• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does typology encourage parasocial relationships?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
"A parasocial relationship (PSR) is a one-sided relationship that media users form as a result of exposure to media personas. --Wikipedia

Here's a video better explaining parasocial relationships:

I bring this up because as a community, we prescribe personality traits and awfully personal assumptions onto people with the interest of typing them. Using the word in it's most neutral sense, is this parasocial?

Mole

Permabanned
"A parasocial relationship (PSR) is a one-sided relationship that media users form as a result of exposure to media personas. --Wikipedia

Here's a video better explaining parasocial relationships:

I bring this up because as a community, we prescribe personality traits and awfully personal assumptions onto people with the interest of typing them. Using the word in it's most neutral sense, is this parasocial?

It's true typology does pretend to be neutral, in fact our real name is mbti central but the business of Mbti wrote to us threatening us with legal action if we continued to use their business name of Mbti, so we changed our name to typology central.

We are just as neutral as somatic typing, as in Aryan, Jew, Negro, Chinese, Slavic, and Indian. In fact Carl Jung invented personality typing to complement somatic typing.

Both somatic and personality typing reify the person. Both somatic and personality typing turns us into things, so we can be manipulated with a clear conscience.

Typology appears to be neutral in order to bypass our conscience.

Normally we reify our enemies in order to fight and kill them, but typology reifies our friends.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] could you elaborate on what you mean? Without a video? (I'm lazy and don't tend to watch videos that are posted) :)

Mole

Permabanned
"A parasocial relationship (PSR) is a one-sided relationship that media users form as a result of exposure to media personas. --Wikipedia Here's a video better explaining parasocial relationships:

Rather than being parallel to the social as in parasocial, the social is the content of the net, just as theatre is the content of the movies, or manuscripts are the content of the book.

Jaguar

I could only take 50 seconds of that video before calling it bullshit and leaving.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=27952]Merced[/MENTION] could you elaborate on what you mean? Without a video? (I'm lazy and don't tend to watch videos that are posted) :)

Okay I found a really good article about it if you would rather read about it.

Link to the article

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I keep misreading the thread title as, Does typology encourage paranormal relationships?

I don’t think personality typing necessarily creates one sided relationships, but social media platforms in general (including a typology forum) can be prone to projection. You never get the full picture of another person. Our minds can easily fill in the spaces. This can lead to misunderstandings in terms of how much personal investment each party has in the other & their interactions.

With the labels typology offers, yeah, people may fill in those blank spaces with attributes/expectations that fit in that 4 letter box, but at the end of the day, it’s just different names for the same thing. Only way to avoid it or reduce it is to remain open, & try to have balanced conversations/build actual friendships, I suppose. :shrug:

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it could be considered such yes.

For instance from my knowledge of MBTI if I see a type E8 I assume we're going to conflict and it sometimes turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Like you see a type and assume connection or disconnection. I think it could be more correlated to a form of a prejudice though.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Okay, but why/how do you think typology would encourage that?

My thinking is like, say you see a celebrity and they start to exhibit behavior that resembles that of a Ne-dom. That person starts to show themselves more and more in media and you follow to keep track and observe them to justify the theory that they are in fact a ENxP. That bond you create when typing them and assuming you know there personality inside out, that is what I'm thinking could lead to parasocial relationships.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My thinking is like, say you see a celebrity and they start to exhibit behavior that resembles that of a Ne-dom. That person starts to show themselves more and more in media and you follow to keep track and observe them to justify the theory that they are in fact a ENxP. That bond you create when typing them and assuming you know there personality inside out, that is what I'm thinking could lead to parasocial relationships.

I have firmly typed Samuel as an ESFP 7 so you could be correct :p

J. Starke

MBTI Type
entj
Naah, I think typology would be low on the list of causes for this problem

Mole

Permabanned
I know who my friends are. They visit me in hospital. Absolutely no one on the net visits me in hospital. but they do offer parasympathy.

Last edited:

theablekingedgar

Permabanned
i don't see online people as real. it's just words on a screen, so i don't let what they do positively or negatively bother me that much.