• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The influence of avatars

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think so. Yes.

Ah, I can see that now. But before, it was like the intensity of the cat's anger made it as powerful as a lion in my mind. You might say I made a mountain lion out of a field kitten... or something. I tend to be more affected by the emotions I see in something than the ability of said creature to do something about them.

I mean, honestly... instead of looking at the cat's size, pay attention to what it's expressing. Imagine what it would do... if it could actually ACT on what it was feeling, and impact people or other animals with it's state of mind.

I suppose that perception is because I'm such a mind over matter person. I fear the one with the biggest temper, more than I fear the one with the biggest claws.

I guess it's all in how you see that picture of the cat projecting emotion. Where as I see him projecting amusement or hilarity, you see him projecting anger. I guess I can see that, because it could look to someone else like he's hissing. I never saw it before because I was so convinced that the cat appeared to be laughing.

In reality an angry cat can be an unsettling thing, I agree.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I guess it's all in how you see that picture of the cat projecting emotion. Where as I see him projecting amusement or hilarity, you see him projecting anger. I guess I can see that, because it could look to someone else like he's hissing. I never saw it before because I was so convinced that the cat appeared to be laughing.

In reality an angry cat can be an unsettling thing, I agree.

Well, that's probably just because I've never seen a cat laugh. I had a cat once, and he never laughed. He purred with contentment, got nervous, meowed for attention, and got mad. Those were the only emotional states I ever saw. Maybe I just didn't have a very expressive cat...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was being mistaken for Hot 80's Val Kilmer so I had to put myself up instead as proof that I am a girl and NOT in fact a tasty blond god jackass playing volleyball.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
I believe avatars can definitely affect how we feel about the person. There was one avatar that was hot! Other avatars give me a vibe, some leave no lasting impression at all. Not all of them, but some like Synarch's really identify the person. Which is always a good thing.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm actually thinking about changing mine. I can't decide, what impression do you get from my avatar and how does it color your perception of my posts

I love your avatar. I really hope you don't change it.

ETA: I picked mine because she has my hair, except mine is redder. I also just liked the flow and movement of it.

I do think people react to avatars. Sometimes I'm tempted to put up a Jeffster-type pin-up and watch the responses to my posts double. I'm cynical enough without that, though.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I usually pick an avatar that either illustrates a concept I think is funny, or is an oblique picture of me.

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
How do they affect you? Do you choose them to reflect your mood/persona or do you find they alter the way you feel/interact online?
Have you noticed changes in the way other people interact with you after changing your av?
<----I'm curious.

I use mine so people know what I mean by "Helios", or at least people familiar with a certain videogame.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I do think people react to avatars. Sometimes I'm tempted to put up a Jeffster-type pin-up and watch the responses to my posts double. I'm cynical enough without that, though.

That is sad. Isn't it?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My avatar/internet alias brings the fluff out of me.

If I would have a name such as 'ladiesman217', I'd probably be toying around with little robots without having time to post fluff on the forums.

Also, it's good to have a tail.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that my avatar describes something essential about me. It's complex: communicates something vividly while being vague about the particulars. I like that. I don't know how others respond to it.

For my part, if I'm taking some sort of superficial cue into consideration I tend to respond more to the type of person than the avatar. Also, I don't care if the person is writing about raising 5 kids while struggling with a meth addiction any post written with excessive smileys will automatically be read in my head as by a 13 year old girl.

LucrativeSid

Well, I asked people in Ventrilo and they didn't get it. I'm not sure that YOU get it. Private message me what you think. If you are right, I'll send you my autograph in the mail. (If you pay for the postage.)

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
avatars and sigs are turned off for me

only thing that affects me is your post and possibly your self-stated type

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i wonder if anyone is influenced to act differently based on their own avatar?

i don't think i am influenced by my avatar, but i only put up avatars that are already in line with who i am.
but i am influenced by all your avatars, for sure.