• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random thoughts on Intuition and Sensing

wolfy

awsm
There's actually a children's picure book of scenes created entirely out of vegetables.

What does kohlrabi reminds you of? :shock: It's always looked vaguely sci-fi to me.

kohlrabi.jpg

This one reminds me of Salvador Dali

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you look at Mona Lisa, both sensor and intuitor tell you it is beautiful.

That's definitely not true. I wouldn't tell you it is beautiful. ;)

For INFPs, Si is the tertiary function, which gets developed usually sometime in a person's teenage years. If you're beyond being a teenager, then chances are you're developing it, and you enjoy using it.

I think those are big assumptions to make about people's internal workings. I don't agree with this set-in-stone "function order" for people of a certain type.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
its just a difference in communication styles mainly. intuitve = abstract. sensor = concrete

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
No, the original poster said that. And I'm saying that Sensing does actually mean equating fog with Monet paintings, since you have to use your senses to see and remember both the fog and the Monet painting. No intuition. Intuition is abstract and non-concrete.

I wouldn't put it past someone who prefers Thinking and who likes art to say the same thing. It's the sort of activity that anyone who is tuned in to noticing natural beauty and appreciating art could do. Obviously the dad in the OP was just a boring, dull, non-artistic person who has zero appreciation for beauty -- and that does NOT --repeat NOT-- equal having a preference for Sensing!

Listen Sarah, I think you are reading too much into my original post, and I think the only bashing being done here is by you. I never said I was right, and never said most of the things you are implying that I said. I was asking not affirming. You are coming to way too many conclusions about me and the way I think, from just a post's worth of material.

If you feel like I was bashing your type, know that it was not my intention, but I really think you are just makinkg things up that weren't even in my post. Actually think my post even said that I didn't think any type was better than the other.

You know, my father is not a dull person at all, just different, and that was all that I intended to demonstrate by my post. He is one of my best friends actually. Of course, you can't know that by my one post, nor can you know much else about me.

Oh yes, one more thing.

I seriously think you have issues.

There! Now I judged you just as blindly as you judged me! :D

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
Oh yeah, Sarah, if you think this is what I'm saying:

"I really can't stomach anyone who believes that IN ORDER TO APPRECIATE ART, YOU HAVE TO PREFER INTUITION. It's offensive and untrue. Anyone can appreciate art, and noticing "Monet-ness" in the world around you does not equal having a preference for intuition."

Then you are very wrong.

[edited by proteanmix]

Last edited:

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Oh yeah, Sarah, if you think this is what I'm saying:

"I really can't stomach anyone who believes that IN ORDER TO APPRECIATE ART, YOU HAVE TO PREFER INTUITION. It's offensive and untrue. Anyone can appreciate art, and noticing "Monet-ness" in the world around you does not equal having a preference for intuition."

[edited by proteanmix]:

Hey man, instead of taking all of that personally.. how about listening and making something positive from it?

I think her reaction was strong, but it was building for a while. There are all kinds of implied insults to S types by attributing everything that's creative and interesting to the N. Even if it wasn't what you were saying, at least acknowledge it and move on.

I don't think the N vs. S thing has much to do with appreciating art. I actually think Fi and Fe play a big part in the whole picture but it's difficult to articulate.

Art, music, dance.. all those forms of expression are meant to invoke some kind of feeling - which I believe aids in the ability to appreciate something as art.

Last edited by a moderator:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yea, kestrel's right. I don't think that Sarah's post was meant to be offensive.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Listen Sarah, I think you are reading too much into my original post, and I think the only bashing being done here is by you. I never said I was right, and never said most of the things you are implying that I said. I was asking not affirming. You are coming to way too many conclusions about me and the way I think, from just a post's worth of material.

If you feel like I was bashing your type, know that it was not my intention, but I really think you are just makinkg things up that weren't even in my post. Actually think my post even said that I didn't think any type was better than the other.

You know, my father is not a dull person at all, just different, and that was all that I intended to demonstrate by my post. He is one of my best friends actually. Of course, you can't know that by my one post, nor can you know much else about me.

Oh yes, one more thing.

I get you're joking to a point. I'll give my view on it anyway.

I found Sarah to have no issues and pretty much agree she had a right to defend her territory here. The first post was not meant to be offensive, but it perpetuated some misunderstandings that were damaging to Sarah's type. The connection with where it overstepped might be the problem for you, because different types are sensitive to different things.

But some things are global. Like if I suggested that ENFPs cared more about people and INFJs cared more about making tea for them, then you would find it insulting, and you'd feel the need to defend it. In a way that was the part that was found offensive by Sarah. The original post questioned her type as being weak on one of its strong points. One that would seem immediately obvious to her and a lot of types. It naively concluded something that seemed damaging to her. It might not have seemed damaging to you. But the fact it felt damaging to her is a good sign that it might have been damaging, because she was the one in the firing line, not the one guessing from behind the gun.

Most ISFPs don't conflict very often, well most Fi types don't. So when they do it is normally something they feel strongly about relating to effects on people. Take the opportunity to learn from it, appreciate differences and meet half way. Because these things often dissolve into arguments for no good reason.

Sarah had to argue the first part though, because a misconception had been formed that she felt the need to clarify. And most people who were N did not agree with her until quite a way into the thread. So it was useful for her to do. We learnt a lot more than if she'd been diplomatic and left it.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp

Oh yes, one more thing.

I'm saying that I am as majorly different from your father as you and your mother are. I'm also saying that this is not related to type preferences. Before you leap to conclusions that liking or admiring something is based on type, perhaps it might be good to remind yourself that it's not WHAT a person chooses to do, or love, or appreciate, that's an indicator of type, but WHY he or she chooses it, and that it's always best to ask people of those other types/temperaments for their reasons why rather than make assumptions. Making negative assumptions and then telling other people about what they're supposed to be like (according to you) can be very annoying.

Also, I think timing matters -- people who have to drive in foggy weather may not appreciate it at the time, but may be quite able to appreciate the beauty it all if they're not driving, and I don't think that's in any way type related. So before you make some blanket statement that everyone of your dad's type is just like him, you might want to consider that it may have NOTHING to do with type at all.

I'm very tired of hearing nonsense written about what it means to have a preference for Sensing. I see it all over the place on the internet, and it's very tiresome. Sometimes I just roll my eyes and say nothing, but occasionally I get so sick of it that I have to say something about it. You're welcome to call that "having issues" if you want.

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
I'm saying that I am as majorly different from your father as you and your mother are. I'm also saying that this is not related to type preferences. Before you leap to conclusions that liking or admiring something is based on type, perhaps it might be good to remind yourself that it's not WHAT a person chooses to do, or love, or appreciate, that's an indicator of type, but WHY he or she chooses it, and that it's always best to ask people of those other types/temperaments for their reasons why rather than make assumptions. Making negative assumptions and then telling other people about what they're supposed to be like (according to you) can be very annoying.

Also, I think timing matters -- people who have to drive in foggy weather may not appreciate it at the time, but may be quite able to appreciate the beauty it all if they're not driving, and I don't think that's in any way type related. So before you make some blanket statement that everyone of your dad's type is just like him, you might want to consider that it may have NOTHING to do with type at all.

I'm very tired of hearing nonsense written about what it means to have a preference for Sensing. I see it all over the place on the internet, and it's very tiresome. Sometimes I just roll my eyes and say nothing, but occasionally I get so sick of it that I have to say something about it. You're welcome to call that "having issues" if you want.

To put it simply, I approach everything here, including my post, from a learning perspective, trial and error, which maybe wasn't clear from my first post, and you know, I always admit I could be wrong with no problem (at least to myself, which may not be apparent from my post).

I just found it interesting and annoying that you didn't read that I thought sensors could have these thoughts, and that I don't think any type is better than the other.

Please don't judge me!

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
I get you're joking to a point. I'll give my view on it anyway.

I found Sarah to have no issues and pretty much agree she had a right to defend her territory here. The first post was not meant to be offensive, but it perpetuated some misunderstandings that were damaging to Sarah's type. The connection with where it overstepped might be the problem for you, because different types are sensitive to different things.

But some things are global. Like if I suggested that ENFPs cared more about people and INFJs cared more about making tea for them, then you would find it insulting, and you'd feel the need to defend it. In a way that was the part that was found offensive by Sarah. The original post questioned her type as being weak on one of its strong points. One that would seem immediately obvious to her and a lot of types. It naively concluded something that seemed damaging to her. It might not have seemed damaging to you. But the fact it felt damaging to her is a good sign that it might have been damaging, because she was the one in the firing line, not the one guessing from behind the gun.

Most ISFPs don't conflict very often, well most Fi types don't. So when they do it is normally something they feel strongly about relating to effects on people. Take the opportunity to learn from it, appreciate differences and meet half way. Because these things often dissolve into arguments for no good reason.

Sarah had to argue the first part though, because a misconception had been formed that she felt the need to clarify. And most people who were N did not agree with her until quite a way into the thread. So it was useful for her to do. We learnt a lot more than if she'd been diplomatic and left it.

Well I have no problem with that, with clarification. That's mostly why I come here anyway.

The problem I do have is unnecessary agression (and unwarranted I might add) and when people assume I stand for things that I don't stand for, and make judgments based on these false assumptions. I do take offense to that.

Again I might have not been clear enough on my post, but I do not have a problem with alternate points of view, or with the fact that I could be wrong.
Hell, that's exactly why I posted this in the first place, for the opportunity to hear from both sides, to confer, to reject or to accept, in short to learn. I was merely speculating, capice?

Crucify me already...

I'll supply the music...:violin:

;)

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
Here's a sample of a typical conversation between my ISTJ husband and me which took place last night after a lovely snowfall.

"Look out the kitchen window."

"Oh. The snow is really getting high. I guess that means I'll be running the snowblower tomorrow."

"Yes, it is. Look. Just look at that!"

Yeah. It's damn cold out. I think I'll go down and put a couple more logs in the stove."

And off he goes leaving me dreamily standing at the window watching the blue and purple shadows play on the sparkling snow. Sigh.

Can he see that? Oh yes. He has a fine eye for color, proportion and beauty in nature. But it's not the most important thing on his list of many things to do.

I feed my spirit; he feeds the woodstove. We feed each other.

This is quite beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Crucify me already...

I'll supply the music...:violin:

;)

For what it's worth, I don't think your original post was insulting to Sensors, and honestly I think the oversensitive "OMG yer senser-bashing!" type reactions to innocent questions are just as annoying as the "ESTJs need to all die cuz i hate my dad" type of posts.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^ awww...anja that is sweet. ;)

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
For what it's worth, I don't think your original post was insulting to Sensors, and honestly I think the oversensitive "OMG yer senser-bashing!" type reactions to innocent questions are just as annoying as the "ESTJs need to all die cuz i hate my dad" type of posts.

I agree totally.

And FTR, I love my ESTJ dad! :D

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Since Si has to do with memory, wouldn't seeing scenery and relating it to a painting you've seen be an example of Si?
This really depends on what it reminded her of. If Monet paints that kind of painting, then yes, probably Si. If he paints things that aren't at all like what she was seeing, then maybe that was N. But I don't know much about this stuff yet.