• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is effectivity overrated?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I just read an article about this woman who has achieved several academic degrees, is a professor in a university, has acieved a lot in the area of sports, has been a successfull in beauty contest(miss universe type of competition) and even has three kids. She is not too old either and is very good looking and in very good shape. She is also very efficient while taking the buss to the other town (200km's away) where she is working. She uses her work travel time working.

Overall, this woman has all that the society appreciates. She is highly effective, beautiful, very intelligent, slim and in good shape + probably quite lot of money too. So, she is the dream come true of all that is appreciated in the society. I mean who wouldn't like to be her?

But on the other hand, one wise INFP once asked me when I talked about highly effective people in very respectable manner:
Are they happy?

My additions to that question:
Are we even contended with what we have?
Can we appreciate life itself or are we too busy to appreciate anything?

The final question is:
Or is it?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
The question ought to be what's the purpose of being efficient.

Why are you saving time? What are you going to do with the extra?

It's no different from making money. Making money is important... but only up to a point.

Efficiency shouldn't be the end goal... Just like making money shouldn't be the end goal. :)

Does this mean efficiency is overrated? I'd say, no... just misunderstood.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
The question ought to be what's the purpose of being efficient.

Why are you saving time? What are you going to do with the extra?

It's no different from making money. Making money is important... but only up to a point.

Efficiency shouldn't be the end goal... Just like making money shouldn't be the end goal. :)

Does this mean efficiency is overrated? I'd say, no... just misunderstood.

What should be the purpose of being efficient?
Or do you mean that the goal shouldn't be being efficient?
How is efficiency misunderstood?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I underrate the effectivity you describe, in my life.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
What should be the purpose of being efficient?
Or do you mean that the goal shouldn't be being efficient?
How is efficiency misunderstood?

I meant what I said...

Efficiency is a "goal" in improving a process BUT it's not the end onto itself.

People lose sight of the purpose of being efficient... Is there any value in doing something perfectly and as quickly as possible beyond the obvious of it being perfect? What does a 100% on an exam mean? Not much by itself... That's what I meant by "end goal".

In the end, all we need is "good enough" Actually that's what the actual definition of efficiency ought to be. Putting in just enough effort to be "good enough". Not this squeezing every last second of spare time and filling it with work.

Go a good enough job to get by so you have time and resources for what you really want. That is the end goal.

(I just realized Ni + Ne is awfully confusing... very little directional focus at all)

MBTI Type
INxJ
I just read an article about this woman who has achieved several academic degrees, is a professor in a university, has acieved a lot in the area of sports, has been a successfull in beauty contest(miss universe type of competition) and even has three kids. She is not too old either and is very good looking and in very good shape. She is also very efficient while taking the buss to the other town (200km's away) where she is working. She uses her work travel time working.

Overall, this woman has all that the society appreciates. She is highly effective, beautiful, very intelligent, slim and in good shape + probably quite lot of money too. So, she is the dream come true of all that is appreciated in the society. I mean who wouldn't like to be her?

But on the other hand, one wise INFP once asked me when I talked about highly effective people in very respectable manner:
Are they happy?

My additions to that question:
Are we even contended with what we have?
Can we appreciate life itself or are we too busy to appreciate anything?

The final question is:
Or is it?

She could be happy. Who knows.

It's not overrated, if it helps one achieve goals or makes life easier.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think that Nightning said it all.

It is highly debatable what is efficient.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
im happy in my extreme procrastination and lazyness

and if she isn't happy then everything she does is just because she feels that society drives her to do that then to me she is worthless.

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, you know there are people who enjoy working hard.

when one wins lottery one may think they will be free of all problem (let say identity is not broadcasted) and constantly be happy. But not long after, it goes down to just plain average state.

materials doesn't have much to do with happiness as i see it. It's about attitude & personality.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
if she isn't happy then everything she does is just because she feels that society drives her to do that then to me she is worthless.

This is why it might be overrated. Effectivity is useful for society, so people are taught to be effective. What is not taught is the "why". What motivates you to be effective? If it is just that you need to appear like you have it under control and you are a respected member of society, then it seems like waste of time. If all I do for whole my life is to try to fit in, when will I have the time to enjoy my life?

On the other hand... I am quite effective in doing as I please... this isn't what other people mean with the word.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It depends what you are being effective with. If my laundry isn't done but I have read books to my children for an hour what am I being effective about? The reason superficial things are considered a benchmark is because they are easy to tally. If you can see it it's more important, right?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Because when you're effective, you're providing for the needs of other people (usually). This is the only reason why society likes it, and rewards it with money (usually). I personally think that it's very hard to be effective and be unhappy for a large period of time. You can work your ass off at something you dislike for a while, but on the long run happiness and health are a prerequisite to what is usually considered as "success".

Personally, I like working and doing stuff. I can do a lot more stuff when I'm happy, this is for sure - and if I do too much stuff and have no free time, I become unhappy, thus I can do less stuff, thus I end up having more free time, become more happy, and the cycle starts back.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
nah i think if it makes person happy no. but the rest of us our just too lazy to care so please don't remind us how wonderful you are and how much you've accomplished. I mean I don't care that you've done all these things you don't need to brag about it.if it makes you miserable like someone else said then maybe for you it is. It all has to do with the person and not the people.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
nah i think if it makes person happy no. but the rest of us our just too lazy to care so please don't remind us how wonderful you are and how much you've accomplished. I mean I don't care that you've done all these things you don't need to brag about it.if it makes you miserable like someone else said then maybe for you it is. It all has to do with the person and not the people.

Sounds like this is a raw nerve for you. You can't say you don't care but then get upset about it. Being proud of your accomplishments isn't a bad thing. Some people need and want to feel good about the things they have done.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Sounds like this is a raw nerve for you. You can't say you don't care but then get upset about it. Being proud of your accomplishments isn't a bad thing. Some people need and want to feel good about the things they have done.

no that's not what i meant :steam: now you have hit a raw nerve. I'm not getting upset about it, I'm saying if it makes the person happy great if not then why bother? :steam::steam::steam::steam::steam::steam::steam::steam:

what i'm trying to say is if you accomplish something great if you're happy about it. but if you're more miserable then before then that's regretable.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
no that's not what i meant :steam: now you have hit a raw nerve. I'm not getting upset about it, I'm saying if it makes the person happy great if not then why bother? :steam::steam::steam::steam::steam::steam::steam::steam:

what i'm trying to say is if you accomplish something great if you're happy about it. but if you're more miserable then before then that's regretable.

:doh: Sorry for the misunderstanding.

wolfy

awsm
Like other people said it's are you being efficient for it's own sake.
Before climbing up the ladder of success make sure you've got the right wall.
Efficiency and productivity matter but they're not the be all and end all.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
you should not assume that just because you would be unhappy in such a person's shoes that they too are unhappy with the efforts they've taken in life.

in fact, i would argue that those who are "in touch" with what they consider to be their own normalcy know no better how to be happy than the most iconic among us, except that at least the latter makes an effort to be active and make positive contributions to themselves and their world.

i think the attitude that it's more important to be "real" than to succeed in the eyes of others is often abused as a rationalization not to make an effort to actualize our own [unique] potential. simply because someone doesnt have "popular" ambitions doesnt mean that they dont have their own brand of success to strive towards.