• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you slow to trust? Despite no bad experiences.

Snow Turtle

For me personally I'm very slow when it comes to trusting someone with my emotions and secerts. Yet I've constantly found it odd that I believe most people aren't out there to screw me over. The INFJ I've known has been very slow to trust as well despite valuing people on such a high level.

I can't quite figure out what's the reason behind this behaviour. Anybody else identify with it and understand why?

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm slow to trust but I HAVE had bad experiences in the past which caused me to be slow to trust.

But maybe other people are like that because it's better to be safe than sorry, right?

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Maybe it's from things you've observed? I dunno. Are you an introvert? I think introverts might have a harder time sharing their emotions and secrets just because they are used to keeping to themselves. I am pretty trusting, but not in terms of emotions and secrets. I mean I trust most other people to be responsible and respectful. In terms of being self-revealing though, I don't really trust other people to understand me, because I've had some bad experiences. I don't trust a lot of people to be able to know how to react to me, so I don't reveal a lot about myself, in that sense.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
"If there is a tiny, negligible chance of me getting hurt I either think of a back up plan to hurt you or I'll go away...as sick as it sounds.
Or I do like placebo "keep it on the down low.":ninja:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
There's something you don't know and she's not going to tell you.

Seraph

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't have very many 'secrets' or emotions that I would need to share with others, but I find that I am slow to trust somebody with carrying out a task. In fact, there are very few people with whom I would entrust with a meaningful task. Most of the time, I assume that they will fail. It takes a long time before I can trust other people with important tasks.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I am an introvert, and I don't really have much trouble trusting people. I generally trust them until they give me reason not to trust them. Then it's almost impossible for them to regain my trust!
I am also not very good at keeping my emotions to myself. I have been told that I wear my heart on my sleeve. According to the MBTI II, I am an introvert but come across as an extrovert because I am so incredibly expressive. When I try to hide my feelings, people ask me if I'm pouting.

Dysentery_Fairy

MBTI Type
INXP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know if I've ever trusted anyone 100%.

It usually takes years for me to get to at least 80 to 90 percent. Even then I am always skeptical. :ninja:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm slow to trust but I HAVE had bad experiences in the past which caused me to be slow to trust.

But maybe other people are like that because it's better to be safe than sorry, right?

/agree

I'd say that in the past 10 years distrust has been a hard-earned lesson. It was not my instinct, but it has been learned rapidly over many relationship terrains on many levels.

Though to be honest, I'd be hard-pressed to say if my distrust served my best interests or hindered them.

Cause: fear of irreparable emotional injury.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me personally I'm very slow when it comes to trusting someone with my emotions and secerts. Yet I've constantly found it odd that I believe most people aren't out there to screw me over. The INFJ I've known has been very slow to trust as well despite valuing people on such a high level.

I can't quite figure out what's the reason behind this behaviour. Anybody else identify with it and understand why?

I'm pretty open about most things, but I have secrets that are just that - secrets. Some things are not meant to be said to anyone else, because people can't keep stuff to themselves. They can't. I believe that a person who can keep a secret must be a person in control of himself regarding everything. A person who can keep a secret needs to be cold... Not some happy-go-lucky type of person.

I think TJ types are best at keeping secrets, generally. Me and my ISTJ friend and neighbor share a lot, because I know and he knows that none of us will ever tell anyone, even if we're not friends at the moment... It's the ultimate proof of trust... That someone knows all your shit, and don't tell on you even if you have a huge fight that lasts for some time. We had that a few years back, but we became friends again after a year of being worst enemies. He didn't tell anyone shit, even though he's got a lot on me. Sounds like mobster shit... :D

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to be very very slow to trust people with secrets and inner thoughts. I think it was a combination of my personality and experiences. (no bad experiences? thats unrealistic!!)

but, as I get older I trust people more and more... my theory is that if you're not afraid to get hurt, and theres nothing to hide, then nothing can really hurt you. If that makes any sense. (I'm terrible at articulating these things..)

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
my inner thoughts are not a secret. if they are intellectually capable of understanding it, i tell them.
I never trust anyone 100%. nor 0%

did i have bad experience? few, but not that bad. i'm really skeptical, and i usually let my intuitive thinking make the decision on every incident of "trust-or-not" scenario. I think given the current situation, what is the likelyhood of X to talk about this? what adv/disadv X has? If none and chances are very low, i tell them. If temptation exists for X, i don't.
Is not that i think he/she is a bad person. or untrustful, i think even trustworthy people can make mistakes if too much tempations exist. As LocalJesus said, even though i dont think we are talking about the samething; somethings are better left unsaid.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if I'm slow to trust or if I'm just very, very private. I personally hate the idea of letting anyone in my home, but I'm not exactly sure why. I mean, sure, a good deal of is based on mistrust, but I'm not exactly sure as to where and how the mistrust is directed.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
I seem to know instinctively who I can trust and who I can't. So no one has to earn my trust per se, I give it freely to those I let into my life. I've never been betrayed by anyone who I put my trust in, in return I'm very trustworthy as well.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I think people's interpretation of trust has a lot to do with it.

What exactly are you entrusting said person with?

Ten bucks?
Your secrets?

Are you slow to trust people or just slow to make friends? I have plenty of friends (perhaps acquaintances is a better word) that I hang out with but don't particularly trust or care for. To know me I don't feel like you have to earn my trust, it may sound a bit.. cold but after being walked on most my life I place too much stock in friends in general.

Edit: Perhaps I should read the main title of the post