User Tag List

Default Individuation, Conformity, and Mbti

We know we are a conformist, when we worry whether we are conforming enough.

And we know when we are worrying if we are conforming enough, when we continue to do sciencey psychological tests.

The Western cultural imperative is to individuate, for many of us this is a struggle in which we fail, and to hide our failure and compensate ourselves, we become conformists, and naturally we look around for something easy to conform to. And mbti comes to the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We know we are a conformist, when we worry whether we are conforming enough.

And we know when we are worrying if we are conforming enough, when we continue to do sciencey psychological tests.

The Western cultural imperative is to individuate, for many of us this is a struggle in which we fail, and to hide our failure and compensate ourselves, we become conformists, and naturally we look around for something easy to conform to. And mbti comes to the rescue.
    Do you think your thoughts conform to a pattern Mole?

I definitely think they conform to a number key themes which are repeated.

However, I'm interested, you frequently condemn Jung, are you aware that the "western culture imperative to individuate" was precisely what he believed? Its the corner stone of his Analytical Psychology.
    Likes Vendrah liked this post

Individualism is overrated.
    "Life is 10% what happens to u and 90% how you react to it." nc entj
    Likes Vendrah liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Bacopa View Post
    Individualism is overrated.
    Yes, Bacopa, you are right.

Individuation has been superseded by the electronic tribe.

And as any superseded medium rises in status, individuation has risen in status.

I myself, Bacopa, am a literate individual, cast adrift in an electronic tribe, yet who can doubt my status?