• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Disliking the concept of "fun"

LucrativeSid

I'm much more enthused by the idea of something which engages the brain, allows for innovation and even... dun dun duhhh... teamwork. Sitting around a table getting drunk is none of those things...

That's basically how I feel about it. If someone says something will be fun, I ask them how. If it doesn't sound challenging, creative, or educational, there's a good chance that I'll decline.

Their idea of having fun is my idea of wasting time. They say, "Oh, come on! Life is short, have some fun!" And I say, "Yes, life IS short, and that's why I'd rather not waste my time doing things that are pointless to me."

But, I'm open minded enough to give it a shot sometimes. And I'm open minded enough to enjoy something even if I thought it was going to suck. A lot of my best memories wouldn't exist if I didn't give other people's ideas a chance. So, there's always the desire to take a chance on something and there's always the ability to initiate some change in a social situation that isn't fun at all.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
That's basically how I feel about it. If someone says something will be fun, I ask them how. If it doesn't sound challenging, creative, or educational, there's a good chance that I'll decline.

Their idea of having fun is my idea of wasting time. They say, "Oh, come on! Life is short, have some fun!" And I say, "Yes, life IS short, and that's why I'd rather not waste my time doing things that are pointless to me."

To me the options are usually more like:

1) Sit home
2) Go hang out

Both can be nice or not nice, but I feel like there is bigger chance of something fun happening if I hang out.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
ill tell you what isnt fun... topics based on vague and highly interpretational vocabulary

what is fun? even for a single person, that is going to have a wide meaning. let's leave "fun" as an adjective instead of a replacement word for a potentially unlimited number of activities. 'soccer is fun' as compared to 'let's go have "fun"'.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fun is taking away others' fun and making others miserable.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
The concept of a person disliking the concept of fun is some seriously funny shit.

People can be so strange.

:huh:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
"Having fun" is just enjoying yourself, if you enjoy reading books all day then you're having fun.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, fun is good. Fun is your pal.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The concept of a person disliking the concept of fun is some seriously funny shit.

that's what i was thinking! haha

Usehername

On a mission
I always wonder why people don't show up at parties and events when they have nothing else to do and I made it CLEAR that it would be FUN. That's often my primary argument.

"There will be lots of people there. It will be FUN!"

and people literally cringe and I always just assume that they are being shy. And I always just assumed that almost everybody liked to have "fun". (Sitting around a table drinking, shoe shopping.) and that if they didn't want to have fun then they were just really tired or just shy.

Well, learn something new every day.

LOL.

I really like you. :yes:

Edit: got a rep for this post that made me want to clarify: I genuinely do think her mind is interesting in a very foreign way to me and I genuinely do enjoy her posting history and think she's a great contribution to the board!

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dudes and dudettes, it is possible to make ANYTHING fun if you are willing to want to have it that way.

Basically, the way I get by daily is to attempt to be maximizing my enjoyment all of the time. So what if you're going to have to do something lame? Do it all your own way! MAKE YOUR OWN FUN! Don't just sit and wait for fun to be fed to your asses, you lazy n00bs.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, this is probably based more on disliking the common notion of fun. Fun, by definition, is whatever you enjoy doing, so you can't avoid enjoying fun things.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You're snob.
Yes boss.

Okay so I've been arguing over something with my ENFP friend which I think relates to this. He seems to be of the opinion that I should have get up and go. I should make efforts to go out and enjoy myself (the wider definition most commonly hidden behind "come on... it'll be fun"). He seems worried that I can spend days thinking about something and not actually engage in it or with it. The thing is that IS my fun.

Earlier someone mentioned introversion being linked to how much enthusiasm you have... poppycock. I don't go all weak at the knees about shoe shopping or dancing (I loathe dancing) but ask me to redesign the current concept of computer cases (geeky but true) and I'm all yours. My minds a wash with ideas, I feel the whole adrenaline and such. The thing is I AM an introvert. That not only means that I'm more reserved than an extrovert but it also means that when I have a real party ... IT'S IN MY HEAD!

I wonder if there's a good middle ground?

Oooo lawnmower man.... extroverts with suits can party in my...errm no actually that's nightmarish... no definitely no.. oh GOD no...

:D

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not too sure if this is type related or what but it's been buzzing around in my head since I watched an interview with Stephen Fry when he mentioned recoiling whenever people mentioned "fun".

To me it's more apprehension at what people mean by the word "fun". Often people use it to mean something inane and mindless devoid of all intellectual content and just designed to give them a quick buzz. Now I don't mean to come across all snobbish and aloof but I'm much more enthused by the idea of something which engages the brain, allows for innovation and even... dun dun duhhh... teamwork. Sitting around a table getting drunk is none of those things...

Anyhow I was wondering if there's any more who recoil from the term fun or something similar.

Anybody?
Fun (= a good time) is a mental health issue.

1. Rugby
2. Cricket
3. Polo.

So they say.

Rugby?
Einfach tierisch !!
If you ask me.

Cricket?
So-so.

Polo is the thing.

This is an understatement.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Fun (= a good time) is a mental health issue.
That's the thing though isn't it. Fun is traditionally associated with extroverted activities. It seems like introverted fun is called boring and dull. I've lost count of how many times I've been accused of being boring because I recoiled from the idea of going out for a drink or going clubbing. In fact, having been dragged to clubs on occasion, I find nothing more dull than a group of people staggering about and shouting enthusiastically. They most often have nothing of interest to say and are completely frightened by any kind of thinking. Why can't it be combined? I wouldn't mind so much if I were surrounded by people drinking and trying to get hold of the tenants of existentialism or some such but most often they're just speaking to enjoy hearing the sound of their voices and to get affirmation of their friends. It's no wonder they find me boring... I affirm very little..

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's the thing though isn't it. Fun is traditionally associated with extroverted activities. It seems like introverted fun is called boring and dull. I've lost count of how many times I've been accused of being boring because I recoiled from the idea of going out for a drink or going clubbing. In fact, having been dragged to clubs on occasion, I find nothing more dull than a group of people staggering about and shouting enthusiastically. They most often have nothing of interest to say and are completely frightened by any kind of thinking. Why can't it be combined? I wouldn't mind so much if I were surrounded by people drinking and trying to get hold of the tenants of existentialism or some such but most often they're just speaking to enjoy hearing the sound of their voices and to get affirmation of their friends. It's no wonder they find me boring... I affirm very little..
It's easier to get some new friends than to try to single-handedly change the language/culture.