• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think about typology in your day-to-day interactions with people?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm still learning but i'd like to be able to...communicating effectively to people is really important to me...so i'd like to understand as much as possible and be able to speak their language. :D

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Yeah, instead of thinking "That person is a fucking idiot" after talking to someone, isn't it better to think, "Oh, they did that because they're an NF. I'll talk to them again"?

But, it's so easy to make fun of the xSFJs for being walking charm school teachers.

soleil

MBTI Type
ENFP
i do it constantly to the point that it is now sub/un-conscious. i type by temperaments

Same here. :nerd:.

I even asked some of my co-workers to take a personality test. Not surprising...they are ALL sensation seekers. I already knew it before they took it.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
It has ceased, fortunately. I've had one whole birthday party of someone without having the tendency to type people. Now occasionally I use it to understand things I otherwise wouldn't, now I can explain them 'in some way' because of their type. I can't stand, it would be too much in the way otherwise. At home I sometimes still think a little of someone's type.

And sometimes it's so plain obvious, now it's ESTP that I recognize, before that it was ENTJ. It's nice, but I have to control it (not let it get out of hand, not let it bother me) somehow.

Btw, totally off-topic, but I have discovered life is endlessly more superficial than one can think (than I used to think)!

G

garbage

I know I wouldn't want to be defined by my type! Someone could type me as an ENTP and think that I'd be lazy and unreliable, or ENTJ and think that I'd just be a prick to them and not bother talking to me anymore :doh:

That said, I tend to subconsciously use it as a way to be able to communicate and work more effectively with other people. More generally, I've grown to better understand the differences between the preference dichotomies and how others (in general) might perceive and interact with the world at large.

Yeah, instead of thinking "That person is a fucking idiot" after talking to someone, isn't it better to think, "Oh, they did that because they're an NF. I'll talk to them again"?

Yeah, mostly this for me.. I tend to be more understanding of others because of a potential difference in type, rather than shutting them out because of it.

LucrativeSid

Just as some others have mentioned in their own words, I notice traits and behavior in other people and I can understand the information just fine without bothering to apply an MBTI label to them. I see the person, not the type code. It's not like we thought everybody was the exact same before we heard of the MBTI. The advantages of being able to use MBTI to understand a person's behavior and thought process quicker than usual are easily cancelled out by inaccuracy, stereotypes, and false conclusions.

Sometimes it's just fun, and sometimes I'm sure it can be helpful, but those are the reasons why I don't ever type people in real life.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't consciously use it in my interactions with people, but it is always in the back of my mind, and I end up trying to type people and guess where they fit.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It has ceased, fortunately.....

Btw, totally off-topic, but I have discovered life is endlessly more superficial than one can think (than I used to think)!

Congratulations!

am_i_evil666

I don't use typology to try to understand a person better. But sometimes, when I interact with someone I try to guess their type....but only by curiosity.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
But can you imagine if everyone was all "can't talk, meditating" every minute of the day?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I use it in my interaction with people, with varying degrees of success... I mainly use it to stay clear of ISFx people and ESTJ's. No but seriosly, it's a great tool to generalize people, and that's both something good and something bad. It makes me know who I will be able to work with.

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
Yes. More than I probably should. But I can't help it!

I mainly use it to stay clear of ISFx people and ESTJ's..

I can't work properly with ESTJs either. But I can't stay clear of them. One lives in my house. =/

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I usually don't think about it when I'm actually in the social situation, but after, if I'm reflecting, I sometimes think about my interactions in terms of MBTI.

It almost gives me more of a sense of certainty about the people around me, mostly because it helps me organize my thoughts about them.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
To the OP, I always try to type a person I'm talking to. Kind of a game, yet also an attempt to better understand them.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Hm, actually I never think about MBTI outside this forum. Unless I feel really out of place again, then I think stuff like "Yeah, of course. I am a freaking INTJ after all". Something along that way. ^^°°

I am not good enough yet to type people with MBTI. Tho, I can type them differently, which works too. But I don't do that all the time, just SOMEtimes.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
In response to the Op I do use MBTI sometimes in my RL interactions however, I need Jack Flaks powers of type identification before I can really let it take over my life...

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
In response to the Op I do use MBTI sometimes in my RL interactions however, I need Jack Flaks powers of type identification before I can really let it take over my life...

Ditto.