• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do you cry?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I cry when i can no longer suppress my anger or frustration.

I cry at films .. sad ones because i want to fix their problems .. and romantic films .. because i want the fairy tale, where i will be loved forever and belong
(Don't watch P.S. i love you without a big box of tissues, i sobbed so many times during that film)

Mole

Permabanned
that's horrible!! i had no idea they did that...

Yes, they say that if you like pâté you should never meet the goose.

But then again they say the same thing about poetry and poets.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yes, they say that if you like pâté you should never meet the goose.

But then again they say the same thing about poetry and poets.

I'm a vegan, and poetry is not my favorite medium - so potentially, I could walk around in blissful ignorance? Please say yes...

Sponge

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I hate crying. It's like a horrible show of weakness, that I let part of my vulnerabilities slip. Generally, I will try to withhold any acts of crying, which I'm told is unhealthy ;)

I'm not so bad now I guess. Sometimes I feel like I need to cry because it feels like a blocked emotion somehow, and releasing it makes it feel less stuffy. But that's only with 'bad' crying. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with emotions too, and that can set off 'good' crying, which isn't bad.. As long as it's private.

I always get a headache when I cry.

Frank

I think the only time I all out cried as an adult was when I was going through a divorce. For some reason crying felt so good. Before this you could say I was emotionally handicapped. I viewed any emotion as a sign of weakness and something that should be eradicated. During the divorce though there was no escaping the sadness and it was quite freeing to give myself over to it. Other things can make me teary eyed but not necessarily really cry. Touching stories about people overcoming huge adversity will sometimes remind my tear ducts of their existence.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Haha I saw the topic from the Main Typology Index, without looking at the author, and guessed that it was a thread made by Antisocial one, and sure enough it was.

Anyway, to answer the question, I don't really cry, that's just not me. Unfortunately however, I do get very angry and irritated sometimes when things don't go my way and in rare occasions I'll lose it. It's not a good feeling.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I wish I knew. I can be sitting next to my friend watching a moving film with her crying her eyes out and not cry, and I can also be washing the dishes and start feeling tears in my eyes (and not from dish detergent), so if only I knew... but I generally attribute it to sensitivity, empathy, and a wandering mind (which explains why I might feeling like crying at any point of the day, as well as why I can avoid crying in situations where others might, because I let my mind wander away from it). If my mind strikes some kind of strong sincere emotion or sentiment, positive or negative, sometimes it seems to be absorbed into my physiological reactions and somehow triggers my tear glands.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I cry when I'm really emotionally stressed. It takes a loooong time for it to build up to that point, though.

I also cry when I'm happy. Like, a lot. When I feel really loved, or have intense warm fuzzies. It can be kind of embarrassing.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I cry when I'm really emotionally stressed. It takes a loooong time for it to build up to that point, though.

I also cry when I'm happy. Like, a lot. When I feel really loved, or have intense warm fuzzies. It can be kind of embarrassing.

Funny .. i must be at extremes again as i get frustrated at hearing that people CANT cry (it is a natural bodily emotional repsonse afterall), does that mean you don't have a soft side or you just choose not to show it, even in private?? then there is the other extreme where people get really emotional .. it blows my mind. It is good though to hear all of this .. not everybody is me with my thinking .. I am learning ;) .. slow and steady wins the race .. Breathe .. lol

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
No, I can't even cry in private. If I'm in a screaming fit of rage (like once every 5-7 years), tears stream down. I'm not denying emotions - it's just not my natural reaction to sadness or whatever emotion is supposed to trigger tears. I can feel very shitty without getting my face all wet. The same way I can recognize that things are funny without actually laughing...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that's typical for NT's. Like I said before in this topic, I only ever cried once.

I think NT's just don't cry much or at all, we have different ways to deal with heavy emotions. Only in the unlikely event our usual methods don't seem sufficient, we may cry.

And after that we may even cry about the fact we cried, because truthfully, what good does crying do for a rationalist? Personally, I don't see the point. Steps need to be taken in order to move on, crying is a waste of time. (In the mind of a rationalist.)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Man, it takes alot to really make me cry. It has to be a combination of self-sacrifice on my part, perceived betrayal, and genuine surprise. I think the surprise is what takes it from hurting to utterly overwhelming... otherwise I build up my walls and shoulder the blow.

Something finally got me last year that caused me openly weep, and before that I'd have to go all the way to junior year of high school. It's pretty rare.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
simple fact: I don't. I can't even remember the last time I did, I think I must've been like 6 or something. Or more accurately, I can't. I've wanted to a number of times, but just not been able to.

Unique

A few times a year, usually over the stuff people generally cry about just far less often than a lot of people

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Sometimes I'd like my eyes to water just to check if my eye's moisturizing system's still online.
But nah, I don't cry. Or very very very rarely.
I don't think it's ridiculous to cry, I don't mock it (or make it more important than it actually is), I don't think it's a sign of weakness. I do my best to help my friends when they turn into waterfalls.

gotta go

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Funny .. i must be at extremes again as i get frustrated at hearing that people CANT cry (it is a natural bodily emotional repsonse afterall), does that mean you don't have a soft side or you just choose not to show it, even in private??

Not a question of conscious choice - my subconscious makes the choice for me, and I can't override it.

Qre:us

Not a question of conscious choice - my subconscious makes the choice for me, and I can't override it.

+1, annnnd.... in certain instances, I can snap my fingers to make myself :cry:. Like being 16, getting into a car wreck, which totalled the car, and "explaining" it to my dad after....I started the tearworks well before I got him on the phone. :smile:

D

Dali

+1

And I only ever do it alone.

A few movies have made me cry (you'd never know if you were seated next to me though) as have war memorials. With the latter, I have a way of imagining the fear and the loneliness the soldier may have been feeling. And imagining them dying in the thick of battle away from their loved ones for a cause they may or may not believe in and... oh man.