• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

are you more or less logical than you think?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As logical as one can be in a world based on absurdities.

Lark

I love these threads Prpz.

I think everyone, myself included, are more rationalizing than reasoning. Mainly we're all affect driven and its a result of our origins as a species. For the greater part of human history we were not as cerebral as we are today.

I like to try and be logical and rational though. Its an improvement on things.

I don't think emotions or logic are binary opposites. Emotions usually function according to a logical sequence; if you're angry and you act out because of anger, it is because something made you angry in the first place.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think emotions or logic are binary opposites. Emotions usually function according to a logical sequence; if you're angry and you act out because of anger, it is because something made you angry in the first place.
Emotions and logic are not opposites. They are not even directly comparable, like apples and oranges. At least those are both fruits. Emotions and logic are more like an apple and a knife: the first an ingredient, the second a tool. A knife can be used not just on apples and other fruits, or other foods, to cook and prepare them; but also on materials for crafting or art; humans for medicine, grooming, or violence; and a host of other materials and purposes. Logic is a process, and emotions are one of the inputs to that process, along with goals, values, and various objective data.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
do you think overstating and understating have anything to with type more than gender?
I think I have a fairly realistic view of how logical I am. There's a chance I'm underestimating (as I am self critical and anything I value I tend to think I am lacking to some degree), but that's not really as much of a gender thing as it is an experience thing. Some of my experiences may be perpetrated by gender socialization, but it is hard to tell in my case and I don't think it's actually had a massive impact on my ability to estimate how logical I am.

How logical do you think you are?
I try to be logical and have a tendency to use reason to work my way through most things in life, perhaps to an excessive extent. Since I lack awareness of my emotions though/am not one with great mental health (in the sense that I can't always catch my delusions and logical fallacies because of impulse), I tend to be a lot more illogical than I'd like to. Everything I do is excessively reasoned out, which while relying heavily on logic is heavily illogical. I don't think I'm drastically more logical than average, but definitely have a preference for using it over other modes of thought.

Do people think you're less or more then you believe?
Depends on the person. My family tends to believe I am hyper-logical, some of my friends consider me more emotive and impulsive (and these things aren't... Necessarily opposite). I think how this works is by comparison. People who are strongly logical, perhaps to a dramatic extent, might look at me and see me as less logical than I am. People on the reverse thing will do the reverse because of perspective biased by "location" on that scale (think looking down a road at a car and how you might misinterpret it's height). In the same sense, people can be biased from their perspective on where they sit on the scale. People near my part of the scale may view me as whatever they consider themselves to be, whether it is realistic or not.

How smart are you (no IQ scores I'm not interested in your IQ just say very, not so much, or whatever else you want)?
I seem to pick up things a bit quicker than average, so probably smart-ish. I'm really stupid about some other things though, so I suppose if we are considering all domains of intelligence and the fact that I'm not the most rounded individual, I'm probably neither particularly smart nor dull.

do people think you're smarter or dumber then you are?
People tend to immediately peg me as a smart person, so I'd assume far smarter.

LillyRoar

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Less logical in new social settings/gatherings.
More logical in close, longterm relationships.
I feel more like myself in the latter setting.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Less. Way less.

It’s kind of a catch 22 question.

I lack the self awareness to answer honestly or accurately