User Tag List

123 Last

Default Cancelling and Depression

Those of us who work in a uniform like McDonald's or all in black in retail, best do our jobs if we are depressed. If we are alive and vital and connecting with others, it is almost impossible to do uniformed work, so depression is a condition of work.

If we meet a person who is alive and vital while we are depressed, it makes us aware of the pain of our depression, so we take offence at the alive and vital. We may say they are offensive and complain to authority to remove them, we ask the authority to do the right thing and cancel them.

This does not cure our depression but it enables us to do our job.

And it is the authority, such as the university, school, or McDonald's, operating together with the complainant, that makes cancelling such a successful political weapon.

Who would have thought free speech would have ended up in the gutter with cancelling.
    Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

if you cancel yourself, you can never be canceled

Narcissists want to be loved and admired, but if that is not forthcoming, they will settle for control.

In particular they will settle for emotional control, so anything they don't agree with, is critical of them, or is vital and alive, they. find offensive. They only have to make the claim for it to be believed, and the with righteous indignation, the authority cancels the offender.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    285 so/sp

This is the epitome of "almost getting it". Mole would literally be the scholar of our times if he read leftist theory.

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    if you cancel yourself, you can never be canceled
    Well, chickpea, cancelling yourself seems to be the ultimate in self hatred, the only thing someone deep in depression would think of doing.

The depressed do cancel themselves, depression is lethal leading to suicide, the only relief they get from the pain of depression is to cancel vital, alive, and happy people. I think it is appropriate to call depression evil, particularly as it is used by parents, teachers, our peers, and lovers to control us emotionally.
    Likes Powehi, chickpea liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    This is the epitome of "almost getting it". Mole would literally be the scholar of our times if he read leftist theory.
    I am pleased I have almost got it, but alas I read "Das Kapital", when I was 12 years old, click Read Das Kapital Online by Karl Marx and Serge L. Levitsky | Books, and I am a lost cause.

Ressentiment seeks to spoil the pleasure and delight of others. Ressentiment can't experience pleasure and delight and finds it offensive in others, and seeks to Cancel their pleasure and delight, and make them feel the same pain and misery of ressentiment.

Taking offence and Cancelling has now been weaponised by ressentiment across the globe, on the net, in universities, in schools, even in McDonald's,

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

"ressentiment" is a new word for me. I read your other post where you were discussing the meaning of it in contrast to "resentment".

It struck me, because my first impression is that it could be the opposite of "resentment" if it was "re-sentiment", meaning one experiencing repeatedly a feeling of sentimentality towards a person. It was interesting to me that it means something more extremely negative than "resentment". In a way we do need a word to describe a lingering feeling of positivity towards someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Powehi View Post
    "ressentiment" is a new word for me. I read your other post where you were discussing the meaning of it in contrast to "resentment".

It struck me, because my first impression is that it could be the opposite of "resentment" if it was "re-sentiment", meaning one experiencing repeatedly a feeling of sentimentality towards a person. It was interesting to me that it means something more extremely negative than "resentment". In a way we do need a word to describe a lingering feeling of positivity towards someone.

Yes, Powehi, ressentiment is a word that has been taken into general philosophy by a number of philosophers. We first meet ressentiment in the book, called Ressentiment, by Max Scheler, click Ressentiment (Scheler) - Wikipedia.

Ressentiment is used to explain concealed motivation. The concealment makes it most dangerous. Ressentiment is unconscious, so we try to draw its fangs by making it conscious.
    Likes Powehi liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Merced View Post
    I do think it'd be interesting if he considered more than the usual perspectives that he does.