• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you ever ask question if you know the answer?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I do this all the time just to make sure that I know what the other person is thinking.
For me this is a good way to start a conversation since my interest are narrow and I usually know more about the topic then the other person.
In many cases I am interested what other person is thinking so this is the easiest way to check it out and to verify what person knows/doesn't know next to my knowledge. People are usually open about this, but is it because they don't know what I am doing?

Why is doing this is such a big problem for some people?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some possiblities

They may think you are patronizing them.

They may think you are wasting their time that they could be doing other things.

Also some people are prima donnas and think that the world owes it to them to entertain them and will scuff at you if you don't spark a certain level of interest in them.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i personally just have more respect for a straight forward approach. i prefer someone to say...i've been thinking about this...and i believe this to be true and this is the impression i get from you...is this accurate?

same results..less time...more respectful...imo.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well!! what's your point then?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
well!! what's your point then?

INTJ like to do this just more make sure that they have right information to make their plan more stabile which is personal information in many cases.
This is something that is in our blood.

Bur here is one good example.

You said that you like straight forward aproach and I don't understand why you don't see this as a straight forward aproach?

What I am saying is that always something that is unrelated to the topic can come out in the conversation.
Gathering of information is something I was "build" for.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I never do this. Of course I'm not conceited to think I know what the answer is, so maybe it doesn't come up often.

Also, I don't think this instance applies unless you already know what every single person is going to say or their reasons why.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In many cases I am interested what other person is thinking so this is the easiest way to check it out and to verify what person knows/doesn't know next to my knowledge. People are usually open about but is it because they don't know what I am doing?

this part i guess...the playing innocent or dumb...pretending not to know...to gain truth or understanding rather then just asking.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
You have problem with hidden agenda?

Since this aproach is usually qute direct.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's not direct if they don't know what you're doing and you lead them to believe you know less then you do.

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
Never if I 100% know the answer. Why ask?

Sometimes I'll ask a question if I have an idea of the answer, but I'm not completely sure. I'd hate to go running around with the wrong idea.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Yes, because I like to hear someone elses point of view before I influence them with my way of looking at it.

Plus just because I think I know an answer doesn't mean my answer is the correct one so I like to hear other views, go off and digest the information some more before I settle on what feels right to me.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Never if I 100% know the answer. Why ask?

Sometimes I'll ask a question if I have an idea of the answer, but I'm not completely sure. I'd hate to go running around with the wrong idea.

In my case many times it has nothing to do with knowledge it is just that this is a good way to start a conversation.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
In casual conversation, as a means to get the dialogue going. Otherwise, generally not, mostly because the only truths that I am certain of are strictly factual ones.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I often ask questions when I'm fairly certain of an answer.. for a few reasons:

a. I like to see other people's perspectives on things, and take that data into consideration regarding my final judgement. (Most of the time, however, my personal concept/idea/perspective on the topic doesn't change much once I've received outside feedback)

b. It's a good way to compare our perspectives on varying topics.
As much as I appreciate the direct approach, and prefer it when people interact with me, I personally tend to ask people questions "around" my main question, so I can figure out the best way to approach them with certain things. Getting answers to bigger questions without them realizing it sometimes.

c. It's an interesting conversation starter, and depending on our own unique views, can branch out to a rich variety of directions within our discussion.

d. If they don't know the answer.. well, I enjoy the fact that I've gotten them to explore a new topic and expand their horizons.

e. I sometmes like 'teaching' people about new topics/concepts.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Lexicon's post summarized why I use questions as well.

I naturally question everything so almost every time I open my mouth out pops a question. Sometimes the questions are rhetorical, sometimes devil's advocate and sometimes a genuine question. I rarely volunteer information about myself and asking other people questions is a natural way to avoid that. I like finding out what makes other people tick, questions are the way to do that.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I rarely volunteer information about myself and asking other people questions is a natural way to avoid that. I like finding out what makes other people tick, questions are the way to do that.

:yes:

Ha, I volunteer more information about myself via these forums than I would initially getting to know another person, in-person.
Only once I have a decent idea of how that particular person ticks, will I feel comfortable offering them a decent amount of personal information.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Posing questions helps me think. Most of the time I answer my own questions, but other people usually have a different approach to the problem which I'm interested in knowing.

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
If somebody insists on helping me, for whatever reason, I will ask them the most basic of questions regarding the subject, and upon receiving their answer say, "Oh! I get it know."