• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

People continuing to smoke Cigarettes

BlackMita

Smoking is a waste of money. Even without the health risks...

The "I'll do what I want" argument has never phased my opinion. Especially since everyone I know who smokes has told me they regret having started. Can anybody vouch for smoking making you feel even above mediocre?

IMO, the cause is always shortsightedness or apathy at the time of starting. Having a non-crappy life as a kid / young adult might be the only "cure" ... but you can't really pressure people to seek out all the studies of ciggs being bad, which may change their mind. Most young folk are not inclined to research before sampling.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
So, what are you saying? That there is nothing wrong with people doing things that could harm themselves? Then why do we have laws about seat belts? Laws about not drinking until 21? And why do you believe that I wish to control people? I'm simply saying that it doesn't fit well with many of our other laws and regulations regarding such matters.
I don't think Toonia stated how she, personally, felt about it. She just theorized about what is actually going on. Describing what you see is not the same thing as saying you like what you see or that what you see makes a lot of sense.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
1) Money, especially how some governments say "we are going to put high taxes on smokes to get people to quit". Yah, like they really want that to happen.

2) Cigarettes are addictive, but they do not stop people from being fully functional working people. A lot of drugs were banned because people who were once hard working people who used them recreationally because addicted and were no longer functioning the same way... it became disruptive, or so I've heard. Even something like weed causes a lot of people to slow down, not think as quickly.

Its the same with booze... most people have a couple of beers after work to relax or whatever, but it won't disrupted them the next day, it won't destroy their lives.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
As the introduction of cigarettes was relatively recent, cultural support for the proscription of tobacco will need at least another generation to develop.

It's the oddest habit, though; sort of a neat and pleasureless alcoholism. I don't know any smokers who aren't either resigned, surreptitious or both.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think ultimately there's a reverse aspect to it...

if you tell someone they cannot do something, they will naturally want to do it.
If you tell someone they can, less people will actually do it.

Secondarily, many people smoke from a variety of reasons from peer pressure to a negative coping skill. We have to understand the roots of why they are smoking and why they do it.

thirdly, if you make it illegal it will end up like alcohol - black market, get it elsewhere kind of thing.

Mole

Permabanned
Nicotine is a wonderfully addictive drug because it is water soluble and leaves our body almost as soon as we take it in. And then we feel nicotine withdrawal, and the only way to end nicotine withdrawal symptoms is to have another cigarette. This is wonderful for the profits of the cigarette companies.