• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many of us take psychiatric medication?

Are you currently taking psychiatric medication?

• I'm extroverted, and yes.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I'm extroverted, and no.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I'm introverted, and yes.

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • I'm introverted, and no.

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • NF, and yes.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • NF, an no.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • NT, and yes.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • NT, and no.

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • SJ, and yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SJ, and no.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • SP, and yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SP and no.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • J and yes.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • J and no.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • P and yes.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • P and no.

Votes: 32 39.0%

• Total voters

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm wondering if there are any correlations between type and using psychiatric medication, and also what kind of medication a certain type might be more likely to take.

I've been prescribed adderall and ambien for a short time. On both occasions, it was me who suggested to the doctor to prescribe it. I don't take any now.

There are six main groups of psychiatric medications.

* Antidepressants, which are used to treat disparate disorders such as clinical depression, dysthymia, anxiety, eating disorders and borderline personality disorder.[2]
* Stimulants, which are used to treat disorders such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy and to suppress the appetite.
* Antipsychotics, which are used to treat psychoses such as schizophrenia and mania.
* Mood stabilizers, which are used to treat bipolar disorder and schizoaffective disorder.
* Anxiolytics, which are used to treat anxiety disorders.
* Depressants, which are used as hypnotics, sedatives, and anesthetics.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Does coffee count?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i was prescribed some anxiety medicine for stress..but i've only taken like two since he prescribed them months ago.
eta: xanex i think...(how do you spell that??)
i don't ever want to have to take something all the time...so i told him i didn't want anything like that.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I would never take psychoactives. I am uncomfortable even with alcohol.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I only do once in a while when I need to relaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I took psychiatric medication nearly all my life but I've recently taken myself off of it, although I'll occasionally pop in an Adderall if I feel inclined.

I was on a wide range of SSRIs, such as Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, and Celexa. I was also on Effexor for a little while.

I was on Risperdal, which is an antipsychotic.

I took Ritalin for a little while, too.

Now I need to lay off the caffeine. And maybe the Internet and video games.......NAH!!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm on anti-seizure meds for migraine prevention, otherwise I get them weekly. My roughest stretch was a month of about 2-3 a week until I had to get something prescribed.

I'm wary of any medicine that messes with brain chemistry. Scares the shit out of me. Also why I've never really done any drugs. I'm scared I'd never come back.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Whoops.. I only voted for the NF part. Damn, I'm too fast sometimes..

*Mental note "read instructions"*

But, yeah, the answer is "no". My mind works pretty good. And I wouldn't take medicine anyways if I didn't think it's real serious (last time I took ANY medicine was 2001 and I had pneumonia). I am inclined to think that I can think my way out of my psychiatric problems... I would probably go on meds only if I thought I was dangerous to other people.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm wondering if there are any correlations between type and using psychiatric medication, and also what kind of medication a certain type might be more likely to take.

I've been prescribed adderall and ambien for a short time. On both occasions, it was me who suggested to the doctor to prescribe it. I don't take any now.

There are six main groups of psychiatric medications.

* Antidepressants, which are used to treat disparate disorders such as clinical depression, dysthymia, anxiety, eating disorders and borderline personality disorder.[2]
* Stimulants, which are used to treat disorders such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy and to suppress the appetite.
* Antipsychotics, which are used to treat psychoses such as schizophrenia and mania.
* Mood stabilizers, which are used to treat bipolar disorder and schizoaffective disorder.
* Anxiolytics, which are used to treat anxiety disorders.
* Depressants, which are used as hypnotics, sedatives, and anesthetics.

Not me, but my mum does (antidepressents) for insomnia and before for major depression. She's an ISFJ I believe. She doesn't like to be dependent on them but they definitely help her sleep and consequently her mood.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Meeeeeeeeeeee :) I take meds! Probably always will, too. I have bipolar and PTSD.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Now that I thought of this, my aunt had my cousin (her daughter) go on antidepressants and she (aunt) later canceled them because they made her too "flat" (read: not herself). This is maybe the biggest problem I have with these medicine. Is it just fine to alter someone's personality like that? And, I might add that my aunt was really sick and tired of her daughter's stunts... still, it was better to have her back..

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't know how the answer the poll, since I did take anti-depressants / anti-anxiety meds for a long time, but making changes to my life situation (which I had not done for a long time, partly because I was so P and it terrified me) actually alleviated the need for the ADs.

That left me a little sure about how to vote.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Does St. John's Wort count?