• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

misperceptions

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Today, I watched some interview with the Obamas and an interesting question was posed to Michelle about herself and Barack, individually:

What is a common misperception people have of you?

I was looking to read responses, but it's always more interesting if the OP answers as well, I suppose, so I will contribute.

People often think that I have led an easy life because I'm a positive, even bubbly person. Most recently, when I checked a girl on such a comment of hers, she said "I bet you've never even had your heart broken."

It's like where the hell are you coming up with these assertions???

Just because you're moving doesn't mean the current's with ya, you know?

K I have to go.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People assume I'm a neo-Nazi for some reason.

Mole

Permabanned
Just because you're moving doesn't mean the current's with ya, you know?

If I tune in to what is expected of me, I am perceived.

But when I tune in to my own desires, hopes and fears, I am misperceived.

If I flow with the expected current, I am perceived.

But if I row against the current, I am a troll.

S

Sniffles

People seem to mistake me for some Bible-thumping fundamentalist member of the Christian Right.

That and your standard Faux News "Conservative" who idolises O'Reilly or Hannity, and fantasizes about Ann Coulter. Oh yeah, the Democrats are the reason why the Dinosaurs went extinct.

Those are probably the two biggest ones I keep encountering here.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I sometimes feel misperceived--it is easy to be misunderstood when you don't reveal much of yourself to others--and yet I find in every 'misperception' there is an inkling of truth to it, so I don't know. I think a common misperception from others is that I've got my shit together and I'm tough, but a little digging and you'll find that I don't and I'm not.

Mole

Permabanned
People seem to mistake me for some Bible-thumping fundamentalist member of the Christian Right.

That and your standard Faux News "Conservative" who idolises O'Reilly or Hannity, and fantasizes about Ann Coulter. Oh yeah, the Democrats are the reason why the Dinosaurs went extinct.

Those are probably the two biggest ones I keep encountering here.

You do describe yourself as a Conservative Catholic, Peguy.

But in no catholic church, in any part of the world, are pews reserved for Conservative Catholics.

And my local priest tells me that the Church has a policy of the separation of Church and State - "render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's".

So he told me there are no pews reserved for Conservative Catholics, or Liberal Catholics, or Anarchist Catholics because this would violate the policy of the separation of Church and State.

In fact he went further to say that were no such thing as Conservative Catholics.

"But what about Peguy?", I said.

"Well", said Father, "It's his birthday and we should wish him happy returns and forget about all the rest."

"Yes Father", I said.

Happy birthday, Peguy.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
-That I do a lot of drugs. I don't, and ironically I probably would more if people didn't assume I did arbitrarily.

-That I have bizarre moral codes. Today my brother said he didn't get me a Hurley shirt because somehow I have a moral code against Hurley and the local store that sells Hurley stuff and I "think I'm better than everyone". I was fucking floored, it made no sense at all, and I own plenty of stuff from that store that I wear regularly, including today, as this conversation took place. He said I was against evil big business, which I'm not, and neither of those are. Maybe I used to be like that?... I don't even know. I'm ranting, but the whole conversation was very strange, and he isn't even the first person to assume that.

-That I think I'm smarter than everyone. I don't care about intelligence at all, and more than anything I hate people who think they are amazing because they are smart. I just generally don't take myself seriously enough.

/christmas ranting

G

garbage

People seem to think that I'm perfect, confident, and capable of most anything. That I demonstrate what I know with finesse, that I can quickly and easily devise plans and lead people with full confidence in what I'm doing.

In reality, I'm so neurotic and obsessed with trying to become an absolute perfect individual that I can't help but see myself as very, very flawed much of the time. I therefore end up having no idea why people have high hopes for me, or why they follow me to the ends of the earth without question as they're prone to do.

I'm getting much, much better about accepting myself, but that's only been a recent development. I still have bouts with leftover anxiety and depression at times.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
It's extraordinary, but some people actually think that I give a shit.

And it's like, no I don't.

Seriously though, some people think that I know what I'm talking about, others think that when I start nod-only responses that I actually want the conversation to continue, most people assume that I'm straight when they meet me, someone even had the audacity to refer to me as a "people person" based on no evidence, except by virtue of the fact that I was nodding while they talked at me

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People think that because I'm so lonely, I must be desperate and standardless.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It astounds me that even the most intimate people in my life think I am the glue that holds my crazy family together, when in fact I am the divisive one, with my wayward little heart and all.

Blueberry LaLa

MBTI Type
INFP
-That I have bizarre moral codes. Today my brother said he didn't get me a Hurley shirt because somehow I have a moral code against Hurley and the local store that sells Hurley stuff and I "think I'm better than everyone". I was fucking floored, it made no sense at all, and I own plenty of stuff from that store that I wear regularly, including today, as this conversation took place. He said I was against evil big business, which I'm not, and neither of those are. Maybe I used to be like that?... I don't even know. I'm ranting, but the whole conversation was very strange, and he isn't even the first person to assume that.

Yes, I get this, too. I would add that people think I have bizarre, inflexible moral codes.

For example, someone gave me an Xmas present and said, "Oh, and I made sure I wrapped it in recycled paper for you and did this and this and this..." and I didn't know where that came from. It's like, I don't care, I'm not judging you -- just because I have ideas about how to live my life doesn't mean I apply those standards to you!

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Once I decide what other people perceive of me, I'll see if they are misperceiving me. Somehow I think people see my words but they don't understand where they come from.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well people seem to think that I know everything, and that I can "give them advice" on "how to do things" on, basically, everything, and that I understand everything new "on sight". And also they get kind of pissed when I can't.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well people seem to think that I know everything, and that I can "give them advice" on "how to do things" on, basically, everything, and that I understand everything new "on sight". And also they get kind of pissed when I can't.

lol. I think that makes sense in the context of ENTj-ness.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems like people who don't know me can underestimate me because initially I can be quiet.

á´…eparted

passages
A lot of people assume I am a shy (depressed) introvert when they see me sitting by myself in public not interacting with anyone.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People think I'm funny but what they don't realize is that I actually have no sense of humor at all.