• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Designer Babies

Billionaires

Selecting desirable Characteristics like Height, Eye Color/Colour, or Hyper-intelligence.

Back in 2018, a Chinese scientist called He Jianjui made headlines around the world by announcing the birth of the first ever gene-edited babies. An associate professor and biophysics researcher, He claimed to have used the sophisticated new DNA editing technique known as CRISPR to manipulate a gene called CCR5 in a pair of twin girls, named Nana and Lulu. This CCR5 gene codes for a particular protein that allows HIV to infect human cells. By disabling this specific gene, He claimed to have genetically engineered Nana and Lulu to be resistant to diseases.

What's your Opinion?

Lark

I dont really think there's a problem with this, plus if it might actually make parents act as though their child's welfare is paramount then that's absolutely welcome.

The fact that some dickheads might create legions of uniform beings conforming to some racist standard of beauty is just one of those things.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't know if this falls under yhe category of designer babies but I'd rather not have my future child be a capricorn so I will strategically get pregnant around a time where that won't happen.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Designer Babies!
They make their dreams come true
Designer Babies!
They'll do the same for you

When your world looks kinda weird
and you wish you weren't there,
close your eyes and make believe
that you could be anywhere

Lark

I don't know if this falls under yhe category of designer babies but I'd rather not have my future child be a capricorn so I will strategically get pregnant around a time where that won't happen.

I was born on my dad's exact birthday and that day is International Workers Day, also International Star Wars Day, and we're both Taurians.

This is more win that I would have thought it possible to pack into a single date but I would like to pull off something similar if I could.

Then seven generations later, when there's a seventh son of a seventh son they'll be like Paul Atraides or something.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Designer Babies!
They make their dreams come true
Designer Babies!
They'll do the same for you

When your world looks kinda weird
and you wish you weren't there,
close your eyes and make believe
that you could be anywhere

haha.

The phrase "designer baby" is amusing. But then I find humor in the concept of an underground sport of babyfighting that's kind of like Pokemon. Different babies have different kinds of attacks, like slime, gas, and noise.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't really say I oppose it, but my fear is it would be something reserved for the wealthiest classes of parents, and so it might over time lead to some nightmarish scenario with an actual super race oppressing everyone else. On the other hand, if we could screen for and weed out certain genetic defects which might lead to disease and birth defects, I'd be all for it. But it needs to either be affordable and available to everyone, or to no one at all.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
haha.

The phrase "designer baby" is amusing. But then I find humor in the concept of an underground sport of babyfighting that's kind of like Pokemon. Different babies have different kinds of attacks, like slime, gas, and noise.
I went by a store recently called Buy Buy Baby. Looks like they sell things for babies, but the name suggests the sale of babies themselves. "We have boys, girls, all colors, all sizes as long as it is under 20 lbs. Twin sale this week: buy one, get one free!"

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Apparently none of you have seen the movie Gattaca.

I don't know who I'm actually speaking to. Maybe the scientists. Also the shitty parents.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I went by a store recently called Buy Buy Baby. Looks like they sell things for babies, but the name suggests the sale of babies themselves. "We have boys, girls, all colors, all sizes as long as it is under 20 lbs. Twin sale this week: buy one, get one free!"

I made that joke about Babies R Us all the time!

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Morallyyy...I have a very big issue with it. I mean this is another life form not a plastic doll. Take your obsession with control elsewhere...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can we make babies that produce people that aren't so goddamned stupid?