• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nonverbal Communication

How would you rate your ability to pick up on nonverbal cues?

• Total voters

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, but with them you just probably wouldn't know about it. I can understand it being undesirable, and if I trusted someone I could try to turn it off I guess? Never done that before, it'd be weird, like covering one eye while functioning in daily life...but rude? I don't see it. With me at least, it'd be like telling me I'm rude for using both eyes.
I don't blame you for looking for what you can see and making use of it. I put the onus on myself to limit what others can tell about me, unless I explicitly choose to share it. At least in RL, I am told I do this fairly well. I am more forthcoming here due to the anonymity and lack of RL repercussions of what I share.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I don't blame you for looking for what you can see and making use of it. I put the onus on myself to limit what others can tell about me, unless I explicitly choose to share it. At least in RL, I am told I do this fairly well. I am more forthcoming here due to the anonymity and lack of RL repercussions of what I share.
Understandable, and putting it on yourself is the more reasonable stance.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't understand nonverbal communication. I'm not aware enough to notice the body language of other people. I look people right in the eyes, and unless they're crying, I can't really tell their mood from their eyes. Any facial expression that other people make intimidates me anyway, so I don't think I should bother trying to read it.

Also, if someone is purposely trying to tell me something based on a look or gesture (unless it's the middle finger, which I completely understand and will give right back to them), I don't think I care much. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd rather not sit there and try to analyze what they're saying through their nonverbal communication.

If I give off any "nonverbal communication," it's not on purpose. I've been told that my facial expressions match whatever I'm feeling even though my voice is monotonous, so I guess that's good.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am too hyper aware of nonverbal communication/body language. I also remember reading a study that claimed that those with abusive parents would develop this hyper sensativity to better respond to the behavior and mood of their abusers, to avoid confrontation.

With my own body language, I've been told I am both deadpan and silently expressive. My tone is usually either neutral or extreme. Ive also been told my eyes convey enough emotion and intensity that I could shoot lazer beams out of them. xD

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I am too hyper aware of nonverbal communication/body language. I also remember reading a study that claimed that those with abusive parents would develop this hyper sensativity to better respond to the behavior and mood of their abusers, to avoid confrontation.

With my own body language, I've been told I am both deadpan and silently expressive. My tone is usually either neutral or extreme. Ive also been told my eyes convey enough emotion and intensity that I could shoot lazer beams out of them. xD
Could've written this myself, minus the extreme tone...it's just that I can get a bit bubbly at times and I have more tone and animation then.

Also, I can hide my emotions really well...I even fool myself in pics, looking deadpan and emotionless when really I was depressive...no wonder people in RL don't think my bipolar is that bad...