• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do you cry?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am posting this as a mature topic and people will probably feel more comfortable in this section.

This is how I see it

In many cases this is a female thing.
Usually something happens or something says something and then the hurt person trys to control itself. It look as the person is trying to swallow something and then he/she cracks and person is all tears in a second.

What I am interested in is what happens in your head that something like this happens?
I am tring to undersand what has to happen that grown up starts to cry.

Also I am aware that I am asking quite hard question and that the answer can be hard to put into words.

As for me I don't cry at all if we overlook some situations from an early childhood. What was probably more instinctive then when grow up people cry. Also I don't feel the need to cry.
This was to make it more clear why I am asking the question.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I cry when I feel very emotionally addressed - when something really gets to the Fi. It can be good or bad, it's not just sadness at all, it just means emotion to me. E.g. I might cry when I have to leave my family at the airport for an extended period of time, but this isn't necessarily because I'm sad or I'll miss them or I don't want to go, it's more about feeling the symbolic and emotional power of the concept of "goodbye" in your core at that moment. It helps to be really tired to be receptive to this symbolic and emotional power. :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have several triggers for crying. Mostly being deeply touched or utterly sad will do it. But severe anger and frustration will do the trick as well. It's a release mechanism for me. It means my emotions are so built up inside, they need a way out. Kinda like yelling or venting :)

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Emotional release. Woohoo.

I think Antisocial one might be hinting more at the Fe side of things.

wolfy

awsm
What happens in my head...

I have an emotional response to what is in front of me.
For me somebody doing something really nice for me will flood my banks.
Hurt just makes me angry.

Funny that when I think about it.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I cry when I feel sad, overwhelmed and betrayed. I more or less only cry when I get dumped. Like right now. Cried like a wee baby yesterday for several hours >.<

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Emotional release. Woohoo.

I think Antisocial one might be hinting more at the Fe side of things.

You are right I am aiming more at Fe here but I am actually inteested in everything what people choose to show.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't, and haven't since I was about 10 years old...

But, I'm...um, a bit unemotional, and extremely unemotional as far as showing emotion goes...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Empathy usually triggers crying responses. When it comes to something emotionally affecting me though--say, when someone I knew died, etc... I tend to cry only when I'm by myself. I feel like I must be rigid when around people I know when it comes to situations like that. Not that I'm ashamed of my emotion.. but more that showing emotion during these times will deter people from using me as support.

As a side note, I think it's extremely annoying when people claim they won't cry at anything. If you simply just don't cry, and it's difficult to produce tears for you even if there's extreme sadness as an emotion involved.. all cool.. But it just irritates me when people brag about it like it somehow validates them as awesome. That sort of thinking only shows me immaturity by equating inferiority with emotion.

T

ThatGirl

I only cry when i am overwhelmingly frusterated.

mostly because its got to comeout somewhere and i am trying to control myself

oh yeah and during sex, just to stay on topic

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I only cry when i am overwhelmingly frusterated.

mostly because its got to comeout somewhere and i am trying to control myself

oh yeah and during sex, just to stay on topic

I think I've only cried once during sex, but it was out of happiness.

I relate to the crying out of frustration thing. Like, you're so pissed off.. but you can't, because of the situation, act the way you'd like to.. the only other way to vent would be crying, it seems for me.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I cry when I absolutely cannot continue holding it in. I cry when an emotional critical mass has been reached.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Man, this thread is depressing. :(

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
When I'm extremely frustrated and feel like I can't do anything to get myself out of the situation or mood I'm in. Especially if I'm frustrated and feeling hopeless and misunderstood and someone kindly steps in and tries to understand me and help me fix things. When I empathize greatly with a character in a movie or on tv, etc. When someone I love dies. When I hear about animal cruelty. When a song lyric hits me in just the right way. When I'm really, really proud of a friend or family member--like watching my sister perform with her dance troupe when we were younger. When I find something really beautiful that resonates a truth somewhere inside--like recognition.

I really don't cry very often (and that's not a brag, kyuuei ;)) When I do, it's when I'm by myself. I'm not very in touch with my emotions when I'm around others. When I was younger, I thought something was wrong with me because I didn't cry when I left a friend at the airport, or when we graduated from high school, or all the other things my friends cried about. Or maybe I just thought something was wrong with them. :happy:

Weird stuff makes me cry, though. I can't sing the song "Walking in Memphis," because the imagery gets me every time. And it's not even really a sad song.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
When I hear about animal cruelty.

I remember reading this one story in the newspaper about some teenage boys who had been caught after dousing a puppy in paint, duct-taping his muzzle, and then throwing him in the oven where he burned to death. When I read it (and I was in public at the time) I wanted to cry out of anger. I didn't, though.

It was one of the few news stories that I've been terribly affected by in a long time.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
As a side note, I think it's extremely annoying when people claim they won't cry at anything. If you simply just don't cry, and it's difficult to produce tears for you even if there's extreme sadness as an emotion involved.. all cool.. But it just irritates me when people brag about it like it somehow validates them as awesome. That sort of thinking only shows me immaturity by equating inferiority with emotion.

Not what I'm trying to come off as...just my emotions do not involve crying as a reaction, regardless of it would be better to or not. (Not crying/having watery eyes at a funeral of a close relative comes off as weird to other people....)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Wow ThatGirl (haha, I almost typed ThatGril) what interesting information.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I will add that grading bad Comp 101 papers, as I'm doing now, is on the verge of making me cry.