123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default "Most girls aren't funny" they say

I've heard this comment several times from guys that come from all different parts of the world. Normally it's said as a compliment to me; something along the lines of, "You're actually funny, which is cool because most girls aren't." (Weird since I always think I'm not.) I feel like asking among a larger group of people now - is this true based on your experience? Why do so many guys say this? Have you heard a lot of them say this to you before if you're a girl?

Enneagram
    461 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

I have a boring story that relates to this topic.

For a couple of years, I was on a Discord server that I used to enjoy. At least, until I started opening up about my dysphoria and they didn't take any of it seriously. Most of it was that they were reducing my comments to "not like the other girls" mentality... which is not true at all, because I don't want to be seen as a girl at all, or they decided to just constantly remind me of the fact that I was born with two X chromosomes. Other times they were just plain sexist (stuff along the lines of negative female stereotypes and viewing women negatively).

Anyway, I digress. The final straw was actually a response to me posting some joke, and then a friend saying "MovinOut is the only funny female" Which pissed me off because not only is it a shitty generality, but he completely ignored all of my comments on that server.

But anyway, yes. I've heard comments like "Most girls aren't funny" and me being an exception () too much throughout my life. I don't know why dudes say this.
    And I've been a hero, helpless, I'm in hell...

silent all these years: my personal blog

vote on my type

Johari / Nohari
    Likes Aerix, Novella, RadicalDoubt liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

I haven鈥檛 experienced this. I have been told at times I have no sense of humor/am no fun by both men and women though. Other times I have been perceived as very funny. It鈥檚 all highly situation based imo. Anyone who consistently finds all or most woman unfunny probably doesn鈥檛 understand our humor.
    鈥淎ll men by nature desire to know鈥 ~ Aristotle
    Likes Aerix, Novella liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    IEI

Because it's simply true most of the time. Guys have to be funny to be attractive, girls don't.

Of course, I wouldn't find that as an excuse to make such a cheap comment about someone.

NITE FLIGHTS Tactical Turtleneck's Avatar
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I don鈥檛 think we (men, generally speaking) are as used to women going out of their way to be funny, because society and biology place different expectations on the sexes, meaning different mating strategies. Humor is like any other social skill and can be developed or ignored.

they are not inherently less funny; also there are plenty of humorless men in the world.

Some of the funniest people I know are women, like my mom and wife.
    Johari: http://kevan.org/jh/tactical+turtleneck
    Nohari: http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Tactical+Turtleneck

Come armageddon, come armageddon, come
    Likes Stigmata, Aerix liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    952 sx/sp

I've never heard anyone say this.

But I also never really felt like I was expected to be dumb where I grew up, so it could just be that I am blind to some of those types of expectations.
    There is a crack in everything
    T h a t ' s...h o w...t h e...l i g h t...g e t s...i n
    Likes Aerix liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

I don't think being funny comes natural to anybody, even if funny people seem like naturals at it- it's usually predicated on a lifetime of motivated practice, whether they realize it or not. I remember Jim Carry saying he mostly got into it to make his mother laugh when he was a kid. Because of its difficulty, I don't think it's the first tool most people reach for as they establish themselves as social players in the world. But not all tools are available to everyone, depending on the circumstances of their existence.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

"Most girls are not funny" actually has some psychology based around it. Like said above, women do not need to be funny. They have the capacity for it, yes. But then you have to ask what is humor? Humor generally involves being somewhat offensive/controversial. Men usually have no issue with being offensive, but women sometimes do. So they are more likely to not be as funny. If you've ever watched comedians on TV, and looked at the differences between men and women. The subjects they choose to joke about are very different from each other.
    涓鏈熶竴浼

NITE FLIGHTS Tactical Turtleneck's Avatar
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Just speculating now, but I wonder if weaker men way back in our evolutionary history started to employ humor as a strategy to compete with men who were physically stronger. I鈥檓 imagining a few bipedal, hairy ape-like people a few million years ago. A female protohuman is minding her own business when a male comes along to do a mating dance. She seems interested until Suddenly a larger male shoves him out of the way and begins his own mating dance. So the smaller male comes back and starts making amusing sounds and gestures to regain the female鈥檚 interest.

Don鈥檛 mind me, just speculating out of my ass, really.

Research has shown dogs have a particular sound that is a form of laughing. Ape species laugh as well. So I鈥檓 not sure how far back in our own lineage that humor developed as a mating strategy, but we can see that laughing and amusement are not limited to Homo Sapiens.
    Johari: http://kevan.org/jh/tactical+turtleneck
    Nohari: http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Tactical+Turtleneck

Come armageddon, come armageddon, come
    Likes awbro liked this post

I think it's true that men are funnier than women on average. Women do have a sense of humor but there's a difference between being funny and having a sense of humor. The funniest women I've met have been INTP women.
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Churchill | Imena, my site | other one
    Likes UnitOfPopulation liked this post