• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

are you more or less logical than you think?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I promise after this thread I'm done for the day posting new threads

Ok so most people think they're more logical then they actually are. I have people saying I'm more logical than I believe, so how is that possible? I don't think I'm at all very logical, but my family and friends say so. Same with my intelliegence.
I've also heard the theory that women understate their abilities as men tend to overstate theirs how true do you think this?

do you think overstating and understating have anything to with type more than gender?

how so?

How logical do you think you are?

Do people think you're less or more then you believe?

How smart are you (no IQ scores I'm not interested in your IQ just say very, not so much, or whatever else you want)?

do people think you're smarter or dumber then you are?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think I'm less logical than I think I am. Wait. Isn't that a contradiction? :p.

Most people aren't as logical as they think they are. When you look at formal logic, you understand what it really is, and then discover that you have a lot more in your thinking processes than just plain logic. Such as emotion and intuition, etc.

I'm not sure how logical other people think I am. I guess I'll have to ask sometime. (Unless someone else wants to offer their opinion in this thread.)

No, I do not think understatement & overstatement have anything to do with type.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think I'm not capable of logic.

People corroborate my view.

I'm mentally inadequate, other people feel the same.

I do not overstate my lack of intelligence or logical skills.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I've also heard the theory that women understate their abilities as men tend to overstate theirs how true do you think this?
im sure there is some sociological reason for this but i personally dont know.

do you think overstating and understating have anything to with type more than gender?
like i stated above, i think this has more to do with a sociological reason then a physiological reason
its a novelty lol
the people i interact with at work think im extremely logical. my good friends know otherwise.
How smart are you (no IQ scores I'm not interested in your IQ just say very, not so much, or whatever else you want)?
idk that is relative to someone elses intelligence so really it depends on that other person. in terms of society... meh.
this goes back to the logical question. people at work, for example, see me as being both street and book smart. my good friends know otherwise

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

Generally true, but there is a large overlap between the two (women can easily be at the male tail end of overstatement!). Denial knows no bounds.

Age has more to do with this though. Young males are especially good at displaying their feathers - their pretend ones, since they don't have much mating appeal - more or less leading directly to overstating their... prowess.

how so?

I would imagine that there would be type relationships. Ts are inherently more competitive, so it may come out as a lot of bluster. Internally, though, I'm not sure E-F-s wouldn't be just as similar, but they may not express it. Hard to say!

Js often think they can do anything, or that things will work out according to their plans. Ps tend to think anything is possible, especially NPs (when it comes to more theoretical stuff, anyway). Me, I tend to think that there is nothing I can't do once I start in on it, heh. I don't think this directly relates to overstating ability though, just a lack of... consideration of it.

I need to seperate logical and rational. I'm more rational than logical, because I am not always as serial as logic demands. Relatively speaking, I'm more rational than the general population, but the logical steps are often weaker (I tend to model from empirical data.)

People think I'm way more logical than I am. Discipline often gets related to logical. Being bound by logic seems way different than being able to work logically.

As proof of my rationality over my logic, I need a metric in which to define my subjective impression :)

Smarter. People don't see the effort that goes on behind the scenes.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx

how so?

I think perception has a lot to do with gender. Many men perceive all women as illogical creatures (which is a stereotype) and people tend to see what they expect to see instead of what's right in front of them (they project their own bias). Or they are looking at my boobs.

I'm an INTJ woman so I use logic. I doubt most people would describe me as being as logical as a man though and certainly not as logical as an INTJ man. People probably think I'm of average intelligence, until they get to know me. I learned to dumb down my language to fit in as a teen so most don't realize that I'm smart. Is that "understating my abilities"? I suppose so, but in most situations it doesn't make any difference if I'm perceived as being smart and I'm certainly not going to shout it from the rooftops.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

I can solve problems logically, I actually like it; however, I am not necessarily very logical in my everyday choices (esp. small choices).

This often depends on the setting. Most of my classmates think I'm more logical than I am, most of my friends think I'm less.

Sufficiently not to feel a strong lack of the quality.

Dumber, definitely. I actually enjoy sounding dumber, know-it-alls aren't generally liked.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm enjoying these responses, I would love for everyone on the board to answer, but I know that's not gonna happen.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I promise after this thread I'm done for the day posting new threads
No! Start new threads whenever you have ideas. If you don't they'll just go poof and might never appear again.

Ok so most people think they're more logical then they actually are. I have people saying I'm more logical than I believe, so how is that possible? I don't think I'm at all very logical, but my family and friends say so. Same with my intelliegence.
Actually, I think I'm less logical than people think I actually am. I'm in the same case as you. :) Hmmm it might have to do with the internal thought process. Mine is very non-linear (you're too I presume?). So things never comes out right the first time I try it. Perhaps the believe that A + B = C => D => G+H => A + G => D! Therefore A + B + G + H =>.... D + Z!

Is it logic when you can't explain it yourself? Does the fact that others people can derive the ending point from the starting point after the fact make it logical? I'm not sure what's the answer to that.

Hmmm related to mate attraction perhaps? Fitness of men is dependent on wealth and prestige, which are highly skill dependent. It'll make sense to boost your abilities? The reverse is less true for woman... in fact I think we've had a thread a while back where female members complaint about how intelligence in women can be seen as a threat to the man's ego? Therefore this might lead to women downplaying their skills? :unsure:

Well both would contribute... different gender typically places difference emphasis on values of objects. So you can say different types put significance on different things. If you value something more than others... there'll be the tendency to overstate. Since "overstate" is a comparison relative to somebody else's perspective anyways.

IQ has no bearing to being logical or not... other than the fact that portions of a general IQ test typically tests you on numeracy and logics. If that's your definition of being logical... as being able to follow rules of logic.

Other than that, no. My litmus test for being logical is thoughts that people with adequate knowledge and understanding can follow. Actually, with that said, I kind of answered my own questions. What's "logical" is an external standard subjected to change based on the thinking style of the general group you're referencing to. It has nothing to do with linearity or what not. Just people's understanding.

So if you train people up to a new set of standards... what's logical today can be illogical tomorrow. :D

LucrativeSid

With the way that I look at it, a person can't BE logical, they can only use logic. So I guess you can question how much they use logic and how accurate and effective they are with it in order to determine how logical they are, but I don't do that.

To be more practical with my answer, I think I'm pretty logical. I think my assessment is accurate, but it's really of no concern to me.

I think I'm pretty damn smart. I know I'm not a super genius but I think I do just great with what I've got.

I think most people think I'm a genius. (At least the ones who know me in real life.)

I think if someone believes they are not logical, they are either lacking in self-esteem or they think that being logical means being cold and they don't like that. (But that has no bearing on how logical they actually are.)

It might have something to do with gender, but not enough for me to care about or speculate on. Male and female brains are often different.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think I'm extremely logical, almost everything I do is based on my logic. However....whether my logic comes to the same conclusion as someone else's logic, I have no idea.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think I am fairly accurate in assessing and accepting my cognitive capacities and limitations.

Overall, I am pretty logical.

Depending on the person and the context, I have been viewed as incredibly logical to something more along the lines of an erratic, irrational, emotional mess.

I'm a smart cookie.

For awhile, I used to suffer from underestimating my talents and abilities, not anymore, thank god.

Oh, and gender plays a HUGE role in how one perceives and projects themselves.

MBTI Type
INxJ
People probably think I'm of average intelligence, until they get to know me. I learned to dumb down my language to fit in as a teen so most don't realize that I'm smart. Is that "understating my abilities"? I suppose so, but in most situations it doesn't make any difference if I'm perceived as being smart and I'm certainly not going to shout it from the rooftops.

Same here.

It also makes it easier to observe people in a less guarded state, when they think your simpler.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think it depends on the person, how they develop in certain situations, and the society they've grown up in--whether they choose to accept (perhaps even grudgingly) the proposed/perceived traditional role or not.

Do you think overstating and understating have anything to with type more than gender? How so?
I think there is a predisposition for each type and gender but there are so many deciding factors in what makes us who we are that it would be rather difficult to put one theory above the other. I think the ultimate deciding factor is how the person perceives their environment and how capable they feel in that said environment.

It depends. I've learned that I am only as logical as I am able to put my thoughts into cohesive sentences and have the capability to relate my thoughts correctly with the external stimuli (reality). I try to stay connected with reality but often the mind can become a strange place which incorrectly manipulates received data into a distortion that only I am able see, much like that of Don Quixote and his misadventures.

I have no idea.

Frequently I have the tendency to believe that everyone around me are either a bunch of idiots or misguided. (That sounded rather arrogant!) Yet the tables turn on me and I feel like I am the real idiot. In other words I oscillate between high self-esteem and low self-esteem.

Do people think you're smarter or dumber then you are?
I am often told by peers that I am very intelligent but they do not tell me how they arrived to that conclusion. So I take it with a pinch of salt.

sade

I don't consider myself very logical, for the reason that others find my logic hard to follow. And it isn't linear for another thing.

I have a habit to just call myself an ass, because I don't take myself all that seriously. I don't like to answer questions or make statements about my intelligence or the lack of it. I'd say I'm average. People usually think I'm smart, but I'm not sure why. It's not the initial reaction, but I get told that.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't think I'm very logical at all. Most everything about me comes from drive, which, well, isn't very logical.

For some reason, people keep thinking I'm logical and smart and whatever and it can be very frustrating.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
The OP is less logical than she thinks based purely on the thread title.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
How I am supposed to answer this if I can only answer in context of how logical I think I am?

I can only tell you how logical I think I am, not how accurate my assessment is.

I mean, if I came to realize I was more or less logical than I thought I was, I would start to think that I was now as logical as my new perception of my own level of logical behavior. Thus, I would never be aware of being more or less logical than I thought.