• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Designer Babies

I gave some thought about this.

On one hand, designer babies could eliminate evils of the world. I'm all about empowering people to take charge of health in pursuit of a better life.

On the other hand, exactly this:

No because we're corruptible garbage.

I still haven't made up my mind about it, but I don't think it'll be a relevant choice for most people within my lifetime anyway.

There's still other issues like engineering a good person. Is such a thing even possible with gene editing? Higher intelligence does not good people make. I'd like a utopia, but I know reality will fall short.

SirCanSir

MBTI Type
hmm
Enneagram
hmm
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even in the scenario this research is successful the designers have too much control. Things could go wrong in too many ways there. Will that be an evolution with the good of humanity in mind or will someone just control the future generations the way they please. Again thats only in the scenario this experiment is actually successful.

But yeah controlling someone's individuality isnt only a moral issue. If we are at the point of determining that, controlling how a person develops later and how "obedient" and malleable they become shouldnt be much of a problem either.

For those of you who only see stupidity as an issue, well im pretty sure those who will have access to this sort of technology and modification wont just use it to make their kids better looking and smarter. It will be a start of something much bigger.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
j9UGe3a.jpg

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I might be ok with eliminating obvious defects that cause clear unambiguous health problems. Beyond that I definitely have concerns, despite my joke about making non-stupid babies earlier.

I mean, remember Khan from The Star Track? That guy had serious wrath issues.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
If my child can’t grow up to pulverize prior generations into sand what’s the point

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think this will end well, mainly because of genetic diversity. Heck, I mean sperm banks tend to reject any males who are below 6ft tall. That is just the beginning of stuff they ask you.

Billionaires

I don't think this will end well, mainly because of genetic diversity. Heck, I mean sperm banks tend to reject any males who are below 6ft tall. That is just the beginning of stuff they ask you.

Sperm banks may reject males below 6" but what if u could choose the height when designing ur baby?