• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In charge, teamplaying, what?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
What is your preference? I have a questionaire for you.

*How much do you know yourself?
*Where are you in the process of how you fit into places?
*How is that displayed?
*Do you like to be in charge?
*How can someone see it? Explain, please.
*Do you like teamplay?
*How is that displayed? Explain, please?
*Given all the chances to explain yourself, which do you like the more: being in charge, or teamplay?
*if you had hard time selecting a preference for collaboration or the amount of direction, please give your freeform explanation. How is the prerefence of being in charge, or having teamplay, best explained for you?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I know myself ...fairly well? :thinking: That's not something I could measure concretely, since, if I don't know myself to some extent, I likely would not be aware of that or be able to determine how much of a blind spot I had.

I'm getting good at fitting into places. Big boxes, closets, cabinets, under the bed. . . . I probably fit into the car trunk if I got all the stuff out of it...

*How is that displayed?

Awkwardly.

It's not something I naturally gravitate toward, but I don't shy away from it, should the need arise.

They can uh...see my name in bright blue text, here? :shrug:

*Do you like teamplay?

Only with carefully selected people.

...by carefully selecting people?

*Given all the chances to explain yourself, which do you like the more: being in charge, or teamplay?

I prefer collaboration, but will take charge if no one else is, & shit needs to get done, but I still make an effort to include the rest of the group/make sure everyone is heard. Thinking back on theater days, where acting students also did backstage work. I had sound booth work, but often helped with set design, costumes, etc. Anything that still needed doing before opening night, I often stepped in & started finishing, &/or delegated it to specific people who were sitting on their hands. I practically lived in there.

*if you had hard time selecting a preference for collaboration or the amount of direction, please give your freeform explanation. How is the prerefence of being in charge, or having teamplay, best explained for you?

N/A

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
>Understanding self is high on my part. There's a range of knowns and a selection of unknowns.
>I can't fit everywhere. I can fit in some settings.
*How is that displayed?
>The people of a product development & research group will probably accept me in their group. I can see it from not being fired off those positions.
I'm starting to want those situations more and more. So, yes.
If there's an memorandum of understanding of some project, I might make it real by making an acquisition of resources to that effect. Then I'm telling people that's why we have budget for these tasks.
*Do you like teamplay?
I like it very much thank you. If I had it "my way", everything would be teamplay, lol
When I'm in the position to know of find something, I find all the sources I can use. I make the best of all the connections there are, give and receive.
Being in charge.
*if you had hard time selecting a preference for collaboration or the amount of direction, please give your freeform explanation. How is the prerefence of being in charge, or having teamplay, best explained for you?[/QUOTE]
It's hard. Maybe later.

It's a metastrategy. Being in charge means that there's a fuzzy evaluation of directiveness that goes above some threshold. Being mostly teamplaying has the same arguments. Having a metastrategy means having both strategies and seeing which fits best. But in all honesty, I don't know.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How much do you know yourself?
I know myself as best I can, but aspects of myself are somewhat "untouchable." I will always be missing a little bit.

Where are you in the process of how you fit into places?
I tend to stand outside of things rather than fit completely. I rarely fit into places, at least to a level of comfort, I have the tendency to either "disappear" or stand out without much control

How is that displayed?
I think I addressed this above, my presence seems to bend and restructure but not meld. Unless that isn't what you asked?

Do you like to be in charge?
In most situations, except in instances where I am 100% out of my element. I tend to be more disagreeable if I'm not in charge to some degree, though I'm not as bad as I used to be and am generally democratic about it.

How can someone see it? Explain, please.
It's automatic. I tend to structure the tasks I deal with and push for delegation. I tend to be a director who organizes others and others tend to follow along, as most people are more adaptable than myself and don't take issue with a non-pushy "leader" who is willing to hear their ideas.

Do you like teamplay?
To a degree. I like hearing others ideas, especially prior to initiating the more in depth aspects of a project and near the end in bringing cohesion to the results. I am not particularly talented at working with others, however, on singular tasks.

How is that displayed? Explain, please?
Usually in the beginning phases of a project, plans and brainstorming is done together and perspectives are shared willingly among others and myself. Once the idea is set, I push for tasks to be assigned that are tailored towards strengths and interests and tasks are done primarily in solitude by each member of the group (with ample communication on material and progress). in the end, progress is discussed as necessary for cohesive presentations and construction of elements.

Given all the chances to explain yourself, which do you like the more: being in charge, or teamplay?
Probably being in charge

if you had hard time selecting a preference for collaboration or the amount of direction, please give your freeform explanation. How is the preference of being in charge, or having teamplay, best explained for you?
Successful projects often need a bit of both. I'm also not really aggressive, so being a traditional "director" is not really how I'd describe myself. Democratic leadership styles require a good deal of teamwork, as it diffuses "power."

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx

I don't know myself. I do.

*How is that displayed?

I don't think I fit. I tell some people what the place's interest is, even if the place thinks it's unappropriate.

If there is a woman, I'll talk to the most physically attractive of them. Because I think she has some sort of spiritual authority or something. No joke. Maybe you'll think I'm delusional even if I don't think so.

Yes. If I feel I don't have a reasonable control/impact in the present/future, it means I'm useless. I hate being useless.

I prefer he doesn't see it, because if he does see it, he'll think I'm aggressive and may insult me. You say I'm aggressive I agree, you say I'm not aggressive I agree.

I think insulting me and punching me is acceptable. You disagree you tell it in a clear and detailed manner. But telling me to shut my mouth is not acceptable.

People think I'm kind or unkind, and both are right and wrong : I'm kind to people who deserve it, and unkind to people who deserve it. I don't care you're family/friend/acquintance/spouse/superior/subordinate/colleague/stranger or anything. I'm clinically obsessed with justice. No exaggeration, I do mean clinically, because being a scapegoat or seeing someone being a scapegoat makes me tense and angry.

I don't think I'm tough but recently I had a very grave incident with 4 family members of my wife (at their '20 Christmas party). They're really tough people that could kill me or send me to hospital. I tried to fake being kind to avoid a chance to lose my wife, but eventually I was too stressed at some point so I shouted to my wife's sister "quit playing victim", and then my wife's sister's husband expelled me from his house despite the cold outside and the doubtful opportunity to find a cab to get into a hotel because of being in an isolated village. I didn't care if they would kill me, I was just afraid of one thing : losing my wife. For now I didn't lose her, because she's somehow detached from her family, and really hates the guy who expelled me because he's an irresponsible hardcore far-righter (and here I'm being very polite) who hates mentally ill people like my wife and I.

Sorry for the digression. I take risks all the time, but I hate risk.

And, that far-righter acted like a White power skinhead (yes, it will look like an outburst, but I can't be polite anymore, I hate being polite), then I decided it's what he is. As goths my wife and I strongly hate him, and I hate him more than my wife hates him.

*Do you like teamplay?

No, except if the team is 2 people. My wife and I are a team.

I'm extremely talkative, and sometimes affectionate to my mate. When I play the expert/teacher to professional colleagues, I do it in an affectionate manner. I work in an official statistics administration, and was called a "firefighter".

Everyone who knows me knows I'm clinically affectionate to my wife. Enough said.

Being in charge. If it does happen I'm in a team, I don't play if I hate the leader.

Again, my lack of impact means I'm useless. I hate being useless, Period.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

*How is that displayed?
*Do you like teamplay?
1.) I'm self-aware. I put significant effort into figuring out my faults, and how I can work on myself to become a better person. I'm not convinced that I know myself extremely well, as there's still a lot of room to learn and I'm at the age of discovering my identity, but I do my best.

2.) This is where I struggle. I don't know how I come off across in larger groups, and I don't believe that I can fit into places very well.

3.) I'm a loner and I avoid gatherings of more than two people.

4.) I actually don't really like being in charge of other people. I have no confidence in my abilities to do so, and I'm a very "live and let live" kind of person in behavior (though I am judgmental internally).

5.) I don't know, I rarely ever take leadership positions. My partner actually said once that he wishes I would take charge more because I actually have good ideas.

6.) No, I don't like working with other people. I feel that they screw me over constantly, and I don't know how to integrate myself with them. I'm also afraid to screw them over.

7.) I avoid people. I do my work alone as much as I can.

8.) Out of the two, I'd prefer to be in charge because that's more isolated, and also, honestly because it seems more badass, which is a stupid reason.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ

*How is that displayed?
*Do you like teamplay?
I probably should answer my own questionaire.

I guess I know something. I probably know more of the others than I know myself, but I know a lot in my opinion, and I guess some part of that knowledge is knowledge about myself. Damn, maybe more than a bit. My answer is, could know more, do know some, 3/5.
Like there are places for me to be and how I fit to them? Well I guess I've had places where I fit for decades. There's like this logistical operation where I fit in places for a while and then it ends. Then new places come up. I have several places where I fit now. I'm not sure which of them are permanent.
*How is that displayed?
Well I practice a religion. I practice neutrality over politics, although the people on the right are obviously mostly right. I practice engineering, philosophy and a few other things. I think I'm displaying by my actions where I belong and how I fit there.
It's ok. Mostly I'd just like everyone to be smart and self-governed but that doesn't practically happen all the time so I'm willing (with grudges) to fill in the leadership spots.
After I've done some leadership I'd just rather relax alone and have everyone act self-sufficient. But noo, people aren't like that. They need so much supervision and leadership.
See what? Being in charge? Leadership? Knowing myself? Well, let's take something as an example. How am I being in charge? Suppose I was again the team leader in project. So we go about our business. Me being in charge would show up in practical terms where I handle the team's business and when someone asks who's in charge they say it's me.
*Do you like teamplay?
It's the best
I ask questions, I gather the information, I do some work, and I'm always able to do some work for the team. I might present our findings and it's not like I'm presenting something I've done alone, and it's also not something that everyone else has worked on but I hadn't worked on that. So. The kind of teamwork I do is exhibited by the findings that I've done some of the work, not all the work, and also not none of the work.
It's better to be in charge. We can expend conscious effort to do things like we want when we're in charge. That's invaluable.
Well, those who have teamplay, are mostly in charge of themselves and mostly in charge of what the others do. If you're really in charge of things, you tip that balance in your favor where you decide more. That kind of balance where one person takes over the others in terms of dominance is suitable for situations where the group needs to do work for another party. If the group needs not to do work, teamplay seems like a suitable alternative. If they need to do work, someone should be in charge.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1)*How much do you know yourself?
Pretty well, and I measure that based on how much other people seem to understand certain concepts.

2)*Where are you in the process of how you fit into places?
I am still in the process of reconciling the fact I'll never really fit in anywhere.

3)*How is that displayed?
By my constant affect on groups of people resulting in polarizing drama.

4)*Do you like to be in charge?
Only when it directly affects my safety and stability.

5)*How can someone see it? Explain, please.
They'll see it manifest in many situations that may come off as controlling.

6)*Do you like teamplay?

Depends, usually no.

7)*How is that displayed? Explain, please?
I'd play a multiplayer game solo most of the time.

8)*Given all the chances to explain yourself, which do you like the more: being in charge, or teamplay?
They are about equal.

9)*if you had hard time selecting a preference for collaboration or the amount of direction, please give your freeform explanation.
I simply trust myself more than a group or being in charge.

10)How is the prerefence of being in charge, or having teamplay, best explained for you?
A lot of these questions seem like reiterations.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well enough.

Where are you in the process of how you fit into places?
I usually inadvertently stand out. I can fit into places better than other people seem to be able to, but not in a way that is low-key. As I get older, I've been more able to blend into the background more, though I think overall I still catch more attention than some others do.

How is that displayed?
Fitting in, or standing out?
Standing out - it depends. But people usually know me, and how and what for I am known differs from place to place, though there are commonalities.
Fitting in - I still inadvertently stand out. I guess the display speaks for itself.

Do you like to be in charge? How can someone see it? Explain, please.
Yes. At work, it's obvious, except for if I'm not supposed to be in charge. In more casual settings (eg; friend groups) it manifests easily in providing suggestions or organising things, usually when others are being rather scattered and indecisive.

Do you like teamplay? How is that displayed? Explain, please?
Generally, no. How it is displayed - my distaste for it, you mean? It usually isn't. I know how to control myself. It doesn't mean I like it, however. It may be less that I dislike team play and more that compatible teams are rare.

Given all the chances to explain yourself, which do you like the more: being in charge, or teamplay?
Being in charge.

If you had hard time selecting a preference for collaboration or the amount of direction, please give your freeform explanation. How is the preference of being in charge, or having teamplay, best explained for you?
In charge - I know the ins and outs of things. I know if it is something I enjoy, and can do it in a way I enjoy. It will be done to my preferences, which is to say, effectively and with little wishy washy pussyfooting around with unnecessary bureaucratic politics.
Given the choice of in charge VS good team playing however, I'd still prefer to be in charge, because I like the pace of it and I like being able to oversee more things at once from that position. Things happen more directly, and more quickly. There is a minimum of silly intermediaries or being blocked by wishy washy, or uncooperative people.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As one of the older members here, I have had more time and opportunity to get to know myself. I continue to discover new things about myself, and like everyone, I am sure I will always have blind spots.

Where are you in the process of how you fit into places? How is that displayed?
I generally have no trouble fitting into the kinds of places or groups where I want to fit in. This is seen in the fact that I am on good terms with other people there, and I have my role or place in the group. Others know what to expect from me, and I from them. I may still stand out in some way, but those differences will be accepted and even appreciated when I overall fit in.

It is rare I spend time in spaces where I feel I really don't fit in. Usually I am there just for a short while, or on infrequent occasion. I could probably make the effort to fit in there, too, but it isn't worth it. I stay in the background and try not to be disruptive to the established dynamic, do what I need to do, and move on.

Do you like to be in charge? How can someone see it? Explain, please.
I like someone competent to be in charge, preferably someone who shares my vision and priorities. If there is someone else who can take on that role, I won't object. It saves me the trouble of having to coordinate or supervise the work of others, a task that can be burdensome, especially with the wrong mix of people. If those in charge don't meet this description, I have no problem taking over myself, and have done so on numerous occasions. What this looks like is my sitting back, observing, questioning, offering suggestions and criticism, and if necessary, just starting to do what I think needs to be done. I prefer to lead by example rather than outright telling people what to do. I prefer working with people who are self-motivated and capable, and just need someone to help them figure out how to get involved/contribute, and to resolve problems that come up.

Do you like teamplay? How is that displayed? Explain, please?
I like working with capable, motivated people, whether as superiors, subordinates or peers. Working as part of a team is OK if everyone on the team pulls their weight and are headed toward a clear common goal. If not, it is miserable and frustrating. Even on a good team, I prefer to work mostly on my own, coordinating with the team only as needed. Micromanagement, unnecessary interaction, and coordination just to CYA drive me up a wall.

If you had hard time selecting a preference for collaboration or the amount of direction, please give your freeform explanation. How is the preference of being in charge, or having teamplay, best explained for you?
I prefer working on my own, coordinating with others only as needed, and reporting directly to whomever my "customer" is. I suppose in a way this lets me be in charge, as in: control all aspects of the work or activity, without actually having to supervise others. I dislike being responsible for the performance of others, especially unmotivated and incompetent others.

If I am on a team, I like being involved at the "big picture" level of the project, whether I am in charge or not. I have sometimes taken on a sort of technical advisor role which allows me this perspective, again without actual supervisory responsibility. I do feel more comfortable being in charge if I am part of a team that otherwise would be rudderless, uncoordinated, or inefficient.