User Tag List

Thread: Gaslighting

Default Gaslighting

Gaslighting makes us doubt ourselves, it makes us doubt our perceptions, so we can be controlled.

At first gaslighting is under the radar, and is denied, but once we start to doubt our perceptions, gaslighting becomes more open, and takes pride in being able to control and humiliate us.

Gaslighting is relentless, and doesn't respond to reason. Gaslighting is a one way relationship, and gaslighting isolates the victim, who can't check their perceptions with an independent prrson.

The gaslighter pretends to be concerned with the welfare of the victim, while systematically undermining them at every step.

If I am put on the defensive all and good, as I am to explore my ideas. But if I am put on the defensive non stop, I am being gaslighted, with the purpose of getting me to doubt my own perceptions, and be easy to control.
    Likes Firebird 8118 liked this post

The movie that the term gaslighting is derived from is a pretty good film too.

Along with the movie The Collector its a pretty good portrayal of everyday personality disorder. Both old black and white movies people have forgotten about. Largely.

This is what narcissists do to their victims. The only solution is to get the f*ck out as soon as possible.
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Churchill | Imena, my site | other one

NITE FLIGHTS Tactical Turtleneck's Avatar
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I became very distrustful of everyone and misanthropic because I was gaslighted by my own parents for many years.

It really screwed me up and I think it’s part of the reason I withdrew so much in adulthood
    Johari: http://kevan.org/jh/tactical+turtleneck
    Nohari: http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Tactical+Turtleneck

Fuck this year
    Fuck life
    Fuck humanity
    Likes The Cat liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Turtleneck View Post
    I became very distrustful of everyone and misanthropic because I was gaslighted by my own parents for many years. It really screwed me up and I think it's part of the reason I withdrew so much in adulthood
    Yes, the purpose of gaslighting is to make us doubt our own perceptions so we can be more easily controlled. As we get free of the gaslighting we can start to test our perceptions, partly by sharing our perceptions with others.
    Likes Tactical Turtleneck liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    279 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OliverKawalaHarris View Post
    I just got out of a ten year marriage. Gas lighting is horrible.
    Good riddance - hope you come out of it a much stronger person!
    “The world breaks everyone, then some become strong at the broken places.” ~Ernest Hemingway

Johari: https://kevan.org/johari?name=~MS*ANGEL~
    Nohari: https://kevan.org/nohari?name=~MS*ANGEL~

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    "And then, raising my lids slowly and looking out from underneath my lashes, i captured him with my eyes"