• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cancelling and Depression

Mole

Permabanned
Those of us who work in a uniform like McDonald's or all in black in retail, best do our jobs if we are depressed. If we are alive and vital and connecting with others, it is almost impossible to do uniformed work, so depression is a condition of work.

If we meet a person who is alive and vital while we are depressed, it makes us aware of the pain of our depression, so we take offence at the alive and vital. We may say they are offensive and complain to authority to remove them, we ask the authority to do the right thing and cancel them.

This does not cure our depression but it enables us to do our job.

And it is the authority, such as the university, school, or McDonald's, operating together with the complainant, that makes cancelling such a successful political weapon.

Who would have thought free speech would have ended up in the gutter with cancelling.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
if you cancel yourself, you can never be canceled

Mole

Permabanned
Narcissists want to be loved and admired, but if that is not forthcoming, they will settle for control.

In particular they will settle for emotional control, so anything they don't agree with, is critical of them, or is vital and alive, they. find offensive. They only have to make the claim for it to be believed, and the with righteous indignation, the authority cancels the offender.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is the epitome of "almost getting it". Mole would literally be the scholar of our times if he read leftist theory.

Mole

Permabanned
if you cancel yourself, you can never be canceled

Well, chickpea, cancelling yourself seems to be the ultimate in self hatred, the only thing someone deep in depression would think of doing.

The depressed do cancel themselves, depression is lethal leading to suicide, the only relief they get from the pain of depression is to cancel vital, alive, and happy people. I think it is appropriate to call depression evil, particularly as it is used by parents, teachers, our peers, and lovers to control us emotionally.

Mole

Permabanned
Ressentiment seeks to spoil the pleasure and delight of others. Ressentiment can't experience pleasure and delight and finds it offensive in others, and seeks to Cancel their pleasure and delight, and make them feel the same pain and misery of ressentiment.

Taking offence and Cancelling has now been weaponised by ressentiment across the globe, on the net, in universities, in schools, even in McDonald's,

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"ressentiment" is a new word for me. I read your other post where you were discussing the meaning of it in contrast to "resentment".

It struck me, because my first impression is that it could be the opposite of "resentment" if it was "re-sentiment", meaning one experiencing repeatedly a feeling of sentimentality towards a person. It was interesting to me that it means something more extremely negative than "resentment". In a way we do need a word to describe a lingering feeling of positivity towards someone.

Mole

Permabanned
"ressentiment" is a new word for me. I read your other post where you were discussing the meaning of it in contrast to "resentment".

It struck me, because my first impression is that it could be the opposite of "resentment" if it was "re-sentiment", meaning one experiencing repeatedly a feeling of sentimentality towards a person. It was interesting to me that it means something more extremely negative than "resentment". In a way we do need a word to describe a lingering feeling of positivity towards someone.

Yes, Powehi, ressentiment is a word that has been taken into general philosophy by a number of philosophers. We first meet ressentiment in the book, called Ressentiment, by Max Scheler, click Ressentiment (Scheler) - Wikipedia.

Ressentiment is used to explain concealed motivation. The concealment makes it most dangerous. Ressentiment is unconscious, so we try to draw its fangs by making it conscious.

Lark

This is the epitome of "almost getting it". Mole would literally be the scholar of our times if he read leftist theory.

I do think it'd be interesting if he considered more than the usual perspectives that he does.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do think it'd be interesting if he considered more than the usual perspectives that he does.
Actually though, who does? It's rare for someone to change their thinking in any way based on a social exchange, especially online. Over the years most debates go on as exact repetitions of each time various members encounter each other. It's almost like we're a bunch of little robots with predictable positions, tone, and interactions. The main difference is that some people go through meaner phases when they have personal troubles and then they settle down, but the basic ideas and interactions are rather constant in humans. Probably myself as well, although I have had one ongoing evolution of thought over the past few decades, but it wasn't sudden and it was on my own terms. I think that's basically how it works.

Lark

Actually though, who does? It's rare for someone to change their thinking in any way based on a social exchange, especially online. Over the years most debates go on as exact repetitions of each time various members encounter each other. It's almost like we're a bunch of little robots with predictable positions, tone, and interactions. The main difference is that some people go through meaner phases when they have personal troubles and then they settle down, but the basic ideas and interactions are rather constant in humans. Probably myself as well, although I have had one ongoing evolution of thought over the past few decades, but it wasn't sudden and it was on my own terms. I think that's basically how it works.

I give a lot of consideration to the views I dont accept as valid.

Most of the time, when I was more inclined to post much more on political topics, what drove me up the wall was how content people were with pretty one dimensional or blinkered thinking, the kind of easy satisfaction with what struck me as untenably simplistic thinking is something that's always bothered me.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I give a lot of consideration to the views I dont accept as valid.

Most of the time, when I was more inclined to post much more on political topics, what drove me up the wall was how content people were with pretty one dimensional or blinkered thinking, the kind of easy satisfaction with what struck me as untenably simplistic thinking is something that's always bothered me.
It is good you consider different sides, but I perceive you to always hold the same conclusions like other do and having the same debates.

Lark

It is good you consider different sides, but I perceive you to always hold the same conclusions like other do and having the same debates.

Considering different perspectives does not mean that you adopt them.

I can generally tell when someone has considered the alternative point of view and found it unpersuasive and those that have not considered it at all.

- - - Updated - - -

In this thread I'm more interested in whether Mole was suggesting that service sector jobs definitely cause depression or depression is the root cause of cancel culture?

Like is it a criticism of service sector jobs?

Mole

Permabanned
Considering different perspectives does not mean that you adopt them. I can generally tell when someone has considered the alternative point of view and found it unpersuasive and those that have not considered it at all. - - - Updated - - - In this thread I'm more interested in whether Mole was suggesting that service sector jobs definitely cause depression or depression is the root cause of cancel culture? Like is it a criticism of service sector jobs?

The truth is more interesting: I have been cancelled from McDonald's.

Cancelling began in the universities, spread to the schools, and then McDonald's.

Cancelling is a phenomenon of the Left. I know of no cancelling from the Conservatives.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The truth is more interesting: I have been cancelled from McDonald's.

Cancelling began in the universities, spread to the schools, and then McDonald's.

Cancelling is a phenomenon of the Left. I know of no cancelling from the Conservatives.

Did you get banned from McDonalds for soap boxing in the play area ball pit?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mole, conservatives do their own form of cancelling, but it is typically more preemptive and they make less of a show about it, so we notice more when the left cancels

J. Starke

MBTI Type
entj
The first post in this thread made me laugh even though it's not a matter to laugh at.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Considering different perspectives does not mean that you adopt them.

I can generally tell when someone has considered the alternative point of view and found it unpersuasive and those that have not considered it at all.
In responding to you I don't mean to single you out, but out of a growing sense of inevitability for this notion in general, imagine any person online describing themselves differently that what you have just said. People would say they consider other views, but that they are not convincing, and so their personal conclusions are only reinforced by considering the views of others. Who would actually say, "I don't really consider the views of others, because I have personal bias and an ego investment in my conclusions. No one would say it, but it could be true to varying degrees for most people.

I will challenge anyone reading this to consider that a person who actually, honestly, and thoroughly considers multiple perspectives is going to:

1. Be able to state a convincing argument for or against a given topic. They will not readily see the opposing position as absurd, but be able to articulate the merit of opposing views.

2. They will be slower to draw hard conclusions and be in a state of internal ongoing debate about most issues. They will tend to have less personal certitude, less conclusive in general on topics.

3. They would naturally convey respect in debate and point out ways their opponent's position is indeed credible. And if not credible, they would at least express an empathetic understanding of how someone might come to such a conclusion.

How often does that happen online? It's rare. And no, I don't think you or people in general fully consider the views of others on all topics. It would be evident in debate and it is not.

In this thread I'm more interested in whether Mole was suggesting that service sector jobs definitely cause depression or depression is the root cause of cancel culture?

Like is it a criticism of service sector jobs?
I will be interested to see what Mole says about it as well.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking I was posting off-topic until I realized I'm talking about individually based cancel culture. Based on appearances, it seems most people thoroughly consider how stupid views that oppose their own are. Humans cancel the ideas of others when they don't sit right, align with personal bias, personal experience, ego-identity invested in theories, etc.

Debates are often games where people come to the table with a sense of ego-satisfaction of being "Right", and the opposing views "idiotic". Engaging in debate is not for learning and growth but to reinforce ego and enjoy the feeling of other people being uninformed and stupid.

I'm starting to agree with Mole a bit that narcissism is a bit rampant in the world at large.