• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Frisson and Music

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Frisson - Wikipedia

Post music that gives you goosebumps. I want to run an experiment to see if the songs/pieces that cause this in others work on myself. If possible, put time stamps for specific moments in songs that give you the tingles/goosebumps so I can compare to my own experience and take notes

As people share music that gives them tingles, chills, goosebumps, random bouts of tears, etc, I will add to the following playlist:

My personal Frisson playlist (still adding to it):

I’ve been off drugs and the sauce for over a week and I’m suddenly experiencing this again with music. It’s better than any chemical high. Waves of chills washing over me, with goosebumps coming at climactic or especially emotional moments in music

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not everyone experiences the goosebumps, according to studies.

I do with a lot of music. And I like a lot of different genres. It happens within most, if not all of them, at some point or another. I can't list all of them, but I'll post some as they come to mind.

Here's an example:

It's a long one, & takes awhile to build. I just like it, I guess. :shrug:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
This one.
Btw, Most of Peter Grundy's Composition kind a "dark one", which by listening to, I can feel inexplicable feeling that I am not usually conscious of when listening to other music composer.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't recall all of the times I got goosebumps, but here are a couple I remember. And I only tend to get them with metal.
The goosebumps tend to fade with multiple listens although I still like the songs.

"Born" by Nevermore during the chorus (1:37)

"Backbone" by Gojira (1:21)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ yes, they fade for me too if a song becomes too familiar. Though sometimes if I don’t listen to it for a while, I can get the goosebumps again. Depends on how many times I’ve heard it overall, how much I remembered or forgot, and General mood

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Examples:

(There are definitely compositional reasons for this happening and common themes in music)

The epitome of this for me is the final twenty seconds of this movement, perhaps the best climax I know of for me, and one of the most glorious pieces I have experienced. But you have to start from the beginning:

Pop/rock/alt examples:

This, starting around 2:30 but best at 3:00+

Pretty much the entire Duality album from start to finish has this effect for me, but this is a powerful example:

In particular beginning around 3:28, Climax begins around 3:59