• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rap music and white people

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Not sure if this bothers you because you feel you should also be able to use a slur or that someone is telling you that you can't use a slur. I suspect it is the latter as it seems you have a hard time with the idea that there are things you, as a white person, are not included or invited to partake in or participate in.
No, the problem I have with it is exactly what I said. I say what I mean. I think it's stupid to greet each other with racist things like this, but especially while expecting others not to use the term. It's not a word I would want to use, as your statement is implying...I just don't think others should use it toward each other.

EDIT:
It honestly seems trashy anyways, to me.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No, the problem I have with it is exactly what I said. I say what I mean. I think it's stupid to greet each other with racist things like this, but especially while expecting others not to use the term. It's not a word I would want to use, as your statement is implying.

It has little to do with the word itself. While it's wonderful that you would never use a slur or ethic or racial degradation - why are you so eager to tell people that? Why are you are having a visceral reaction to someone out there calling someone <insert slur>? My original point was that you said - Hitler - the Jew that hated Jews - as some kind of self-loathing example you could also apply to race. That's not true, it is an entirely debunked conspiracy thought up by Hitler's attorney that was tried at Nuremberg and executed in 1946 for war crimes and crimes against humanity. Using this kind of bullshit to validate issues with black people is weak but it's an argument a lot of people make and yet another example of the lack of critical thinking and the incredible power of propaganda.

It is in no way the same as someone calling a person they are greeting - sup faggot?

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
It has little to do with the word itself. While it's wonderful that you would never use a slur or ethic or racial degradation - why are you so eager to tell people that? Why are you are having a visceral reaction to someone out there calling someone <insert slur>? My original point was that you said - Hitler - the Jew that hated Jews - as some kind of self-loathing example you could also apply to race. That's not true, it is an entirely debunked conspiracy thought up by Hitler's attorney that was tried at Nuremberg and executed in 1946 for war crimes and crimes against humanity. Using this kind of bullshit to validate issues with black people is weak but it's an argument a lot of people make and yet another example of the lack of critical thinking and the incredible power of propaganda.

It is in no way the same as someone calling a person they are greeting - sup faggot?
I'm not having a visceral reaction. Please see spoiler section of signature. Until this is understood this conversation will not be pleasant for me. IDK, I guess I'm just candid and dry, I don't sugarcoat, so that makes me seem all emotional when I'm not. If anything, it's a part of me being detached and rational.

SirCanSir

MBTI Type
hmm
Enneagram
hmm
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not having a visceral reaction. Please see spoiler section of signature. Until this is understood this conversation will not be pleasant for me. IDK, I guess I'm just candid and dry, I don't sugarcoat, so that makes me seem all emotional when I'm not. If anything, it's a part of me being detached and rational.

Was what you meant that the existence of racist slurs within minorities creates greater distance from the rest and in a sense contributes to racism because it can come off as double standards? Since they are fighting against being discriminated but they also refer to each other in ways that make them seem like they are ok with being seen as different and want be treated differently.

Its likely a cultural thing that was developed for the sake of unity so they can feel more protected and get a sense of belonging. Things are changing now but getting rid of something as relevant to their cultural identity which they may be proud of because of all those struggles they went through for gaining their rights will take a some time.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Was what you meant that the existence of racist slurs within minorities creates greater distance from the rest and in a sense contributes to racism because it can come off as double standards? Since they are fighting against being discriminated but they also refer to each other in ways that make them seem like they are ok with being seen as different and want be treated differently.

Its likely a cultural thing that was developed for the sake of unity so they can feel more protected and get a sense of belonging. Things are changing now but getting rid of something as relevant to their cultural identity which they may be proud of because of all those struggles they went through for gaining their rights will take a some time.
Basically, it's just a derogatory word that's not being used in a joking way like it is with "sup faggot?" for example. I understand that it's the same as saying "sup homie" or "my dawg" if you want to go to older slang, and is essentially a term of endearment. However, it demonstrates hypocrisy and the word is inextricably linked with violence and brutality. No degree of appropriating can rid it of that history and it's failed to be reappropriated which is the reason it still remains offensive in some contexts. Aside from that, it's incredibly clique-ish and creates division because it is a word that possesses unity of black people and separation from other races (since only black people can use it as a term of endearment) as though it's them VS the world--implying they are separate rather than simply human beings like anyone else without paying so much attention to race. So basically, it's something that feeds to the mindset that black people are separate from others still. To me, when I hear it, it seems like being in unity over lowliness; not because black people are lowly, but because the degrading word is something meant to imply that they are lowlier than the rest of the world...and it comes off as embracing that and bonding within lowliness.

TLDR; the word has failed to be reappropriated and will continue to do so because its history is far too potent.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
So...

It has little to do with the word itself.
You automatically shut down my opinion, and with no supportive reasoniong, just pure denial/invalidation...

While it's wonderful that you would never use a slur or ethic or racial degradation - why are you so eager to tell people that?
Then you begin to surmise and question my motives...

Why are you are having a visceral reaction to someone out there calling someone <insert slur>?
Then you assume my reaction is visceral, which also means no logical reasoning involved, while in reality you merely shut your ears to it by automatically shutting down my point of view...

My original point was that you said - Hitler - the Jew that hated Jews - as some kind of self-loathing example you could also apply to race. That's not true, it is an entirely debunked conspiracy thought up by Hitler's attorney that was tried at Nuremberg and executed in 1946 for war crimes and crimes against humanity. Using this kind of bullshit to validate issues with black people is weak but it's an argument a lot of people make and yet another example of the lack of critical thinking and the incredible power of propaganda.
Then you overreact to mere widespread misinformation that's been being taught to people for years.

Why are you talking to me unless you're trying to start some drama?

EDIT:
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more you seem like you're projecting when you say I'm having a visceral reaction. I mean, what was even the goal or point in this post other than to personally attack me? This just makes you come off as a toxic individual.

Klaus V.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Do you feel whites have a right to enjoy the music? Do you feel disdain when you see white people listening to "Black" music?

No, I think everyone should have the right to enjoy whatever kind of music they like.

2. How do you feel about them, say like the Kendrick experience, when they rap or sing it back, using the exact lyrics even if they used the N word in the song?

I think the context in which the word is used matters a lot, and in that case, I don't see much of an issue with it.

3. How do you feel about white rappers in general?

Doesn't matter to me if they are white or not.

4. What do you think appreciation of rap music should do for your community?

Not sure how to respond to this one, so I'm skipping it.

5. Is there a right or wrong way to handle this topic?

Who knows, I'm not overly concerned with it.

6. If you are comfortable, this is completely optional, what race do you identify with?

I'm racially mixed and latino.

I should note that I don't come from an English-speaking country, so my opinion is more of an outsider looking in.

Klaus V.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Basically, it's just a derogatory word that's not being used in a joking way like it is with "sup faggot?" for example. I understand that it's the same as saying "sup homie" or "my dawg" if you want to go to older slang, and is essentially a term of endearment. However, it demonstrates hypocrisy and the word is inextricably linked with violence and brutality. No degree of appropriating can rid it of that history and it's failed to be reappropriated which is the reason it still remains offensive in some contexts. Aside from that, it's incredibly clique-ish and creates division because it is a word that possesses unity of black people and separation from other races (since only black people can use it as a term of endearment) as though it's them VS the world--implying they are separate rather than simply human beings like anyone else without paying so much attention to race. So basically, it's something that feeds to the mindset that black people are separate from others still. To me, when I hear it, it seems like being in unity over lowliness; not because black people are lowly, but because the degrading word is something meant to imply that they are lowlier than the rest of the world...and it comes off as embracing that and bonding within lowliness.

TLDR; the word has failed to be reappropriated and will continue to do so because its history is far too potent.

I partly agree with your opinion that the word has some irreparable derogatory meaning, but I also feel like it's ultimately their right to decide whether or not to use it (not implying that you were claiming the opposite, by the way, just stating my position). Even if it feels clique-ish or degrading, it's their history, so to some extent I understand the value in reclaiming it and using it within their own circles. I don't think unity of one race necessarily implies separation from other races, different races still have different cultural backgrounds and ways of communicating; it's possible to acknowledge that and still respect and communicate with others as human beings. Besides, it's far too ingrained in their culture at this point, so there is some degree of irreversibility there as well. But I also do understand the derogatory aspect, I'm LGBT, and I dislike when LGBT people use slurs like 'queer' even if it's in a friendly way, but I also think it's their choice/preference, their feelings about the word are different from mine and that's ok. And I recognize that the context in which they use a homophobic slur is generally different from a non-LGBT person using it. I see the use of the N-word among black people in a similar way.

Mole

Permabanned
Racism is making its way back into normal life, where we are less concerned about the content of character and more concerned about the colour of our skin.

This new strain of racism is cool and has the importance of ideology.