• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is serenity possible?

Lark

One of the best known quotes or aphorisms about Serenity that I know is the prayer related to the same. It would be easy to substitute something else for God if you find that idea alienating or meaningless, like you could appeal to insight or philosophy, maybe, anyway, the prayer goes like this and you may know it:

Serenity Prayer - Wikipedia

My question is can you achieve serenity? Is it a nebulous goal? Is it an impossible goal?

Does the more you know, mean the more you care?

I do not mean knowledge and some sort of obligation, duty or altruism. The knowledge could simply mean that more is required of you to protect yourself, or prosper, than you have been aware of previously.

Mole

Permabanned
One of the best known quotes or aphorisms about Serenity that I know is the prayer related to the same. It would be easy to substitute something else for God if you find that idea alienating or meaningless, like you could appeal to insight or philosophy, maybe, anyway, the prayer goes like this and you may know it:

Serenity Prayer - Wikipedia

My question is can you achieve serenity? Is it a nebulous goal? Is it an impossible goal?

Does the more you know, mean the more you care?

I do not mean knowledge and some sort of obligation, duty or altruism. The knowledge could simply mean that more is required of you to protect yourself, or prosper, than you have been aware of previously.

Our very heart beats with mutually inhibitory signals, in fact our homeostasis is maintained successfully by mutually inhibitory impulses. The conflict between signals keeps us alive, and serenity means death.

In the rough and tumble of life we long for a safe harbour, we long for an end to conflicting signals, gosh we even hate free speech, we want to be looked after by and all powerful and all loving God. In fact we have a death wish called Thanatos, click Death drive - Wikipedia.

Serenity is the child of Thanatos.

The Longing of Thanatos for Serenity

The port
was longing

the port
was longing

not for
this ship

not for
that ship

not for
this ship

not for
that ship

the port
was longing

the port
was longing

not for
this sea

not for
that sea

not for
this sea

not for
that sea

the port
was longing

the port
was longing

not for
this &

not for
that

not for
this &

not for
that

the port
was longing

the port
was longing

not for
this &

not for
that

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
Leave the men where they lay
They'll never see another day
Lost my soul, lost my dream
I feel the black reaching out
I hear its song without a doubt
I still hear and I still see
That you can't take the sky from me.
Lost my love, lost my land
Lost the last place I could stand
There's no place I can be
Since I've found Serenity...

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

More seriously, I think serenity is achievable, but only for a moment. It's fleeting. It's always a goal, always has to be striven for. I think it's largely what's gained by being able to be in the moment. Letting go of all but this moment and what we have in it, within our immediate control.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx

More seriously, I think serenity is achievable, but only for a moment. It's fleeting. It's always a goal, always has to be striven for. I think it's largely what's gained by being able to be in the moment. Letting go of all but this moment and what we have in it, within our immediate control.
Are you coming from the angle of considering serenity to be a feeling? My initial thoughts were, "define serenity?"

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you coming from the angle of considering serenity to be a feeling? My initial thoughts were, "define serenity?"

Hmm. I guess I was approaching it as both a state of mind and a feeling that follows that state of mind, a feeling of calmness and simultaneous letting go and holding on, a perfect balance.

Mole

Permabanned
Serenity is a chimera. Serenity is how we wish the world to be, not how it is.

Now the world is in constant change, from technology, from politics, from day and night, from the seasons, and from the success of economics, and even from old age, more of us are old than in the whole history of humanity, and from our changing Environment.

So rather than listening to the siren song of serenity, let us dance to the etribal beat.

The common sense of Australians has served us well in dancing to the etribal beat, as we now have no deaths from the virus.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
I think that it is. I sometimes procure it from reading literary glosses.