• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many NF's here have ADD?

elementaltale

MBTI Type
INFP
I was wondering how many here that have the NF personality have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder? If you have it please let me know as I am curious.

Thanks!

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I was diagnosed with it as a kid. Now I wonder.

dynamiteninja

Man for all seasons
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The only person to have it who I know is an ENFJ.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
look, not using the shift key, so yeah!

i am sure everybody who's first function is perceiving has a lot of the symptoms. but in germany many of us would have to take a long car trip, to go to one of the few clinics or doctors that are actually specialized (or even authorized?) to give that diagnosis, or test for it. i imagine they have a DOS computer program that detects infrequent usage of the shift key *g*

no Ritalin at every corner in germany.

also, how many NF types are sweet mouths? cause sugar lights my fire :D

Last edited:

lane777

nevermore
My mom always thought I had ADD. I was tested for it, but the results came out negative. I still think there's a good chance I am though. It's possible that ADD could just be chalked up to an extreme personality trait in some cases, not a medical condition. If in your case, you believe it is a medical problem, the only alternative to drugs which has been successful in treating ADD, is proper diet.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't have ADD, but sometimes I wonder..my mind skips around a lot, though I usually am not one to blurt out everything that pops up. That's probably not ADD, though..I need to do my homework on it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I was wondering how many here that have the NF personality have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder? If you have it please let me know as I am curious.

Thanks!

Is it more likely to happen to NFs or why did you ask ?

My INFJ gf was diagnosed symptomatically ADD recently. She has a problem to filter sensory data and therefore has a hard time to concentrate. Thats why she needs her ear plugs + music in everyday life like medicine

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Almost every NF I know was accused of having ADD, but it was always false accusations.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Based on the opinion of psychiatrists these days, I'm going to guess all of them.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not me.

And why aren't many of these 'symptoms' simply considered components of someones personality? i.e. not everyone is going to have excellent concentration skills, some people are going to have more hyperactive minds/thoughts....why must everyone be the same? It's something that bothers me about western psychology. What historically would have been labeled as eccentricities, or simple personality traits, are now labeled as conditions that require medication.

I understand if a person chooses to go on medication because they desire to function differently in real life and without the medication they are unable to excel/succeed effectively, but calling it a disorder with an implication that treatment is necessary to 'fix' the person doesn't seem like a great solution.

Many of these disorders are just a more extreme version of one particular trait or aspect of personality -- and every individual is going to fall at one point on all of the scales for all of the traits. So with this scale, let's say on one end you have Productive and Never Loses Train of Thought. On the other end you'd have Unproductive and Always Loses Train of Thought. Most people would fall somewhere between those two points. Would it be a bell curve? Or would it be evenly distributed? I'm not sure. There won't be MANY people at either of the actual extremes though. Probably what western medicine is doing is over medicating and giving a large % of those over the median line medicine, saying they're ADD, or whatever. And then the other problem is that a lot of people actually believe something's wrong with them if they're this way, when I don't really see that as the case. Who says you have to be able to fully concentrate all the time? Who defined what is 'Normal' and what is 'Not Normal'?

I would imagine these days most people would get diagnosed with one sort of disorder or another. I'm quite certain at various times in my life I would have gotten some disorder or psychological condition thrown onto my persona - as would pretty much everyone. Whether it be anxiety, depression, or the whole slew of other psychological problems, it's rather what it means to be human.

I doubt there's much correlation with ADD and being an NF. I think most of the disorders fall outside of mbti.

redacted

Yeah I don't really believe in ADD as a specific phenomena. But if you define it as some threshold number of symptoms from a list, then I have it.

elementaltale

MBTI Type
INFP
I sometimes seriously wonder whether I am. It would explain a lot. Check out these links:

Basic details about ADD
ADD with regard to MBTI

The case study of Sara is almost word-for-word a description of me. :shock:

"Another possibility is that there are certain temperament traits that predispose individuals to exhibit behaviors that are characteristic of both ADHD and creativity." - Dr. Bonnie Cramond,

The above is exactly why I was asking.

I was diagnosed with ADD a few years back and told that I had to take medication. The reaction that I had was completely negative. I occured to me that since NF types are so rare could it be that there is a mis diagnosis in people and that ADD's simply are not supposed to be like everyone else? That perhaps there is nothing wrong with them?