• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Disliking the concept of "fun"

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
think about it on the flipside... imagine ALWAYS being in the mood for fun... imagine trying to have fun in EVERYTHING you do. Sometimes it can be inconvenient considering that you have to get things done too. Like run errands, go to work, go to funerals, appointments, doing paperwork, cleaning, sitting in lectures. And you feel that you must try to turn them all into a big exciting party.

(Not that I experience this or anything...... :whistling:)

Y'know, I'm thinking that Shortnsweet and I should just totally hijack this thread and talk about nothing but fun stuff.

Cuz as the Cat says... these things [meaning, whatever you enjoy doing] are fun and fun is good..

cat_cake500.jpg

You've go to admit, he does look like he's having a blast, doesn't he?

Sarah

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
See that's why there's INTPs. They're good at wheres waldo type games, they just think "waldo" means problems, or fun.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yea sarah. Its way funner to talk about fun things than to talk aobut how unfun fun can be....

(bursts into song an ddance) *Raindrops on roses and blue satin sashes, snowflakes that fall on my nose and eyelashes, brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favorite things!*

But I do agree that "having a blast" comes when you least expect it. Why, its been 2 days since I had a blast.. (2 ESFP friends together, stuck at work= a blast)..

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You make it sound deliberate. This kinda stuff just happens to me. I'm walking along minding my own business and then bang start thinking about the definition of minding my own business and how it interconnects with social responsibility.. is not my fault!

blame the Ne, blame the Ne.....

As long as it's just you and you leave the others behind I'm fine. :smile:

Okay try this... this was FUN for me. Basically instead of revelling in those kinds of video racing games where you knock the car off every wall and piece of scenery I got it down to a fine art. I had the car tuned just so, the suspension just so... even the gear ratios were tuned to my preferences. I then spent hours refining my driving so that I drifted through the corners not touching a damn thing. That was FUN.

Sounds really tedious and boring right? Too much like concentrating to be fun?

Hey - I'm used that my sis (eNTP or iNTP, not quite sure which she is) has fun studying new programming languages... ;)

Fun is defined differently with different (types of) people. I don't necessarily need to have fun the SFP way. I actually enjoy more the intense moments with group of people or when discussing with somebody. It's the feeling of connecting and I especially enjoy the strong intuitive moments + Ne flow discussions with people who can follow my thoughts! (And I'm not saying here that my thoughts are always intellectual, hehe.)

So, my kind of fun isn't that I go out to drink and to party. My kind of fun does involve people and discussion & intuitive and emotional connections with others. If I don't get such a connection with a person, I most definitely won't enjoy their company.

Well it does work in reverse. I tend to tire out extroverts fast. They seem to glaze over quite quickly whilst I'm still trying to engage them on some dissection of the various merits of existentialism :D

I know. I have experienced this with a INTP. His thinking totally tired me out but then my Ne jumped in and I started to think other stuff while giving him the regular Yes - Really? - No -answers. ;) But I do understand what you mean here. :)

Conclusion? You did hear me say enfP right? So that would be intP and enfP and you're looking for a conclusion? You had a check up from the neck up today? Just asking....

:devil:

(ie No we didn't but we did advance the concept in a few places :)

Hehe, I just wanted to end my post with something polite. :D I really didn't think you two would come to any kind of conclusion. ;).

I whish I had discussions with INTP's more often IRL. INTP's have generally very interesting thoughts even if they don't see me always as very intelligent one because of my extroverted way of being. But if they give me a chance, it's going to be very interesting conversations. :smile:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Not at all. "Fun" is as relative a term as "beauty". Personally, I can spend hours fussing around with an art project, especially collages, because they allow me to endlessly shift around with layers of paper and totally forget about the time and about other people. That must seem very boring to extraverts.
You never get the thing where you're really up for doing the whole art thing, all excited and talking at nine dozen words a second and then someone else realises what you're on about and looks at you like you just tried to convince them that isolation tanks are the best forms of interactive entertainment?
Can anybody name the last time that they had a blast, or at least a ton of fun? I'm sure you've done plenty of enjoyable things since then, like reading, but those things don't qualify as a blast. What I mean by blast is when you act enthusiastic. Something where other people would be able to tell you're having a blast by looking at you.
INTP question.

How would I know if other's can tell by my expression whether I'm having fun or not? I rarely grin like an idiot and sometimes when my brow is furrowed and I'm deep in concentration..I'm having the time of my life.
Y'know, I'm thinking that Shortnsweet and I should just totally hijack this thread and talk about nothing but fun stuff.
Hijack? What you think I got this post count by not posting like it's going out of fashion?

Anyhow... any hijack of a positive nature would have to be countered by an equal hijack of negativity... now do you want to compare how much positivity you can summon compared to just how much complaining and criticism I can produce?

:devil:
See that's why there's INTPs. They're good at wheres waldo type games, they just think "waldo" means problems, or fun.
Hey that's not deliberate. Is not my fault that problems look like tennis balls on a black background to me.
yea sarah. Its way funner to talk about fun things than to talk aobut how unfun fun can be....
Oh no it isn't.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
blame the Ne, blame the Ne.....
Heck I'll blame Ne one if it gets me off the hook :D

I think though in my case it's more the over-active Ti..
Hey - I'm used that my sis (eNTP or iNTP, not quite sure which she is) has fun studying new programming languages... ;)
INTP. Learning for learnings sake.

Actually sounds interesting to me... sad as that may sound.

I spend a while as a kid reading the dictionary... that didn't get me teased much oh no... darned fun police!
Fun is defined differently with different (types of) people. I don't necessarily need to have fun the SFP way. I actually enjoy more the intense moments with group of people or when discussing with somebody. It's the feeling of connecting and I especially enjoy the strong intuitive moments + Ne flow discussions with people who can follow my thoughts! (And I'm not saying here that my thoughts are always intellectual, hehe.)
Ooo me too. Always wondered how my ENFP friend could equally enjoy having fun discussing the intricacies of the meaning of life and also enjoy those stupid social event like thingies. Always thought he was just odd that way... now I know.. he's odd but he's not special :devil:
So, my kind of fun isn't that I go out to drink and to party. My kind of fun does involve people and discussion & intuitive and emotional connections with others. If I don't get such a connection with a person, I most definitely won't enjoy their company.
I guess that's where I lose the INTP defence. I enjoy that too... just in smaller groups.. like groups of two :newwink:
I know. I have experienced this with a INTP. His thinking totally tired me out but then my Ne jumped in and I started to think other stuff while giving him the regular Yes - Really? - No -answers. ;) But I do understand what you mean here. :)
Ooo you swine... deflecting answers....not listening... best not let that INTP know of this tactic.
Hehe, I just wanted to end my post with something polite. :D I really didn't think you two would come to any kind of conclusion. ;).

I whish I had discussions with INTP's more often IRL. INTP's have generally very interesting thoughts even if they don't see me always as very intelligent one because of my extroverted way of being. But if they give me a chance, it's going to be very interesting conversations. :smile:
Being considered intelligent means that you'll get asked dry questions more often.

Being considered interesting is much better. Least that way they'll ask you any old thing just to hear your thoughts.

:)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There are at least two reasons I can think of why people might have developed an aversion to the phrase:

1. Their parents used it when convincing them to do something somewhat boring or difficult.

2. Various people used it when justifying trying to pressure them into doing something dangerous or stupid.

The combination of the two explains a lot... it essentially becomes a phrase indicating pressure to do something that isn't in your best interest for the sake of others.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
There are at least two reasons I can think of why people might have developed an aversion to the phrase:

1. Their parents used it when convincing them to do something somewhat boring or difficult.

2. Various people used it when justifying trying to pressure them into doing something dangerous or stupid.

The combination of the two explains a lot... it essentially becomes a phrase indicating pressure to do something that isn't in your best interest for the sake of others.
An interesting concept. Perhaps it could be a combination of the two. The word "fun" comes to stand for these things but that transition is more common amoungst certain types.

For example I would expect that amoungst ESFPs the incidence of people finding an aversion to the word fun would be lower than that found amoungst a group of INTPs.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh, jeffsters here. we're one step closer to total fun infiltration.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
External input..

Disliking the idea of fun may actually come from other's uncertainty. They proclaim that an activity will be fun in the hope that other's will join in and make it fun. Often should the activity fail to be fun they will then avert the blame for the failure elsewhere.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't like mandatory fun. I don't like having fun in a place I can't escape for some quiet time. Camping is for homeless people and not fun. I don't find things like tractor pulls, monster truck races or anything related to NASCAR fun (but I do love observing the people at those events). I like sports and going to sporting events but I need to get away from the crowds at some point. People who want fun all the time would exhaust me much sooner than I would become irritated with them. And I have been called a snob for this in the past.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Heck I'll blame Ne one if it gets me off the hook :D

I think though in my case it's more the over-active Ti..

Or TiNe combination ;)

INTP. Learning for learnings sake.

I spend a while as a kid reading the dictionary... that didn't get me teased much oh no... darned fun police!

Yes, I've seen that in my sis. I couldn't spend a vacation by reading a book of a new programming language (or a dictionary :D). But I could spend my vacation rading scientific studies about people (like about the brain functioning, psychology etc.), so I don't know if I'm any "better" in that sense. I'm just interested in differnent kind of learning than my sis.

Ooo me too. Always wondered how my ENFP friend could equally enjoy having fun discussing the intricacies of the meaning of life and also enjoy those stupid social event like thingies. Always thought he was just odd that way... now I know.. he's odd but he's not special :devil:

Your friend seems very fun and interesting person :smile:. He is special, all ENFP's are, of course. :worthy:

I guess that's where I lose the INTP defence. I enjoy that too... just in smaller groups.. like groups of two :newwink:

That's probably why I enjoy discussions with INTP's because they really involve themselves in the discussion IF you get their "attention" and IF they are interested what you are saying and IF they see you worth of it. :newwink:

Ooo you swine... deflecting answers....not listening... best not let that INTP know of this tactic.

blame the Ne, blame the Ne....
(again)

Being considered intelligent means that you'll get asked dry questions more often.

Hehe, I think the INTP I was referring to, thought I was intelligent (enough) to listen to his TiNe thoughts. I thought that was a compliment even if my Ti isn't good enough to follow through (or something). :)

Being considered interesting is much better. Least that way they'll ask you any old thing just to hear your thoughts.

You are right. I hate when INTP's tend to be right. :doh:

:jew: