• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The influence of avatars

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
^^^ well not at all like your real pic...
you look all sinister and cocky in your avi but seem quite the opposite from your pic

Hmmm.. How does my pic give you that impression I'm a little curious. I'm not cocky IRL but I'm confident when I'm interested in something, not necessarily when I'm curious about things (the uncertainty fuels my drive). I'm more expressive and confident when I'm discussing or debating though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm.. How does my pic give you that impression I'm a little curious. I'm not cocky IRL but I'm confident when I'm interested in something, not necessarily when I'm curious about things (the uncertainty fuels my drive). I'm more expressive and confident when I'm discussing or debating though.

i didn't mean to imply you come off as unconfident in your pic...no...you seem sure of yourself...just kinda sweeter about it.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Just for clarification, Aimahn, are you not naturally light hearted? You seem to come off as a natural in your posts.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Nahh I am. Too much so in fact. It's just interesting seeing others perceptions, I switch though. Im not naturally forthcoming in realife I'm much more reserved except to those who I am familiar with and comfortable with. It's actually complete opposites, two faced if you will, (without the negative connotation that implies) Maybe I should get a little Harvey Dent avi. That would be kinda cool.

i didn't mean to imply you come off as unconfident in your pic...no...you seem sure of yourself...just kinda sweeter about it.

Hahah lol nahh I figured. I always get that comment from people, I find it kind of funny. Sweet or cute is what I usually get, along with a little Awweee, like a little baby bro or something. It's a little shocking for my NT demeanor. It feels like I get NF-ized, and even more so because I'm so shy. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Totally. I choose my avatar based on my mood. I don't know if people interact differently with me, but I assume they do, since I interact differently with them. Why? An avatar for me is a mix between a costume (which makes me get into character) and a ritual, like cleansing or shedding my old skin. It helps me move forward and let go of any expectations I have for myself that build up over time, in terms of the person I should be and the things I should say, and free myself. It's pretty deep, I guess. I should note that I don't actually think about all this when changing my avatar, but now that you've asked, that's how I'd interpret the process.

Regarding other people's avatars, yeah, I probably create some type of association with the person posting, and interpret it at some level. Some are funny, some think they're funny, some seem introspective and artistic, some seem unique, other just bubble-gum pop. Sometimes I'm conscious or the inferences I make, sometimes not.

The sexy avatars are a whole different ballgame. The associations I make are strong and automatic.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Without even looking at your type I thought "INTP". Late teens/early twenties. Considerate towards loading times of victims of dial-up. Feels like irl people don't realize how dark he really is. Gets credited with niceness he considers offensively undeserved.

Hahah lol nahh I figured. I always get that comment from people, I find it kind of funny. Sweet or cute is what I usually get, along with a little Awweee, like a little baby bro or something. It's a little shocking for my NT demeanor. It feels like I get NF-ized, and even more so because I'm so shy. :blush:

:cool:

(screw context)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've always wondered what other people are trying to project about themselves through thier avatars, since there's got to be a reason for choosing them :thinking:

Mine I pick on a whim- Marlon Brando at the moment because I enjoy looking at him every time I post something :laugh: In the past I had a lot of cartoon character avatars because they made me happy (and Captain Haddock was actually one of my favorites! :heart:) and my dog for a while before that- complete with reindeer antlers. I may have the dog with antlers again once Thanksgiving is past and it's the Christmas Season officially again! (it's all for you, Jen!)

Lightyear

I chose my avatar because I love the atmosphere and warm colours of it plus it is probably my favourite Tori Amos picture ever.

I get confused when people on here change their avatars because a lot of them tend to pick usernames that I find difficult to remember so once somebody changes his/her avatar I think: "Who is this person??"

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I've noticed too.
And I've also noticed my own attitude change, I'm just not sure which came first, the image, or the attitude.

This new one is my fav of yours.

Changed how?

And thank you. ^^

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm disgustingly uncreative when it comes to selecting images, concepts not so much, but a physical representation is something I've always struggled with. Even way back when, when I used to be a decent drawer I always had to have some source of inspiration to derive ideas from. And not surprsingly it was a physical manifestation, that's why my avatars are usually sport or movie related and not so "artsy."

MBTI Type
ENTP
You know how these ENxPs know you better than you know yourself..:)

sorry, I just....Really? :shock: no.

I wouldn't say avatars influence so much as inform. They're the most immediately apparent extension of the poster's personality. So I'm always open to being proven wrong about my opinions but I can't help if I've noticed patterns between types of avatars and types of people.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't say avatars influence so much as inform. They're the most immediately apparent extension of the poster's personality. So I'm always open to being proven wrong about my opinions but I can't help if I've noticed patterns between types of avatars and types of people.

How can you be proven wrong about your opinions when you only allude to them, rather than express them directly?

:jew:

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
sorry, I just....Really? :shock: no.

booya your avatar always makes me think of a shy very attractive girl who I secretly want to corrupt. It bothers me very much, I see your posts in a very different light than you probably intend.

'tis the price you pay for having pictures of attractive females!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm actually thinking about changing mine. I can't decide, what impression do you get from my avatar and how does it color your perception of my posts
Your avatar frightens me, so I turned it off, but I still read your posts.
I guess it would affect my opinion of you if I left it on,
but all I have to go on is your words and your type.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Hell yeah they do. You can get away with more if you have a happy-go-lucky avatar. People are more likely to assume you're "kidding around," whether you are or not.