• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Smiling and Extroverted Intuition

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ok now you may say he finally has lost his mind, but I stumbled over something I wanted to share:

From the BBC Fake Smile Test:

Fake smiles can be performed at will, because the brain signals that create them come from the conscious part of the brain and prompt the zygomaticus major muscles in the cheeks to contract. These are the muscles that pull the corners of the mouth outwards.

Genuine smiles, on the other hand, are generated by the unconscious brain, so are automatic. When people feel pleasure, signals pass through the part of the brain that processes emotion. As well as making the mouth muscles move, the muscles that raise the cheeks – the orbicularis oculi and the pars orbitalis – also contract, making the eyes crease up, and the eyebrows dip slightly.

Ok, if a genuine smile comes from the unconcious, could it be then a helpful indicator to identify an Extroverted Intuitor ?!

Well that's a relation here, but it lacks of course ANY provoable facts. The thing is we talked about N and S being generally unconcious processes and then there is the undenieable truth that for example ENFP's and ENTP's do smile often or are at least in a good mood generally.

So if you have the unconcious working with the temperament of a black spanish stallion, there could be a relation, couldnt it ?!

My ISTJ friend for example, has a fundamental knack for laughing out loud, one of the funniest guys I know. But he has his filters, he mostly only laughs about humor that doesnt change. What means his humor does not change. The funny topics are always the same, just their perception changes and so funny things are created. But his humor is not innovative.

Well just an idea here, could be total BS, but if it works it could give another indicator for Ne in people.

With Ni it's somewhat different. I think the theory would apply to them too, but I am not ready to go this far yet. With Ni I experienced they tend to laugh about things, I didnt grasp at first, but then after they have explained it. If that would be all of the difference in this theory between Ne and Ni, it works for them too.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
All I can think of is something from the 'You know youre an ENFP when..' thread: 'You know you are an ENFP when you can talk seriously about *Some sciency word* but cant help but laugh at the word 'duty' (Since it sounds like 'doodie')

:Shrug:

I think ESxPs seem to have more glare in their personalities than Ne primaries. The 'light' is more forward in the eyes for them I think since Ne is more inside the mind and in actions like Se is.

I could be completely off base too :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That is a good point. But if the knack for smiling is fueled by the subconcious, it would be a method to show your internal N-ness.

While the Ne would draw forceful relations to make the joke understood, the Ni will laugh for no apparent reasons at first sometimes. And both reactions could be indicators for N-ness.

I am just playing around with connections that are obvious on the paper. What would be intresting in the long run, would be the question, if humor is a thing generally derived from one persons Intuition ?!

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I read somewhere (A Robert J sawyer book I think) that what's funny is based off of connections in the brain. If a person makes a connection 'just right' it'll spark a laugh response. Its usually attributed to weird connections in ideas.

Since Ns have a more 'connecty' mindset it makes humor easier since they can 'get' jokes better.

I was thinking once recently: 'How do dogs remember all those smells? They sure dont have a Rolodex...' and I kinda chuckled at the idea. I in envisioned a dog with a scratch n sniff yellow-pages.

An S would laugh at the vision of a dog and the yellow pages while an N would get the idea. Or at least thats my guess. I have spotty knowledge on functions anyways :cheese:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That's good, I get your point and I furthermore get the impression your type is not TILT :D.

According to my theory, if the S draws this connection he uses his N-ness, because one does not have to forget that S and N are within every human being.

But I think you are right, to say humor is something that comes from Intuition is a big leap.

What I still think is what I said in the OP. Namely, when a genuine smiley comes from the subconcious, it is possible that subconcious prone persons have a knack for smilieng.

If you advance this theory and take into account that N is within everyone, you get the answer that humor is within everyone. What then lacks is to finetune the art of humor: and I did not want to say that N's got a greater humor. I was just seeking for its roots. Not for its quality.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Then what is my type? :cheese:

That could be true since people with N as first or second functions seem to be much more humorous in everyday life. Since humor is a form of energizing thinking (A good laugh or even a chuckle is rejuvenating) and Ss prefer to experience over thinking, they wouldn't get the joke as quickly; They would probably be experiencing the words, right?

An ESxP friend only seems to laugh at stupid stuff people do, while the ENTP friend I have seems to laugh at a lot of weird things... and comes up with weird things. Him and George Carlin are on the same wavelength. Bad taste but well thought out. One of my friend's jokes: "When a rabbit gives birth, does it sounds like a machine gun? They give birth to huge litters at a time..."

And INTP friend of mine seems to laugh at anything querky that happens. One time a couple years ago we were talking about slurping the ramen from a bowl with a crazy straw and then he pulled out a crazy straw that he got just hours before. It was hilarious.

Gauche

I think it actually isnt a good way to determine N or S or something form their PHYSICAL smile (if its true-subconscious or fake)

BUT, I think surely there are correlations between Nness and Sness and the way you laugh (at what you laugh); I noticed that more N you are, more you get and look for and make, rather abstract, metaphoric, conceptual humor, instead stronger Ss laugh from trivial things, which are meant to be funny, but more often than not they arent funny at all (for me). For me, these stupid jokes are just absolutely stupid, and i dont think theres anything funny at them (actually i get the point and i know what SHOULD be funny, but its so poor and retarded, i only wonder which retard can laugh at this (and usually majority of personnel)). - id call this shallow humor
Often I laugh from things that other people even dont notice, or notice but take absolutely seriously and see nothing funny at them. E.g. someone says something or make a movement which is rather normal, but inside my mind it somehow relate (connect) to something other - funny, and i laugh(or just smile, and then that person see I smile and: "Whaaat?") I didnt see anything like this in sensors.
In general i have great sense of humor, but i just deviate from that standard humor, and laugh from things that are somewhat more complex, and other people either dont get it, or it doesnt seem funny to them (id say im on higher level of humor perception, but its rather too cocky:))

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I laugh at everythig that I havent heard before that doesn't rube me the wrong way, stuff that goes against my values or seriously puts other people down.

Ss laugh at people like Carlos Mencia (his show at least) or Dane Cook :)sick: ) from what I can tell, while Ns seem to laugh at people like Carlin. People who put different perspecitves on things without acting totally retarded.

Carlos appeals to Ss because of the visual stupidity ( That makes me wanna throw up, personally) and Dane is just really REALLY over the top. A bad spinoff of Robin Williams. Who is still nuts, but seems to keep it mature. Another similarity is that Dane looks like a 'player' and overconfident while Williams is a clown that has a heart. I like clowns more than pricks. :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ooohh... the worst is mentally making a bad joke to yourself and laughing about it. Then everyone stares at you like you've gone crazy :(

I do this frequently.

I also smile and laugh very frequently, it makes me happy. I'd think that was related to extroversion almost though :thinking: I don't know.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I constantly walk around with a smile. More or less. I don't do it consciously, it's just my natural expression. When i'm tired the smile drops, though, and then people think i'm cranky :D (correct, usually)

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I probably have done the bad joke thing, just cant remember any right now :doh:

I think I'm fairly expressive. I find that I smile when I find something exciting or silly. I -dont- have the :mellow: in the slightest unless I'm around someone I dont like much.

A friend of mine (ISFP maybe?) is very expressive and fidgets a lot when he's excited. Its cute :D He can also ramble on and on about the stuff he likes. Normally I wouldnt like it but the way he expresses things is so out of the norm that it's easy to listen to his stories/randomfacts.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm usually pretty smilie when i'm with other people...unless they are annoying and i can't stand their sense of humor :D

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Being INTP, my secondary function is Ne. I LOVE it when I get an Ne rush, which is usually caused by having a good time during extroversion. When this happens I will just walk about smiling and laughing at just about everything, thinking up silly jokes and feeling the love for everyone around me.
It is the only time I wont feel uncomfortable when someone hugs me. :hug:

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I think it actually isnt a good way to determine N or S or something form their PHYSICAL smile (if its true-subconscious or fake)

BUT, I think surely there are correlations between Nness and Sness and the way you laugh (at what you laugh); I noticed that more N you are, more you get and look for and make, rather abstract, metaphoric, conceptual humor, instead stronger Ss laugh from trivial things, which are meant to be funny, but more often than not they arent funny at all (for me). For me, these stupid jokes are just absolutely stupid, and i dont think theres anything funny at them (actually i get the point and i know what SHOULD be funny, but its so poor and retarded, i only wonder which retard can laugh at this (and usually majority of personnel)). - id call this shallow humor
Often I laugh from things that other people even dont notice, or notice but take absolutely seriously and see nothing funny at them. E.g. someone says something or make a movement which is rather normal, but inside my mind it somehow relate (connect) to something other - funny, and i laugh(or just smile, and then that person see I smile and: "Whaaat?") I didnt see anything like this in sensors.
In general i have great sense of humor, but i just deviate from that standard humor, and laugh from things that are somewhat more complex, and other people either dont get it, or it doesnt seem funny to them (id say im on higher level of humor perception, but its rather too cocky:))

Uh oh, here we go with the S bashing again . . . :cheese:

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm an ENTP, and people tell me that I'm smiling even when I'm not.

fleurdujour

MBTI Type
INFJ
ooohh... the worst is mentally making a bad joke to yourself and laughing about it. Then everyone stares at you like you've gone crazy :(

I do this frequently.

I also smile and laugh very frequently, it makes me happy. I'd think that was related to extroversion almost though :thinking: I don't know.

Not just an E or Ne thing for either (mentally making a joke and laughing to yourself about it and other people thinking you're crazy) and needing to smile and laugh very frequently--I am the same for both.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Without reading any of the responses to the question, here's what first came to my mind:

I believe I am one of the best fake smilers/laughers there are, although I don't like to use this "skill" because I value authenticity quite a lot. My fake smile doesn't work always and if it does, it will be a slow response. This is because it comes from me imagining me liking the joke or whatever is supposed to be funny or "smileworthy". I don't know if this has anything to do with Ne... but anyhow, it comes slower because I have to will myself to imagine it. I don't do that often. The normal fake smile for me would be the kind that tells the other person that I like him/her sharing the joke/idea with me, but that it isn't really that much fun. Now, the difference between a normal fake smile and my kind of imagined smile is that while normal smile is controlled (basically just raising the sides of your mouth) the imagined smile actually is inside your mind. This makes it more difficult to put in the "fake" category.

I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts about this. Off to read the other replies, then...

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Ok, after reading through, I'd say the things I laugh about are

1) The abstract stuff Gauche was talking about.

2) Some really absurd stuff.

3) Something that is funny only if you imagine the situation (this can be same as no2).

Which reminds me (sorry I'm drunk, this might be offensive to some, I don't know, just don't read further if you like to get offended) of something that happened like a week ago, which I thought was like really really funny. We we're watching finnish Idols with my room mates and there was this singer doing his show and they showed a face of a (female) fan that was looking admiring at him. My (female) room mate shouts without ANY thoughts (there was no time to think): "My pussy's getting wet!", kinda like imitating the girl in the tv, and I laughed for minutes at that IDEA. I still think it is funny, even if it really isn't... yeah, umm, sorry about that....