• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Does Everyone Else Know This?"

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sometimes I find myself thinking about something amazing, or perhaps something simple. After a while of parsing X thought over and over, my psychic censor kicks in and asks, "What if the thought you're thinking isn't all that amazing or original, and everyone else knows about it to the point of being automatically understood? And you only just caught on to it. And if you tell anyone else about it, you'll probably look silly because you'll make something they already know overly complicated."

Anyone else ever thought like this?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Everyone thinks that at some point in their life. It's nothing new, Eldanen.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Sometimes I find myself thinking about something amazing, or perhaps something simple. After a while of parsing X thought over and over, my psychic censor kicks in and asks, "What if the thought you're thinking isn't all that amazing or original, and everyone else knows about it to the point of being automatically understood? And you only just caught on to it. And if you tell anyone else about it, you'll probably look silly because you'll make something they already know overly complicated."

Wow. That's a really cool thought.
I've never thought of that before. :newwink:
Seriously, though.
When I think of a "new idea" I don't worry about whether other people have thought of it.
It's enough that it's new to me, and perhaps new to some or most of the other people I know.
When I share new ideas, I hardly ever have anyone say they had already thought of that before.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Seriously, though.
When I think of a "new idea" I don't worry about whether other people have thought of it.
It's enough that it's new to me, and perhaps new to some or most of the other people I know.
When I share new ideas, I hardly ever have anyone say they had already thought of that before.

Yeah, it's kind of weird to think about because it's ultimately an unknown. "Does everyone else know this and just assume it's true, and they just never talk about it because of that?" Pretty existential and postmodern xD.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Seriously, though.

Same. I just get excited that I figured out how to make something work. The thought of somebody else coming up with the ideas first or what they think of it never cross my mind.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP

Funny you should pose this question. Yes!