• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Most girls aren't funny" they say

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Here's one that addresses the question of whether or not it's a stereotype based on misogyny. This study basically provides evidence that these claims are unrelated to gender biases.

Think about someone you know who has a great sense of humor. Are you thinking of a man or a woman? Most people, when asked this question, imagine a man. There is a prevalent stereotype that men are funnier than women. This stereotype is shared by both men and women—but of course, just because it exists does not mean it is true.

Humor is a complex phenomenon that involves social, emotional, physiological, cognitive, cultural and evolutionary influences, to name a few. One important aspect is the ability to make others laugh. Humor production ability is a distinct cognitive ability that is largely uncorrelated with appreciation and enjoyment of humor. When looking at who is the funnier sex, we focus then on humor production ability.

To do so, we conducted a systematic review known as meta-analysis, a method in which researchers collect all available data on a given topic that meets certain criteria defined by the researchers. In our case, we only included studies that objectively evaluated humor ability. We excluded studies where people evaluated their own humor ability, as most people believe they have an above-average sense of humor. We also did not include studies where the sex of the person was known to the evaluator. For example, the sex of a teacher may have an effect on how funny he or she is perceived.

We were able to find 28 studies with 36 independent samples that met our criteria. The combined sample included 5,057 participants (67 percent women). Studies were from various countries (U.S., U.K., Hungary, Germany, Israel and more). Most of the data (60 percent) came from data that was never published before in a peer-reviewed journal, which helps to minimize the effect of publication bias.

We then calculated sex differences on the combined sample and found that men were, overall, rated as funnier than women. How big was the difference? In statistical technical terms, the effect size was 0.32, or roughly one-third of the standard deviation. In plain English, this means that 63 percent of men score above the mean humor ability of women. This is considered a small to medium difference.

We also looked for a long list of possible confounding variables that might explain the difference. The countries where the data come from, the sex of the authors doing the research, age of participants, whether there were more men or women judging the humor—none of it made a difference in our analysis.

What does it all mean? It means that to the best of our knowledge, on average, men appear to have higher humor production ability than women. Note that I emphasized the word average because the study does not mean, as Christopher Hitchens famously proclaimed, that women are not funny. The fact that men, on average, appear to be funnier than women, does not imply that every single man is funnier than every single woman. There are many great female comedians such as Sarah Silverman, Tina Fey, Ali Wong and historically, Lucille Ball, Joan Rivers, and many, many more. All these great comedians are funnier than 99.9 percent of all men.

Are Men Really Funnier Than Women? | Psychology Today

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Yep. :D

People are so vastly different from each other. The idea that gender identity equals humor is dumb, frankly. And I think that if the thought that either isn't funny pops into someone's mind, it's likely because they're either spending too much time in some overly homogeneous or possibly stifled environment or they have some underlying bias that is coloring their vision.
After reading the materials I've posted here I regard this in my own mind as an interesting hypothesis. You're free to question or doubt the data as you see fit, of course, and if you do I'd love to hear your thoughts about why that is. As for myself, I'm inclined to regard empirical data as the prevailing authority on the matter while considering the conclusion open-ended. However, I've rather enjoyed the opposing views this thread has presented and the way it has challenged the notion that men tend to be funnier on average/in general, even though the data suggests that saying "most women aren't funny" is an exaggeration.

I'm also still very curious about and interested in analyzing some of the views that have been expressed on this thread. If you don't mind, I'd like to gain more insight/understanding of why you think these things. Prior to asking a few questions I have though, I'd just like to confirm whether or not what you're stating here was coming from a somewhat different angle than what the data addresses. What I mean by that is, were your thoughts that you shared here referring to a collective average just like the articles, or were you thinking more along the lines of "some women are funnier than most men, thus this is dumb"? (Or perhaps some other angle I haven't mentioned here, I guess.)

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I wonder if the reason people find me funny, is because I am ugly and have a masculine personality. :thinking: Gotta compensate for my lack of looks.
Have you noticed whether it's generally men, women, or ≈ equally both that find you funny?
Also, for whatever answer you give to that, do you think this conclusion is impacted by which you tend to socialize with more often?

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Society at large is still misogynistic and expects almost nothing from women, so even if she is genuinely funny, she'll still be held by standards much higher than if a man made the same joke.
Men who say that most girls or women aren't funny sounds to me like they're trying to neg a woman and knock her self esteem down a few pegs and well, that's just very sus and gross.
If some guy heard this and suggested that you were merely being cynical about men in general here, would you consider that to be a possibility? If you would disagree with them and wanted to explain your reasons why, what would you say? Does research such as that which is shared here change your mind about how you view peoples' intentions and reasons for concluding that men tend to be funnier?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you noticed whether it's generally men, women, or ≈ equally both that find you funny?
Also, for whatever answer you give to that, do you think this conclusion is impacted by which you tend to socialize with more often?

Well, seeing how most of my friends online are girls, and most of my friends offline are boys. I really can't tell which ones find me more funny. I should note though, I change my humor based around someones gender, as I think the genders find different things funny. I do it without really realizing it too. I am m8ch more offensive around guys. I do think guys enjoy my humor more though.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If these were random people I didn't know saying it, I'd say perhaps...but with these guys in particular, I've known some of them very well and they were nothing like this. One of the guys was actually my brother. He was talking about a crush he had at this particular time and he basically had the girl on a pedestal...he has this tendency to see all positives when he's crushing on someone. In his mind she was genuinely just "different than other girls." Also, she wasn't around when he was saying it about her. He was just going on about all these positive things about her.

I've considered they may be saying it for the opposite reason, to make the girl feel special, but I also know for certain that some of these guys were being sincere.

I will say though that thus far, all the guys I've heard say it have said it about girls they found attractive...so I wonder whether it could be a bias? If not a difference in interests / topics most girls joke about.

Could be. I just find it hard to believe that "most girls aren't funny" because throughout my entire life, women have made me laugh loads of time. And it isn't because I find them attractive, because I do, but also because whatever it is they have said or done that is funny at the time, was actually funny in its own right.

Anyway, interesting thread, I have heard people saying the same thing and it's just like.. bruh, go outside, and talk to more women, will you? Like. Stop. :dry::happy2:

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If some guy heard this and suggested that you were merely being cynical about men in general here, would you consider that to be a possibility? If you would disagree with them and wanted to explain your reasons why, what would you say? Does research such as that which is shared here change your mind about how you view peoples' intentions and reasons for concluding that men tend to be funnier?

I don't mean to insinuate that every single man out there is out to get me on the basis of my sex, I am speaking in generalities with the reality that cultural misogyny is a thing that many places still practice, and yes that includes the West as well.

If they asked me, I would just say that this is something I notice as a woman in a world that does treat men and women differently, even if done subconsciously. This thread that the men have told you or you heard from them before proves it. In a perfectly equal world, no one would say in all seriousness "Most women aren't funny" because you might as well say "Most men aren't funny, either", I mean why not? Men and women can joke about the same things, I've spoken with funny people regardless of they're a man or a woman. It's just sexism, honestly.

I'm not sure what you mean by the research here, I haven't looked through the entire thread before I made my first post lol, I'll have to get back to you on that. But regardless, I absolutely have laughed with women and their jokes before in all seriousness, so again........ I'm just not buying it when people really believe that we're not as funny as men are. Too many people in this world with different talents in humor to conclude such a blanket statement, imo.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Don’t get so down on yourself. I think you have still have an inner comedian waiting to be unleashed. You ever think about trying open mic stand up?

Comedy is the best way of coping with the pain and absurdity of modern life.

Id be no good at stand up, Im too slow. But life is pretty absurd, and laughter definitely sometimes is all you can do.

Awww, don't be hard on yourself.

tumblr_n8w9uhy25H1tdnervo1_r1_250.gifv

Haha Im nothing but hard on myself. I have to be. But thanks.

Wap wap wap as I drag down this thread to hah.

I've kind of felt the same way before. Once things started picking back up in my life and the episodes got more under control people started saying I was funny again. You've made me laugh several times recently and I think you're funny. It's just really difficult for anyone to keep that up once you reach a certain level of struggle, depression, and unhappiness...but that's not who people are, it's them feeling unwell. In other words, you are a funny person but you're going through difficulties right now, and that doesn't define you. :hug:

Its cool. I probably have too much brain damage at this point to ever be funny again. But there are other things I can be hopefully, like idk. Im not sure what those would be but Im sure theres something

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I'm not sure what you mean by the research here, I haven't looked through the entire thread before I made my first post lol, I'll have to get back to you on that. But regardless, I absolutely have laughed with women and their jokes before in all seriousness, so again........ I'm just not buying it when people really believe that we're not as funny as men are. Too many people in this world with different talents in humor to conclude such a blanket statement, imo.
Posts 84 and 85. 85 in particular does a gender blind study that still concludes that both men and women found men funnier on average.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Posts 84 and 85. 85 in particular does a gender blind study that still concludes that both men and women found men funnier on average.

I don’t think that means women cannot be as funny though.

I think that cultural and biological imperatives encourage men to develop theirs more. But when women develop theirs, they have potential to become comedy legends like Jane Lynch and Tracy Ullman

This might be controversial, but I’d be curious to know if lesbian and bisexual women overall work harder to develop their humor than do straight women. Not sure if any studies exist to confirm or disprove this hypothesis. The reason I ask, do gay and bisexual women rank sense of humor as a desirable quality in potential female mates (as highly as straight women rank it as a desirable traitor in potential male mates), and if so, would it stand to reason that they might work to be funnier to attract other women?

(Incidentally, Jane Lynch is gay and one of the funniest women I’ve ever seen. My funniest female friends were often lesbians. I am not implying gay women are inherently funnier but rather speculating that they may work harder to hone their humor as a means to the end of attracting female mates, just as their straight male peers probably work hard to hone their humor to attract female mates. I don’t claim to know or understand how gay women think, just genuinely curious)

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Yep. :D

People are so vastly different from each other. The idea that gender identity equals humor is dumb, frankly. And I think that if the thought that either isn't funny pops into someone's mind, it's likely because they're either spending too much time in some overly homogeneous or possibly stifled environment or they have some underlying bias that is coloring their vision.
Btw, forgive me if what I said about the hypothesis seemed like invalidation of your viewpoint, this wasn't my intention and I later realized how it could come across. I meant that in my own mind I considered this to be a possibility until data showed otherwise.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I don’t think that means women cannot be as funny though.

I think that cultural and biological imperatives encourage men to develop theirs more. But when women develop theirs, they have potential to become comedy legends like Jane Lynch and Tracy Ullman
Agreed, and the article agreed as well, and covered this in the following paragraph:

What does it all mean? It means that to the best of our knowledge, on average, men appear to have higher humor production ability than women. Note that I emphasized the word average because the study does not mean, as Christopher Hitchens famously proclaimed, that women are not funny. The fact that men, on average, appear to be funnier than women, does not imply that every single man is funnier than every single woman. There are many great female comedians such as Sarah Silverman, Tina Fey, Ali Wong and historically, Lucille Ball, Joan Rivers, and many, many more. All these great comedians are funnier than 99.9 percent of all men.

This might be controversial, but I’d be curious to know if lesbian and bisexual women overall work harder to develop their humor than do straight women. Not sure if any studies exist to confirm or disprove this hypothesis. The reason I ask, do gay women rank sense of humor as a desirable quality in potential mates, and if so, would it stand to reason that they might work to be funnier to attract other women?
Yeah, that's an interesting question to me as well. One opinion from one of the videos I shared here was that those who they think tend to be funnier are butch types, but I don't see this as evidence, of course. I'm just saying that some think there's something to this. I found no studies, only some thread that shared the opinion that lesbians tend to be funnier...not that I'm failing to make a distinction between butch and lesbian, as my wording might make it seem.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Well, seeing how most of my friends online are girls, and most of my friends offline are boys. I really can't tell which ones find me more funny. I should note though, I change my humor based around someones gender, as I think the genders find different things funny. I do it without really realizing it too. I am m8ch more offensive around guys. I do think guys enjoy my humor more though.
I do similar, except it's based upon the individuals rather than gender. I tend to try to gauge what will be annoying or funnier based on peoples' personalities, behaviors, and words. However, I can almost exclusively do this in-person, as it involves picking up on a lot of nonverbal communication. Anyway, so...you're not wrong. Men, on average, tend to find aggressive humor funnier. What kind of humor do you tend to have when you're around females?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do similar, except it's based upon the individuals rather than gender. I tend to try to gauge what will be annoying or funnier based on peoples' personalities, behaviors, and words. However, I can almost exclusively do this in-person, as it involves picking up on a lot of nonverbal communication. Anyway, so...you're not wrong. Men, on average, tend to find aggressive humor funnier. What kind of humor do you tend to have when you're around females?

Not exactly sure, since I do it naturally. It might be based more around what you said. I think I am a lot less likely to joke about depressing things or mean things around females.

Mole

Permabanned
Apparently the differences between women, and the differences between men, are greater than the differences between men and women.