• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Action vs. Intention

Do you focus on action or intention more?

• Action

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Intention

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Possible correlation...
introverts - intentions
extraverts - actions

I'm wondering if it's related to which "world" you prefer.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Morality is probably best left to analyzing intentions and not actions or things become nonsensical. Our courts don't put a paranoid schizphrenic to death because it's unclear whether his actions constitute "murder" or.... what? for all we know, he was killing bugs bunny yet again because the hairy bastard just won't leave him alone. It's impossible to judge a mind if you can't even get the smallest grasp on how that mind perceives the world.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Action, most definitely. Intention is not measurable or observable.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Possible correlation...
introverts - intentions
extraverts - actions

I'm wondering if it's related to which "world" you prefer.
I was wondering that, too.

G

garbage

I'm going with intention. While actions can be taken at face value and are therefore much easier to process, they can very often be taken incorrectly, too. Intentions should drive actions, but the same intention can drive different individuals to different actions. Moreover, the same action can have different meanings to each the recipients or observers of that action.

Actions alone are just too shallow of a judgement.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
All literal manifested actions originate from thought, or intent.

So you have to weigh them both and especially be clear on your intent, motivations, reasoning, etc.

If the original intent is clear and non-shady, at least you're off to a good start.

If the original intent is muddled and questionable, eesh.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Intention matters to me more than action for the most part. I find it hard to blame people for doing their best. I do find it easy to blame people who commit actions for intentions I believe to be dishonorable.

Of course- good intended good actions are the best- but intention is just very important to me overall

Excitant

Inmost Sage
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I focus more on Action because the Intention is so easy for me. Lol

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When it comes to judging someone's character, intention carries far more weight with me than action.