• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When your actions and thinking don't mesh

Which do you change?

• I change my actions.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I change my thinking.

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When it becomes apparent that your thinking and your actions don't mesh, which do you change? No cop-out "it depends" option. This is forced choice, baby!

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If they didn't mesh then wouldn't there be a reason for that? And if there was a reason for that then why would something needed to be changed?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I tend to just think "That is screwed. Up!" and change neither. I am reasonably comfortable with a conflicted state of being. I can accept that I'm conflicted or I can go nuts trying to become consistent. It's less work to just accept it.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Actions I think tend to change more, since me thoughts are often the more "perfect" version of how I do something. If the action doesn't change, it's usually a well ingrained habit that is hard to break, and the reason to break it is quite clear in my head.

Theory

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I voted "I change my actions," because most of the time that's true; however, I think that sometimes it does depend on the situation. Sometimes it would be better to change actions, other times it would be better to change thinking.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
well seeing as how I hate conflict and confrontation I would probably change them both... seriously I would. But given that I had conflict my actions and my thinking always tend to match... seriously to the outward world I look like I act as I think... ;)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Was I the only one who voted that I would change my thinking? I mean, I just assume that if my actions indicated one thing about me, and my thoughts another, then obviously my thoughts are flawed and need to be corrected. Doesn't that make sense?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I voted to change my thinking as well, athenian. I believe that actions come from thoughts, and even though the two may conflict, there's probably some underlying cause still in the brain that influences one's actions. So I keep changing my thoughts. Of course, changing thought requires action.... but the action is to change thoughts, by whatever means necessary ;).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Earlier in life, I was predominately "change my actions."

At this point, I am old enough to have experienced many things that seemingly are beyond my ability to change. So, yes, I guess you are right -- I've had to change my thinking instead, since I decided my ideas were not an accurate depiction of reality.

But I can't make any sort of blanket vote on the matter. Normally it seems better to control your actions if you can, rather than having to rip your worldview reality out by the roots and build another.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
When it becomes apparent that your thinking and your actions don't mesh, which do you change? No cop-out "it depends" option. This is forced choice, baby!

Damn you J for trying to force a decision on me :steam: lol

It really would be "It depends", I can't make a decision about what needs to be changed without knowing what it is that isn;t working.

If forced.......well......errrr.......I.......errr.......really can't do it. :shock:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I would say I change my actions. This is because my thinking tends to be negative and so I either have to act negatively or fight that feeling to/aka change my actions.

My thinking/feeling drives my actions... my actions dont drive how I feel/think.

Eventualy, maybe with enough change in my actions... my thinking might eventually change. But it starts by making active choices with my actions- no matter what Im thinking/feeling.

Besides that... my actions and thinking do usually mesh, for better or worse- but... when I am feeling sad or confused or just- out of it... I do try to act better than I feel.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My actions and thoughts always coincide on some level. Whether that is on an unconscious level or not makes no difference.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I would lose my shit and have to be commited.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I don't like something im doing, I change it. Whether its thoughts or actions.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Thinking on this further, all of us do things that do not match our thoughts. For ex; I want to murder my neighbors every goddamned minute if the day but I never have. Everyone has these moments on a near-regular basis...no?

Or is it more like wanting to kill my neighbors is the feeling and not doing so because I’d never get away with it is the thought?
In that case murder would be the action which goes against thought. :rly???:

I wonder if this where schitzophrenia comes from...people who are just fuckin fed up with thier neighbors, I mean.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thinking on this further, all of us do things that do not match our thoughts. For ex; I want to murder my neighbors every goddamned minute if the day but I never have. Everyone has these moments on a near-regular basis...no?

Or is it more like wanting to kill my neighbors is the feeling and not doing so because I’d never get away with it is the thought?
In that case murder would be the action which goes against thought. :rly???:

I wonder if this where schitzophrenia comes from...people who are just fuckin fed up with thier neighbors, I mean.

I'm assuming the term 'thinking' is referring more to your inner concise judgement rather than temptations or fleeting thoughts. So, maybe you work a well-paying job but find that you don't really like the work or value the career path. In that scenario, are you more likely to tell yourself to start liking it because it's objectively a good job, or change your circumstances to find something else that aligns with your values?

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like my thoughts and actions are always at odds. I want to do so many things, but my brain doesn't seem to believe in myself. And the negativity in my brain has been too powerful to stop, so I've always resorted to stopping my actions instead.

Lark

I think this is a very interesting topic of discussion, I may have missed it before.

Is the topic cognitive dissonance?

Is behaviour not meant to correspond to core beliefs? Which may be unconscious or different from those that people apparently hold on the surface?

The point about being conflicted another poster made is a good one, I think part of growing up is to adjust to and accept a certain amount of internal conflict, however, I do think that beyond a certain point it becomes intolerable and people inevitably become sick. If you existence strays too far from your essence that will happen and you can only remain adjusted to a maladjusted context for so long, it does not matter who you are.

J. Starke

MBTI Type
entj
Worst thing is I don't change anything. My thoughts are fine, but my actions can't follow, because sometimes there is no motivation.