• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dirge of a Need for Therapy

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Okay, so I've finally given in. My best friend has suggested to me for a while that I locate a psychologist in my area and attempt to get some help there for problems with depression, stress, etc. (It seems like with the depression comes a myriad of problems.) I resisted it for a long time with the self-message and thoughts that they'd probably just want to put me on side effect-laden drugs, etc. Or that it would be ineffective. Another hindrance has been the idea of the monetary cost involved. None in my immediate family can really afford it. Nevertheless, I think I've made a step forward.

I called one place and a woman referred me to call another group in the area, when they were open, during normal business hours. (At least she was nice about it.) I'm soooo hoping that there's someone out there who does service for cheaper, or perhaps probono.

What motivated me recently was number one an absolute lack of sleep from insomnia resulting from a fear of immanent death and non-existence, coupled with somewhat suicidal thoughts.

So guys, what do you think? In addition, what are the odds that there are services in my area for those who can't afford it?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I think it's good you're taking a step to make yourself better. I share your trepidation for prescribed drugs as help, but I feel that merely taking the step to make yourself better is such a big one that you should feel very proud of yourself. Hope it all goes well.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think it's good you're taking a step to make yourself better. I share your trepidation for prescribed drugs as help, but I feel that merely taking the step to make yourself better is such a big one that you should feel very proud of yourself. Hope it all goes well.

Thanks. I hope I can find someone that I'll really connect with.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think many people face the same trepidation when anticipating the challenges of pursuing emotional health, Eldanen. Should you connect with a therapist those concerns can be adressed by you in your initial meeting.

I think many, if not most, counties in the US have Human Services divisions which can be contacted through your county's government and can provide you information about people who are available to assist you with a sliding fee scale. I'd imagine you could expect a considerable wait for services this particular year. So getting that first call in quickly is a good idea.

Our county is presently having to add additional staff and is running about three months behind. Same with local psychology professionals. It appears we have an epidemic of folks coming to the same conclusion as you regarding wanting a little help.

If you are a student, it is also possible that there are counseling services available to you through your education program.

There are also a myriad of useful self-help groups available independently which address various issues.

Good luck!