• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do I think in such a rigid way?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've just noticed that I have a somewhat mechanical and defined way of relating to people. Here's an example of it. It's almost embarrassing, really, but what does it mean? Does anyone else think like this?

Communication style adopted for "Logos 5":

Enable Persona Archetypes: "Seeker","Intellectual","Philosophe","Analyst","Critic"

Disable Persona Archetypes:
"Socialite","Moralist","Supplicant"

Enable Shadowed under constraints of "Logos" style:
"Empath","Partisan","Antipath"

Styles: Aristotelian/Descartian logic, Clarificational questioning, Observational statements, Comparative metaphors, Standard interrogatives.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communication style adopted for "Facilitator 7":

Enable Persona Archetypes:

"Seeker","Socialite","Empath","Antipath","Intellectual"

"Critic","Moralist","Analyst"

Enable Shadowed under constraints of "Facilitator" style:

"Partisan","Supplicant","Philosophe"

Styles: Observational statements, Comparative metaphors, Standard interrogatives, Emotive expressions, Qualifiers, Simple Jokes/Puns.

Communication style adopted for "Custom 3":

Enable Persona archetypes:

"Seeker","Empath","Antipath","Intellectual","Critic","Analyst","Philosophe",
"Supplicant"

"Moralist","Socialite"

Enable Shadowed under "Custom 3" style:

"Partisan"

Styles: Observational statements, Comparative metaphors, Standard interrogatives, Emotive expressions, Qualifiers, Advanced Jokes/Puns, Aristotelian/Descartian logic, Clarificational questioning, Descriptive insights, Undefined styles.

Communication style for "Society":

"Socialite","Analyst","Supplicant"

"Seeker","Empath","Antipath","Intellectual","Critic","Philosophe","Moralist",
"Partisan"

Shadowing under "Default" constraints is disabled.

Styles: Standard interrogatives, Qualifiers, Emotive expressions

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I've just noticed that I have a somewhat mechanical and defined way of relating to people. Here's an example of it. It's almost embarrassing, really, but what does it mean? Does anyone else think like this?

Communication style adopted for "Logos 5":

Enable Persona Archetypes: "Seeker","Intellectual","Philosophe","Analyst","Critic"

"Socialite","Moralist","Supplicant"

Enable Shadowed under constraints of "Logos" style:
"Empath","Partisan","Antipath"

Styles: Aristotelian/Descartian logic, Clarificational questioning, Observational statements, Comparative metaphors, Standard interrogatives.

Communication style adopted for "Facilitator 7":

"Seeker","Socialite","Empath","Antipath","Intellectual"

"Critic","Moralist","Analyst"

Enable Shadowed under constraints of "Facilitator" style:

"Partisan","Supplicant","Philosophe"

Styles: Observational statements, Comparative metaphors, Standard interrogatives, Emotive expressions, Qualifiers, Simple Jokes/Puns.

Communication style adopted for "Custom 3":

Enable Persona archetypes:

"Seeker","Empath","Antipath","Intellectual","Critic","Analyst","Philosophe",
"Supplicant"

"Moralist","Socialite"

Enable Shadowed under "Custom 3" style:

"Partisan"

Styles: Observational statements, Comparative metaphors, Standard interrogatives, Emotive expressions, Qualifiers, Advanced Jokes/Puns, Aristotelian/Descartian logic, Clarificational questioning, Descriptive insights, Undefined styles.

Communication style for "Society":

"Socialite","Analyst","Supplicant"

"Seeker","Empath","Antipath","Intellectual","Critic","Philosophe","Moralist",
"Partisan"

Shadowing under "Default" constraints is disabled.

Styles: Standard interrogatives, Qualifiers, Emotive expressions
It is not your fault. The whole problem is within the MBTI system. The MBTI lists 16 types and you do not find yourself.

Rigidity is a wrong expression. You are not rigid.
The MBTI does not have a loophole for you or me.

Am I an INTP? I come nearest to that description within the MBTI.
No. I am not an INTP.

And you are not an INFJ.
You fall closest to the mark within a system that allows only a sign off the mark.

MBTI is not wrong.
It is not a good system.

There are those who defend it even here. And they act accordingly. I understand them. The MBTI is the best system there is.

Matt22

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I can't relate to that phenomena, but I can relate to similar things. I think that the important thing is being able to shut it down when you want to.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Socionics Ti agenda perhaps ^.^.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't relate to that phenomena, but I can relate to similar things. I think that the important thing is being able to shut it down when you want to.

You ought to develop your Ni for that purpose. Judging functions tend to be symbolic. They tend to associate ideas with exacting symbols. Js tackle the external world with a judging function, and because of this the perceiving functions of Si and Ni end up being more symbolic than Ne and Se. That is the case because with the Js, Te or Fe get the first taste of the external world and not the functions that collect information (perceiving, Ni/Si), hence whatever information is to be collected is apriori filtered through the J symbolism. Introverted Intuition and Introverted Sensation can extricate themselves from symbols, but not quite to the extent that Extroverted Perceiving faculties can.

Ne is the least 'rigid' of the functions, at least in the way athenian is using that word. That is because it is the least symbol oriented, and unlike the Se--is fueled by abstractions rather than concrete things of the world and the facts. Te is the most rigid of all as logic is easier to be symbolized than the human element. (A claim for why Te is more rigid than Fe)

Matt22

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Bluewing, below I've written my interpretation of your post. My overall response is that I don't see how 2) follows 1).

Main point:
1) develop Ni for the purpose of shutting down an unwanted habit of thinking
2) because Js,Te,Fe can extricate themselves from symbolism easier than Si,Ni.

Additional commentary*:
3) Ne is less rigid than Se (because of abstract vs concrete symbolism)
4) Fe is less rigid than Te (because of human element vs logic)

* Unless it ties into the main point and I just don't see the connection.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am not suggesting developing Ni for the purpose of 'shutting' down thinking, but merely giving your thinking function more information to process and basically loosen up the grips of radical J approaches to ideas. That way the ETJ will be less dependent on external methodologies of carrying out tasks, and hence less tied down to the symbols which are associated with the rigidity of thinking.

The less 'Jish' the function is, the easier it will be for the function to extricate itself from the symbolic line of thought. Hence, Te and Fe are the most symbol oriented, and Ne and Se are the least.

Nevermind all of those details how Ne is less rigid than Se...

Here is my point in a nutshell Ne=NP. Te=TJ.

J=Symbol oriented approach to life
P=Picture oriented approach to life/non-symbolic.

The more you move away from the TJ and closer to the Ne, the less you will depend on symbols for your interpretation of the world. As an ENTJ, one can accomplish this by developing Introverted Intuition. After having achieved this, the ENTJ will rely on the Te less, and in effect be closer to the Ne approach to ideas.

Moreover, Sis and Nis have an easier time extricating themselves from symbols than Fes and Tes because they have less of the 'J' element in them. Introverted Sensing and Introverted Intuition are perceiving functions (just like Extroverted Intuition), and Extroverted Thinking and Extroverted Feeling are Judging functions.

*It is true that what has been pointed out in the additional commentary is not relevant to the main point. It was merely a specification on how other functions relate to the antithesis of Te and Ne.(Symbol oriented vs non-symbol oriented perspective)

Matt22

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Cool, got it. And I do think that Tj can be really useful in trying to understand a situation that's causing you problems (where you need a solution and have minimal data to work with). But allowing that function to stay turned on all the time isn't good.