• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gaslighting

Mole

Permabanned
Gaslighting makes us doubt ourselves, it makes us doubt our perceptions, so we can be controlled.

At first gaslighting is under the radar, and is denied, but once we start to doubt our perceptions, gaslighting becomes more open, and takes pride in being able to control and humiliate us.

Gaslighting is relentless, and doesn't respond to reason. Gaslighting is a one way relationship, and gaslighting isolates the victim, who can't check their perceptions with an independent prrson.

The gaslighter pretends to be concerned with the welfare of the victim, while systematically undermining them at every step.

Mole

Permabanned
If I am put on the defensive all and good, as I am to explore my ideas. But if I am put on the defensive non stop, I am being gaslighted, with the purpose of getting me to doubt my own perceptions, and be easy to control.

Lark

The movie that the term gaslighting is derived from is a pretty good film too.

Along with the movie The Collector its a pretty good portrayal of everyday personality disorder. Both old black and white movies people have forgotten about. Largely.

J. Starke

MBTI Type
entj
This is what narcissists do to their victims. The only solution is to get the f*ck out as soon as possible.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I became very distrustful of everyone and misanthropic because I was gaslighted by my own parents for many years.

It really screwed me up and I think it’s part of the reason I withdrew so much in adulthood

Mole

Permabanned
I became very distrustful of everyone and misanthropic because I was gaslighted by my own parents for many years. It really screwed me up and I think it's part of the reason I withdrew so much in adulthood

Yes, the purpose of gaslighting is to make us doubt our own perceptions so we can be more easily controlled. As we get free of the gaslighting we can start to test our perceptions, partly by sharing our perceptions with others.