• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Differences between ESTP/ISTP and ENTJ

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Okay this might seem a really stupid question, but a girl who I have always considered ESTP/ISTP might be an ENTJ. Basically my question is, how do I confirm a person is each of these types? What distinct characteristics give it away?

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
SPs and NTs are really different. :)

If she were an SP she would probably be indifferent to systems, control, organization, all that fun stuff. ENTJs are like....leaders. ESTPS seem to be neither leaders nor followers.

I have a hard time distinguishing between ISTP and ESTP though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this just kinda came up in a conversation...so...jack nicholson...entj?? estp??

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
his role in shining makes me think of ENTJ
He has the crazy entj eye!

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
SPs and NTs are really different. :)

If she were an SP she would probably be indifferent to systems, control, organization, all that fun stuff. ENTJs are like....leaders. ESTPS seem to be neither leaders nor followers.

I have a hard time distinguishing between ISTP and ESTP though.

Generally true, but ISTPs are commonly confused with INTPs and INTJs. :yes:

How one could be confused with an ENTJ or and ESTP is another question altogether. :shock:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
explain it to me then...please. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'll check it out thanks. :)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

This makes sense. She seems ISTP. The love of learning skills and drive to action is stronger than the pure theoretical. It is hard to type in a girl though, because they are less likely to be into cars or electronics, and blowing things up :).

What are you like in general? In terms of interests, approach to things, etc?

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Generally true, but ISTPs are commonly confused with INTPs and INTJs. :yes:

How one could be confused with an ENTJ or and ESTP is another question altogether. :shock:

I guess I could see that. Don't see a problem distinguishing between temperaments after getting to know people though.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
As Kendoiwan purports there are similarities between STPs and NTJs, particularly ESTP/ENTJ and ISTP/INTJ. Contrary to what has been misstated the two thinking type SPs are very similar to the judging type NTs due to similar interaction styles and because Ni-Te and Ti-Se combinations whether reversed are identical to on-lookers per Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi’s booklet, Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to the Personality Type Code.

I think that ISTPs can confuse themselves as ESTPs and vice-versa, when both are using their auxiliary functions well. I think that ISTPs can also confuse itself with ENTJ when they revert to their tertiary function (Ni). Where the difference is, is that the ISTP will confuse a lot of their Se usage as being Te for no other reason as that they are using Ni. As an ISTP I have confused myself as being ESTP/ENTJ for extended periods.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thank you....that's what i wanted to see. :)

T

ThatGirl

Oddly enough, I have seen this similarity often. They both dont really care about bringing harmony to others, stand alone even in front of the crowd, and the mature versions of each tend to need a lot of space and are quiet sucessful.

The difference, get them to talk about their long term goals, that will create the distinction instantly.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Do all three types make lists and draw clear plans? Like is that an S or Ti thing or is orderly laying out clear plans for things before doing them more a xNxJ thing?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Lol? SPs and lists?

:). I'm guessing that is a no for SPs?

Is emphasis on correct, efficient and clear communication also an NTJ trait not an SP one? Like avoiding words that may confuse the listener etc. so clear communication is paramount in writing and speaking rather than sounding intelligent or stylish.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You are also grammatically incorrect, my dear sirs.

G

garbage

Do all three types make lists and draw clear plans? Like is that an S or Ti thing or is orderly laying out clear plans for things before doing them more a xNxJ thing?

Nah, that's mostly Te/Ni, so xNTJ would be much, much more prone to do so. SP is more about seizing immediate opportunities on the fly than developing more long-term plans. Both types can be seen as planning to a certain extent, but xNTJ is more likely to chart or make lists and to think farther into the future.

Is emphasis on correct, efficient and clear communication also an NTJ trait not an SP one? Like avoiding words that may confuse the listener etc. so clear communication is paramount in writing and speaking rather than sounding intelligent or stylish.

And yes, my default mode of operation is very direct communication.. I'm not as sure about SP's. I think the main difference between xNTJ and SP communication would be in the content or subject of what they're talking about, the N being more conceptual (but still direct) and the S being more concrete.