• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cheer Up!

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I forget my sorrows whenever I pour myself into some creative project, whether it be writing stories, composing music, drawing or painting, or computer programming. When a friend of mine is feeling down, I usually don't put a lot of effort into trying to shift their mood. When someone is depressed for a specific reason, they are usually put off by someone trying to lift their spirits in any way that fails to solve the real problem and would rather let the mood pass of its own accord.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Also for the “cheer up” thing, where I said I appreciated when people reached out- there are circumstances where I wish someone wouldnt, and usually those circumstances are if the person is insistant on me being cheered up by them to the point where if Im still feeling bad then I should feel guilty. Where they are forcing cheer on me and are frustrated if I dont respond to it. I actually dont mind most attempts, even clumsy ones or ones that are a little dismissive/where people arent sure what to say- because its the thought that counts most of the time. But what I do mind is if someone gives me the “you dont know how good you have it” or “cheer up its not that bad” and keeps forcing that sentiment. I dont even mind someone saying that to me once, because people dont always realize its kind of dismissive and are just trying to help in any way they can- but when it becomes aggressive and shaming is where personally someone needs to back off.

Because yes, I know it can be worse. Yes, I am lucky in a lot of ways. But when Im struggling, someone telling me that I should just be able to “get over it” when I cant... just adds to all the negative feelings and definitely doesnt make me feel better. It just makes me feel like I have to take care of YOUR feelings of discomfort by acting in a way- happy- that I just dont feel.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think society has a lot of pat answers for getting people to 'cheer up'. There is a strongly shared assumption that if someone is sad they are 'doing it wrong'. It is like emotionally herding people into a normative pleasantry. While we have a shared drive away from pain and towards pleasure, it can be misinformed and misapplied when overly simplified.

I find at times in my life when I have pain, there is a tendency for people to try to 'cheer me up' with a subtext that "You are doing it wrong. Do this and that to fix it". There is something insulting about already being down and having someone come along and tell you that you are 'doing it wrong' and their brief observation of your circumstance has more merit than your own lifetime struggle with whatever condition you face.

People who do this are nice and we are all trained to do it by society. This is why I value Carl Rogers humanistic psychology that starts on the foundation and premise that each person is the expert of their own life. When someone is struggling, I think it is better to address them as the expert of their life instead of as the complete failure and idiot of their life. Assume they are doing it right and listen. That is what is empowering and can potentially 'cheer them up', although letting go of a need to change their emotional state is also empowering.

I think what happens to me is that the cheering up attempts always feel to me like they need reassurance from me that my truth isn't their truth. They need to know that however much pain is faced from my perspective I can think happy thoughts and be okay because that way they know that if they faced it, the solution would be easy for them too.

I think it is better to know it is possible to have courage while feeling overwhelming pain than to be reassured that pain is always easily set aside for a happy feeling.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's immature, but memes and pizza for a quick fix, if I am deep in emotional pain. Most times all I need is laughter and social interaction and then I feel better. It works almost every time for me.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's immature, but memes and pizza for a quick fix, if I am deep in emotional pain. Most times all I need is laughter and social interaction and then I feel better. It works almost every time for me.

Immaturity is defined by societal expectations, you do you. :D :hug:

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tend to go for a run. It is just nice to put my earbuds in, turn music up loud, not be able to hear myself think anymore. XD

Cute things are a must for me kind of lol. Pokemon, reorganizing plushies, all that jazz. I guess just distractions help a lot.

Writing also.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=14857]Powehi[/MENTION]... if only we could take what you said here and send it to "Dr." Phil.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When you are feeling down or depressed, what cheers you up?

There's really no quick fix for me when I'm depressed, but I often try to distract myself with some sort of stimulation that excites me. Music used to work when I was a kid but it hasn't been lately. Martial arts works better now. Even just practicing moves on a punching bag is pretty good. I wouldn't say it cheers me up, but it improves my mood.

Is it always the same thing, or does it depend on circumstances?

It depends on circumstances. Sometimes only time can get me back to my baseline mood. The above can simply help speed things up.

Does it help for others to try to cheer you up, or does this need to come from something you do on your own?

Other people's words and actions themselves don't do much for any of my moods; however, I do appreciate knowing that someone is there on my side. So I guess their positive presence does help in a different way.

What do you do to cheer your friends up when they are feeling down?

There really isn't much I can do for them, so I just let them rant and try to say something authentic yet helpful afterward. I'm not going to force them to cheer up because that would be highly hypocritical and nearly impossible.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When you are feeling down or depressed, what cheers you up?

Usually resolving whatever is upsetting me will cheer me up. Or learning everything I can about it, for whatever reason. Illusion of control, probably. That, & distraction, which can vary. Or giving myself something to look forward to. And practicing gratitude or looking for something to learn from the situation. Pollyanna’s Glad Game. It doesn’t resolve the issue itself or discount feeling badly, but it takes the edge off & allows for some perspective & room to walk around the problem in my head a bit more, if that makes sense.

Is it always the same thing, or does it depend on circumstances?

Depends on the circumstances. I’m not going to play the glad game when someone has died or something like that. But grief is an entirely different sort of down, anyway, & probably not what you’re referring to.

My cat will always cheer me up, of course. Usually other things will help, like, talking with my best friend (about anything), or listening to music that I enjoy/singing along with it. Immersion in a good book. Creating something. Or helping with something. Or just staying busy for a little while. It varies. At the end, it always just feels like a cramp letting go. Cardio seems to help with stress regulation for me, too. Sometimes, I just need to sleep on it. Cognitive carwash. Regular sleep, exercise, & healthy food really help me a lot with emotional balance in general. Sometimes writing it out will clear my head.

Does it help for others to try to cheer you up, or does this need to come from something you do on your own?

Usually needs to be something I do myself. I don’t often tell people when I’m acutely upset (I may talk about it after I’ve processed, for context & such). I dislike others trying to ‘fix’ my feelings or my problems, & don’t want them to feel responsible for them. I mostly prefer my friends just treat me normally if they know something is going on. I don’t want to be coddled/smothered, or have unsolicited excessive attention drawn to the issue. Others can indirectly cheer me up simply by being who they are, but it’s not something I like to depend on to soothe myself.

Let them vent. Validate what they are feeling. Then, occasionally, take the conversation for a walk around, branching from that main concern to other random unrelated things (where we can speculate & laugh, etc), then back around to the problem they’re having, if they want to talk about it further. Of course that’s situationally dependent & dependent on the friend dynamic.

(Pre pandemic) I hug them. I invite them over to watch a movie with me or otherwise spend some time outside their heads. Remind them of, or offer up things to look fwd to.

And just be present with them, I guess?

My best friend has clinical depression, which pushes her to isolate, which makes her depression worse. I reassure her it’s okay to come hang out, even if her eyes are randomly leaking. She doesn’t have to necessarily talk about it if she’d rather not. She doesn’t have to even talk at all if she doesn’t want to. And she doesn’t have to be alone with it. We can just hang out. Happy or a total mess is completely accepted here. When she would come over, she said it helped. When I lived closer, she would walk over along a nice wooded path by a river that I know she loves. She said that helped, too.

When she couldn’t come over/couldn’t get out of bed, I’d go over there & hang out on that giant bed with her. Let her cry. Watch some movies. Wash dishes if she fell asleep. Sort her mail. Talk some more. Let her talk, or just... be there. Sometimes you can’t do much else, & there’s no cheering up within your or their means that can be achieved.

You just stand with them in the storm, & let them know: they are loved.

Deprecator

At work whenever anyone communicates any semblance of discontent, my go to response is something to the effect of, "is there anything I can do to help?". This is not a half-hearted gesture on my part -- asking each other how we're doing has become a standardized greeting and expressing discontent is practically "taboo". As such, in the rare occurrence that discontent is communicated it's usually after some degree of familiarity or comfort with one another is obtained (i.e. women who've gone out of their way to flirt with me). If they don't mention anything specific I might be able to do to help with then my next response becomes something to the effect of, "well if you can think of anything or if you ever wanted to talk about anything I'm always here", and afterwards when I see them again I also go out of my way to follow up and ask if things have gotten any better.

Faery

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It sounds bad, but others can rarely cheer me up (unless my sadness or depression is due to something going on with them directly and it gets resolved with them). Any attempts at cheering me up outside of that are met with appreciation that the other person both noticed and cares enough to try, but nothing really reaches deep or goes beyond a surface level of "aw". It's something I have to do on my own, in my own way, on my own time. When I try to cheer someone up who is close to me (and that is rare, I don't have any friends, so I'll pretend it's for my S/O): I try to write something from my heart that will communicate to them that I see them on a deep level and value them for who they are. I think a lot of times the focus can be on what people do for each other and not on who and what they are. Now that I think of it, someone doing that for me would mean a lot to me - the problem is that I don't feel like anyone sees me, so, no one can really comment on the invisible.