• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interest = Ability?

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
How reliable is a person's interest in a subject or topic in indicating what their aptitude in it might be?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Um, I would say that there's little to no relation. Interest might make someone more likely to work at understanding it, but doesn't have any effect on natural ability.

I know this kid who's always wanted to be a researcher, scored highly on every exam... but is EPIC FAIL at lab work because she just doesn't have the critical thinking/troubleshooting ability. And my sister's good at just about everything, so she can pick to make a career out of her interests, and leave those that she's not interested in (but was still exceptional at) behind.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
If someone is interested in something, they are more likely to learn about it and increase their aptitude concerning it.

Of course there will be a positive correlation, but as for it being an indicator of how much ability someone has, I wouldn't rely on it.

Some people are avid fans of things that they are absolutely horrible at.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Spontaneous interest means nothing. It's interest which lasts for years which usually provides for some skill in whatever it is.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So, is it also conversely possible to be awesome at something you hate? That sucks.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Let's say that over a medium-to-long time scale, the only people that remain very interested in a subject are also those that are good at it.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, is it also conversely possible to be awesome at something you hate? That sucks.

Yes, or something you do not care about

Even worse, it is possible to be mediocre forever at something you love

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
How reliable is a person's interest in a subject or topic in indicating what their aptitude in it might be?

There is definitely a positive correlation between the two regardless as long as the interest lasts. Of course a person who is interested for longer will have greater improvement in aggregate.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ

I'm reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (who I love and want to marry) and you might find it of interest in answering your question.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
when it comes to me, if im interested i can do anything, realistically of course. so i think intrest does equal ability.