• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What does it mean to be "open minded"?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
often used, rarely defined... what meaning does it have to you?

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
being pluralistic or subscribing to pluralism ?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Hm. An interesting question, I think this is a word that revolves around situation for me.

Open-minded could mean to take into consideration my ideas or the group's ideas instead of deciding that whatever you have to say is absolute when it comes to project or work based things...

Open-minded could also mean being understanding or non-judgmental if it's something more personal, or if I'm confiding in someone.

I use it occasionally to indicate that someone's being too prideful and not humbling themselves enough in a situation requiring it. It's a nice way of saying "Shut the hell up and stop making an ass of yourself."

I think in the end though it's a lot to do, for me, with the request to temporarily ignore one's personal bias and beliefs in order to better understand and help someone or a situation.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Open minded people, as I see it, acknowledge when they don't know whether or not they like something. Close-minded people say they hate things that they have never really been exposed to, i.e. unfamiliar movies and music. An open minded person may not want to watch or listen to such things, but at least will admit that they might be good.

Kollin

MBTI Type
INXP
I think of openmindedness as being able to entertain new ideas and ways of thinking and doing things. I've met quite a few people who like things done the way they always have and aren't interested in changing anything. you could call it "tradition". Then there are some who are like screw "tradition" and do it however they see fit.

those that are less traditional are a lot of times seen as more "openminded".

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
As according to 5 factor personality...

Openness refers to being responsive to variety of experiences. Appreciation for different sort of art, music, activity... also lumped with being imaginative. Although the commonly used lay definition of being open-minded has nothing to do with the imagination.

My working definition would be open to exploration. Which means when we're approaching a subject, we shouldn't have any predefined notion... or even direction as to where or what the answer might be. Open-mindedness in the freest sense would have no judgment... and thus one also cannot make any decisions. So open-mindedness, up to a point, is good to have. Taken too far, it paradoxically stalls progress.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
an open-minded person is someone who's close-minded about being close-minded.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Moved from relationships to other psychology topics.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Open mindedness is : "not looking down on others for being or thinking different" except when they step on your values.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think open mindedness is a being willing to consider the other persons point of view and to try to set asside emotional judgements for a time before deciding what you think or feel or to check something out before making a value judgement on it.

But, I know that that's not the definition of a lot of people.

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
Obviously, everyone will have slightly different interpretations. Personally, whether or not someone is open-minded relies heavily on the circumstances, but generally I believe it’s just general receptivity. You may not have to actually like something, but being willing to accept whatever it is as valid.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Being willing to consider something new or different.

Being receptive to new data.

I also like to think of "openness to experience" when I think of open mindedness.

That works for me ^

Rainman

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Being open to think about and rationally consider suggestions or opinions other than your own.

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
The ability to understand that there can be view and opinions other than your own, that are perfectly valid.
Embracing new ideas and experiences.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
often used, rarely defined... what meaning does it have to you?

Not jumping to negative conclusions and acting on that before you know the facts. Not making instant and final assessments without thinking through why you came to that conclusion.

Also, it's about taking stock of the needs of the current situation and acting on that rather than stubbornly clinging to what "should" ideally work or what "used to" work.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i think it has two definitions. a pure definition of open mindedness and the definition as defined by society which would be the couple that were mentioned above. pure open mindedness to me would be listening to everything and taking it into full account with absolutely no bias whatsoever. i would find this to be quite hard (though not impossible) as most people have their own opinions. in terms of society it would be receptive to new ideas, as stated above.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Open-minded is following your own curiosities wherever they might lead.

Being receptive to other's views or ideas is called conforming which frequently leads to closed-mindedness.