• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post count = knowledge ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This is the reverse of his question, though. He asked if the n00bs act deferentially towards the longstanding, 5000+ post count members...not if the high post count-ers treat the n00bs badly.

Question was aimed to both directions.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
This is the reverse of his question, though. He asked if the n00bs act deferentially towards the longstanding, 5000+ post count members...not if the high post count-ers treat the n00bs badly.

Well let's see.

I think I've noticed certain newer members attaching themselves to older members, but definitely not most. Example: Edgar :heart: Jack Flak. Aimahn seemed to have been doing that for a bit. There are others I've noticed. I don't know if you would call it deferential though.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
How would you know if you don't ask the question? ;)
"...Solve a problem...First by observation, then by careful intervention...In other words...The Zero Effect"

Not the answers no, but there are clues. :D
You know, there are doubtlessly a few perfect women here, but they're either married, or hate me, or both. Conclusion? None.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Question was aimed to both directions.

Oh, okay.

Well let's see.

I think I've noticed certain newer members attaching themselves to older members, but definitely not most. Example: Edgar :heart: Jack Flak. Aimahn seemed to have been doing that for a bit. There are others I've noticed. I don't know if you would call it deferential though.

Well I don't know about those guys, but I agree that it's less of a pattern in that direction than in the other (with older/higher post count members ignoring lower post count ones).

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Submissiveness does not automatically imply deference to intelligence or subject material. It is more likely a behavioral thing associated to perceived position of the person, and the social ramifications of not deferring to long timers.

I don't believe that the heuristic or the behavior is faulty, either. Forums have plenty of "clan" behavior. The more entrenched posters use that kind of influence as a tool, like most social power is wielded, the opposite of newer/less active posters avoiding being at the other end of 'stick'.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
If we all gave just as much weight and time paying attention to noobs as we do to the posters we already like and know, that would probably be an unwise use of time, but maybe not for everyone.

After a noob spends a little time here and forges an identity, that's when people will start to communicate more with said noob. That's how I think it should be.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Well I don't know about those guys, but I agree that it's less of a pattern in that direction than in the other (with older/higher post count members ignoring lower post count ones).
Yeah protean dunno wtf she's talkin' about re: me and folks like Edgar. It doesn't matter to me how long a person's been on the board, and why should it? People possess the same quality whether they started day one or yesterday.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
This is strangely interesting topic. I rationally know it should be boring but it isn't. Antisocial is good.

After a noob spends a little time here and forges an identity, that's when people will start to communicate more with said noob. That's how I think it should be.

Yeah, I find stuff a lot more interesting if I know something about who's saying it. And that comes from their posts around here.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Yeah protean dunno wtf she's talkin' about re: me and folks like Edgar. It doesn't matter to me how long a person's been on the board, and why should it? People possess the same quality whether they started day one or yesterday.

I think some newer posters see some more prolific posters and they begin to identify with them and they make that identification apparent. The qualities are always there, but they're not always immediately apparent. Visibly tagging along with someone usually hastens it appearance or begins associations.

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Wow, I didn't realize post count mattered to anyone.

Guess I better start "levelling up". :devil:

I'll be important someday, you'll see! :2ar15:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Wow, I didn't realize post count mattered to anyone.

Guess I better start "levelling up". :devil:

I'll be important someday, you'll see! :2ar15:

Well, I tend to look at the content of the post first (of course if it is the post of someone I know, I'll notice that first), at least a quick scan, and if it strikes my attention, then maybe I'll look to see who the poster is.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I think some newer posters see some more prolific posters and they begin to identify with them and they make that identification apparent. The qualities are always there, but they're not always immediately apparent. Visibly tagging along with someone usually hastens it appearance or begins associations.

I agree with this.

When I first joined INTPc, I shadowed Limey and HilbertSpace for awhile.

They were interesting contrasts.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I was a post whore before it was cool.

Like, when it was really, really, really uncool.

:D

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Okay, well, how about next time you don't use my name and I won't have to disagree with you.