• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personalities Gone Wrong

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
In the few months that I've been on there I've noticed that several people of several types say things like "An XXXX would *never* do something like *that*." I'm curious why it is that some types seem to be assumed to have disorders while others seem exempt and why people can't imagine anyone with that personality being distorted. All personalities can be distorted, (am I right?) and can go wrong. All personalities can become dysfunctional and a personality does not determine character. All personalities can act outside the norm for their personality if they have a disorder and if it's bad enough. Right?

~Do you think that all personalities have the capacity to 'go wrong'?
~Why do you think it is that some people seem to villainize some personalities and cannonise others?
~Do you think certain personalities are more prone to personality disorders, dysfunction, and mental illness?
~Do you think that each personality is limited in the kind of disorder or illness it can get?
~How far from their natural personality do you think a person can deviate due to illness or disorder or lack of character?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think that all personalities have the capacity to 'go wrong'?

Of course.

Why do you think it is that some people seem to villainize some personalities and cannonise others?

People have, one time or another, been in contact with an unhealthy person. This will lead them to think every kind of person is like that. This is totally stupid, making several million people like one person in your mind. Everyone is different.

Do you think certain personalities are more prone to personality disorders, dysfunction, and mental illness?

As for dysfunction i think the IFPs, EFJs, ETJs, and ITPs have the most potential to be dysfunctional, simply because they will have inferior thinking or feeling, both of which are vital to being human. Those who don't get in touch with it will be dysfunctional.

Do you think that each personality is limited in the kind of disorder or illness it can get?

No.

How far from their natural personality do you think a person can deviate due to illness or disorder or lack of character?

Type shadowing is entirely possible. I'm not sure really. I think I was an INTP before I went through a very stressful time in my life for 4 years.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
No one is exempt from mental illness, chemical poisoning, medical events, brain deterioration.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pfft, better 'an that. No type is exempt from developing into an *sshole.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Pfft, better 'an that. No type is exempt from developing into an *sshole.

That, along with the mental illness thing is what I'm trying to suss out here.

here's another thought, how would an *sshole version of a type differ from a nice-guy version of a type? how could you tell their type beyond JERK?

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think the whole MBTI thing is pretty fluid and a lot of it depends on the situation that you're in at the time that you test a certain type.

Obviously mental illness can happen to anyone! I bet it changes people in different ways too. It's no doubt caused as a result of different stimuli too (like some types might end up ill because they get too stressed, their plans fail etc., others might become ill because of relationship problems or feeling that no-one understands them.)

About 'shadowing' a personality, I actually tested as ENFP in my first year of university. In my opinion this is because right from the beginning I made a deliberate effort to 'become someone else'. I was fed up of being a bit of an outsider and thought I could become the loud one if I had a fresh start where no-one had any expectations of me. It totally worked! I had such a great year partying and meeting new people! Obviously work kicked me down to earth and I reverted to ISTJ. Oh well. (Your friendship groups change too...)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
About 'shadowing' a personality, I actually tested as ENFP in my first year of university. In my opinion this is because right from the beginning I made a deliberate effort to 'become someone else'. I was fed up of being a bit of an outsider and thought I could become the loud one if I had a fresh start where no-one had any expectations of me. It totally worked! I had such a great year partying and meeting new people! Obviously work kicked me down to earth and I reverted to ISTJ. Oh well. (Your friendship groups change too...)

Hmm... interesting, I had sort of the same scenario. I definitely behaved like an E a couple of years, ago and had so much fun while at it. I was loved by all. I was really enjoying it too. Now I find that it's hard to approach others, and I don't have the same good time with people like I used to. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking about it too much now. Back then too, I really made an effort to hang out with people, now I'm not and far more Introverted. It's strange...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
~Do you think that all personalities have the capacity to 'go wrong'?
~Why do you think it is that some people seem to villainize some personalities and cannonise others?
~Do you think certain personalities are more prone to personality disorders, dysfunction, and mental illness?
~Do you think that each personality is limited in the kind of disorder or illness it can get?
~How far from their natural personality do you think a person can deviate due to illness or disorder or lack of character?
The first assumption needed is that the current personality categories are comprehensive in applying in all contexts, complete in defining human behavior, and that the theory is provable, accurate, and a cornerstone to base more complex behavior issues upon.

MBTI and a few other personality theories are compelling and seem to apply in a wide range of scenarios. I am still baffled when people see these as absolute truth. The most common measurements used in most quickie online tests are also about as accurate in measuring where a person lies in that system as the online IQ test measure intelligence. Some of the questions asked are especially problematic because they are open to conflicting interpretations. That being said...

People need ways to simplify reality I suppose especially when it comes to something as complex and personally impacting as human behavior. These personality theories are considered interesting in the field of psychology, but they aren't always considered "canonically true" in and of themselves. When people start applying these "us vs. them" or "good vs. bad" concepts to a personality theory, it is a clear-cut example of old fashioned prejudicial thinking. It would be a rare person online with the expertise in both personality theories and disorders to be able to make any correlations that were meaningful or in the realm of reality.

My own impression is that personality theories are not always applicable to personality disorders. Unfortunately personality theories can be especially useful to people looking to apply prejudicial assumptions that places themselves in a safe or superior category and therefore excluded from disorders and villainous ways (which in its own way is a little mean and nutty)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
BrioChick is correct in that one person of one type might act differently to someone else of the same type.
The confusion here comes as the result of a poor general understanding of what type is.

There is no specific observable action taken by the constituents of type.
What we observe are the holistic aggregate decisions, which only allude to the psychological tendencies we know as type.

No concrete action is exclusive to any type.