• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

whats the big deal about being me?

T

ThatGirl

I don't understand the constant search for individuality and being precieved as genuine, both as the standard we hold for ourselves as well as the standard we judge others by.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think the explanation that Harley owners use to justify their lifestyle applies here, That Girl.

For those who need to ask, no explanation is possible. :smile:

'scuse. Just busy today demonsrating that INFPs are capable of frisky staightforwardness.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I think there's a certain cultural attraction in crafting belief that one is capable of whatever pursuit he/she sets out to accomplish.

Protecting this assertion is an important part of living a happy life. It's also a key component towards the achievement of an existence earmarked by failure and self-delusion.

As is often the case, balance is the ideal.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I don't understand the constant search for individuality and being precieved as genuine, both as the standard we hold for ourselves as well as the standard we judge others by.

A curious thought: the only people who thinks about individuality are those who differs from the norm in one aspect or another. So is it a real value or something created by these (myself include) individuals in attempts to justify their way of life?

No, I don't answer questions... I just make things complicated. :devil:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
That's an interesting thought, Nightning. I wonder if that is so.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For those who need to ask, no explanation is possible. :smile:
"If you have to ask, you'll never know." I heard that on T.V. years ago.

MBTI Type
ENTP

I think the need to be an individual and perceived as genuine is an NF thing. I can't say I understand it either. To me trying to be genuine and unique is like trying to perform involuntary bodily functions. It doesn't make sense.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
read the NF temperament profile in please understand me part II. that should answer your question

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
A curious thought: the only people who thinks about individuality are those who differs from the norm in one aspect or another. So is it a real value or something created by these (myself include) individuals in attempts to justify their way of life?

I think the need to be an individual and perceived as genuine is an NF thing. I can't say I understand it either. To me trying to be genuine and unique is like trying to perform involuntary bodily functions. It doesn't make sense.

These are interesting thoughts... hmm... yeah, I think I would feel like I have "less meaning" if I wasn't interested about what I am. It definitely doesn't feel like it is easy to just be what I am...

We can't even say for sure that this search for genuineness produces any more better people (even though there are some) because there are lots of wackos out there who are on this quest.

Frank

Different strokes for different folks. If you don't get it you probably never will. If it is your thing, good luck with that.:cheese:

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP

I don't have to search for it. It found me. Some people look for the meaning. It makes laugh. All it means is I am different.

I must be some kind of maverick:D

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp

I wonder sometimes if the constant search for individuality (or rather, ways of expressing yourself differently from the majority of people around you) isn't just due to people wanting to be noticed, to be admired, and to be loved. Everyone's an individual, and that should be obvious whether you look "individualistic" or not, but some people just need to express what they see as being their unique traits in obvious ways.

As for being perceived as genuine -- it's desirable because it's really tiresome to meet someone who seem to be one particular way on the surface and then when you get to know them better, you find out that's all for show. It complicates relationships, and can sometimes ruin them. I'd rather know what I'm dealing with straight up front than have to wait weeks/months/years for any particular person's habitual personality traits to surface.