• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotionally dead = dead ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Erinavery pretty much said what I was going to say, but basically, sometimes it seems like you're "shouting at the universe, because no one is listening". And you shouldn't have to justify yourself just because you do things differently. I think that being misunderstood is a sentiment lots of people who are into MBTI share, which is why they strive to explain using personality typing.

"Human-score" = kaplooey. No person is a representative sample.

I am sorry if I missled someone but I am not shouting at anyone.
Also I am not justifing my I am trying to show entire thing from a different perspective. Usually it is said that life is not much is nothing without a certan degree of emotions. What I was trying to show is that is not a case.
This thread is not desingned specificly to be about me. It is just that I am the only person I know which like this. So I used myself as an example.

By the way AS, has anyone actually stated that you were "emotionally dead?"

On this form as far as recal no. But there were posts that could suggest that some people could think this. Probably whey were just joking since people usually do that when I use nothing but logic in conversation.

Real life is similar story.

To me this thread is actually very useful feedback.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you have any goals in life AO? If so, why? Emotionally dead is obviously not the same thing as dead. I mean animals aren't dead either.
Animals have emotions. Even reptiles. Limbic system is pretty primitive.

That actually remind me on my human score on a test that rates where you belong as person.
Have you been diagnosed with a PD?
You seem pretty extreme in most of your views. Do you relate to the way that poster expresses himself. E.g. the emptiness, purposelessness? Or are you truly content in yourself?

Do you accept that you do actually have the full range of emotions but they may be separated off from your consciousness (which actually puts you at higher risk of irrational emotional outbursts)?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Feelings can wreak havoc. No denying it. I'd like to be a little more rational than I am. Actually I try pretty hard. There is almost something additive about pure emotion though. Earlier in my life, I was prescribed SSRI's (for depression). It evened out the highs and lows, I stopped eating, sleeping. I really wasn't myself, even my thoughts were slower, which finally become the reason I weaned myself off them. There is something quite disturbing about holding only one or thoughts in your head, when you are used to an almost continuous stream of dialogue in your head. I missed being happy too. I couldn't get deliriously happy, and I thought to myself, it's almost worth going through the low of depression to feel that high again. Ultimately though, it was about being myself. I wasn't me without those swinging highs and lows. I felt dull and dumb, and almost like I was stuffed full of cotton wool on those things.
AO, I kinda feel sad for you, but at the same time, I understand how you are satisfied with low emotionality, because you are right, emotions do complicate things. They do stop you from doing sensible things, and if the SSRI's hadn't slowed my thought processes down, I would still probably be on them, enjoying a little more rationality perhaps, except I would have missed my happy. You are perhaps lucky, then, because you don't miss what you never had.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Animals have emotions. Even reptiles. Limbic system is pretty primitive.

Have you been diagnosed with a PD?
You seem pretty extreme in most of your views. Do you relate to the way that poster expresses himself. E.g. the emptiness, purposelessness? Or are you truly content in yourself?

Do you accept that you do actually have the full range of emotions but they may be separated off from your consciousness (which actually puts you at higher risk of irrational emotional outbursts)?

If PD means personality disorder then the answer is no.

Next to other people I am empty inside since I am cool headed and calm next to other people.
But purposelessness is not my call.
My academic-philosophical position is that life is pointless but in my case that serves more as a drive then it actually a problem.

One of the main points of this thread is that just because someone is quite T and it is not too passionate about things whatever they are does not mean that person is actually dead. What I am doing here is thing to damadge that stereotype.

As a person I can't be classified as a failure. Since that kind of people does not end highschool as best in their class. Right now I am focused on getting a master degree in hard science. With some luck maybe I will even get Ph.D one day. My family accepts who I am since it looks that I will be the most succesful family member.
I think that I am not that much diffrent from other people it is just that I am mostly driven by my own thought.

But it looks to me that I am coming as somewhat more rigid in my posts then I actually I am.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You didn't answer my last question.

And I don't mean purposeless in a 'cosmic' sense - you've already established your belief in that respect. I mean, do you feel purposeless? Do you experience pleasure and joy? How do you define success? What is the point of a Phd if there is no meaning in life?
I was interested in how the person diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder in that other thread felt about his internal void and whether you saw any parallels? I wondered if this might also help to answer your other questions about why we even have emotions in the first place...the alternative seems to be akin to a living death. You even used that somewhat emotive term in your title...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's what i can't understand too. what's the point of your degree...what do you hope to achieve and if there is no value or purpose than where does the drive come from? what kind of work do you hope to do? and why are you interested in it?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
You didn't answer my last question.

And I don't mean purposeless in a 'cosmic' sense - you've already established your belief in that respect. I mean, do you feel purposeless? Do you experience pleasure and joy? How do you define success? What is the point of a Phd if there is no meaning in life?
I was interested in how the person diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder in that other thread felt about his internal void and whether you saw any parallels? I wondered if this might also help to answer your other questions about why we even have emotions in the first place...the alternative seems to be akin to a living death. You even used that somewhat emotive term in your title...

To be honest I am not sure what you exactly mean with purposeless.
Yes, I feel pleasure or joy to somedegree but clearly less then people around me but I do.
How do I define succes? The only way it is possible, by personal criterion.
In my case that is: As long as I am able to grow intellectually further it is succes. Phd is not a goal it is means.

As for that person there are similarities in genaral but I don't indentify myself with that. It seems that the biggest difference actually comes down to J.
Since J without personal judgment can be.

Few posts back I said that I have started to show intrest for people.
The main reason for that is actually my J/Ni-Te.
I see that my current kind of life can last forever, but that is not logical choice.
Also I am aware of fact that intellectual progress is not only progress possible.
I am very J so I don't "stop" while the person can stop since P allows you to "relax". What means that J saves me from becoming a real robot.
(or it is the other way around)

So NT part of me created a goal "become more social".
The main reasons why I joined here is because I find this place to be a very good playground for the research. I am not talking about MBTI here but about psychological/people stuff in general.
What I was trying to say with this thread is that very strong T doesn't necessarily lead to void.

If you make a good joke I would laugh I am not that much fu***** up if that is what you are asking. However I can be closed in my head so I will not register your joke.

I know why we have emotions. What I was saying is that emotions are in conflict with reality and possibilities of technological progress.

Unique

Motion creates emotion, move around, do things

Even for an INTJ there's more to life than sitting in a room randomly thinking... I mean its great and all I spend a lot of time alone myself and I enjoy it... but life is about balance... I wouldn't resign yourself to the fact that you'll never experience certain things because its "the way you are" or because your "INTJ".

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
that's what i can't understand too. what's the point of your degree...what do you hope to achieve and if there is no value or purpose than where does the drive come from? what kind of work do you hope to do? and why are you interested in it?

That is because people look at this as something that is black and white.
Which is not the case in realiity. Just because everything can look pointless that does not mean that this will stay like this forever.
As I said in my large post I actually think that the very term "purpose" is flawed.

I am not sure if you are asking a philosophical question or you ask practical question. Can you specify so that I can give you what you need.

I am planning to be a geologist in my life. What means spending alot of time in the middle of the nowhere or in lab.

Geology is very interesting since it plays with peoples picture of the world.
Another reason is because something in the core of that profession is I would dare to say anti-social.

As my geophysics professor which is clearly INT said : "We are geologist are horrible people. All the time are just begging that something goes very wrong."

Which is because in that cases we are getting more data.

In way it is a perfect job for someone with low empathy. Since geology classes includes watching of recorded tapes of how people died in natural disasters. Or watching picture of cities after earthquake and the most irrelevant thing in all of this is actually suffering.

Probably one of the main reason why I am so cold and apathic is because level on which many people live is no match for my picture of reality.
But that is a long story for some other thread.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

I don't mind, that is how people usually react.

What that means in practical sense is that people have desire to procreate but you don't have a place in which to place those people anymore and it is cleary that you don't have enough resources to make sure that everybody live as they should.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What that means in practical sense is that people have desire to procreate but you don't have a place in which to place those people anymore and it is cleary that you don't have enough resources to make sure that everybody live as they should.

That's just a practical problem.
How does that translate to "emotions are in conflict with reality"? Emotions are reality. You have such a huge blind spot in this area, that it actually makes you say irrational things, ironically.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Emotions are part of being human, whether you like it or not. You will always feel emotions, whether you are aware of it or not. They will unconsciously influence your actions. You cannot escape. :peepwall:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
That's just a practical problem.
How does that translate to "emotions are in conflict with reality"? Emotions are reality. You have such a huge blind spot in this area, that it actually makes you say irrational things, ironically.

No, this is just shorten form.

Word "conflict" is probably a bad translation here.

What I am saying is that human biology is incompatibile with technological progress to some degree. Since sexual drive should have dropped to some degree with creation of modern medicine.

But if you want to real example I can give it to you.

Most people are hoping and want that mankind survives in this reality. But that is impossible. There are only 4 major scenarios that are possible and nither leads to survival.

1.Mankind is destryed by it own weapons
2.Makind is destroyed by evolution which continues until you can't see human traits in that organisms
3.Mankind is destroyed by natural disaster(s)
4.Mankind is consumed/upgraded by its own technology

If you don't add God in this mankind as we know it will disappear with time.

If you(or someone else) wants to talk about this we have other threads.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Emotions are part of being human, whether you like it or not. You will always feel emotions, whether you are aware of it or not. They will unconsciously influence your actions. You cannot escape. :peepwall:

I don't know what this kind of a post supposed to mean. Since I don't claim that I don't have emotions and I don't understand why people have problems with that. My best guess is that it makes them happy.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, this is just shorten form.

Word "conflict" is probably a bad translation here.

What I am saying is that human biology is incompatibile with technological progress to some degree. Since sexual drive should have dropped to some degree with creation of modern medicine.

But if you want to real example I can give it to you.

Most people are hoping and want that mankind survives in this reality. But that is impossible. There are only 4 major scenarios that are possible and nither leads to survival.

1.Mankind is destryed by it own weapons
2.Makind is destroyed by evolution which continues until you can't see human traits in that organisms
3.Mankind is destroyed by natural disaster(s)
4.Mankind is consumed/upgraded by its own technology

If you don't add God in this mankind as we know it will disappear with time.

If you(or someone else) wants to talk about this we have other threads.

Perhaps you are confusing emotion with ethics?

Sexual desire is a biological drive, much like hunger. It's not an emotion.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Perhaps you are confusing emotion with ethics?

Sexual desire is a biological drive, much like hunger. It's not an emotion.

I could be many things since or languages are quite different.

True, sexual desire is not emotion but to me it looks like that standard set of emotions prevents seeing this as a quite large problem.

What do you think about my second example?

The reason why my staitments/arguments look so shallow is because I am trying to make things as simple as possible since this is off topic conversation to some degree. If you want I can create longer explanations.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think about my second example?
That's what I was referring to in the ethics vs. emotions question.

You can be emotional but unethical, or ethical, but unemotional.

Ethics are rational.

Are you advocating against ethics?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
That's what I was referring to in the ethics vs. emotions question.

You can be emotional but unethical, or ethical, but unemotional.

Ethics are rational.

Are you advocating against ethics?

No I don't have problem with ethics. I can even get annoyed if people don't use it enough in really life. But to be honest, when it comes to big picture I have doubts.

Can you explain connection between my example and ethics?
Since toward my clasification of things my example is outcome of scientific theories. There is a connection between the two but it is not that strong towards my opinion.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No I don't have problem with ethics. I can even get annoyed if people don't use it enough in really life. But to be honest, when it comes to big picture I have doubts.

Can you explain connection between my example and ethics?
Since toward my clasification of things my example is outcome of scientific theories. There is a connection between the two but it is not that strong towards my opinion.

You're not really making a lot of sense. I know there is the language barrier, but still.

You haven't talked about emotions at all.

Are you saying that a very emotional person would have trouble accepting the conclusions you have drawn on a 'scientific' basis? So what? Since all you are presenting are doomsday scenarios, I don't see how your attitude is advantageous....
But perhaps I misunderstand.