• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suppose you tortured someone

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
If someone was threatening my family, and I had him hog tied in my living room. Id first clarify why he was angry. Then I would try to amend the situation. I wouldn't even need to torture them, because kindness can turn someone. I would hope we came to an understanding, then let him go. If he still tries to attack my family, I'd shoot him and call the cops.

Ok, just have you met a psychopathic killer with an 80ish IQ before? The reasoning and compassion bit might not work at that point (amped on adrenaline, perhaps experiencing withdrawal from meth etc. - I mean as far as that guy is concerned you're just an annoyance on the way to his goal).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, an interview of Lark

*How do you like being a big troll against someone who's investigating anything?
*Why did you mention drugs? Is that because drugs are an issue for you?
*Why did you approach my family with a baseball bat?

*For the record, this conversation is for play, I do not suggest Lark has done anything to offend me.

And.. for the post post scriptum.. u USA guys really has your ass sore over all the real torturing scandal backslash that has come over you in the past few decades, so you can't help but to be the big whiny social bastard that you are, complaining how all the social niceties you imagine are not realized with a given philosophy. So. Take your sore asses for a 20 year walk. I'm going out of here.

Any drugs I had before joining this conversation are going to be with me as I leave. Thank you.

You have way more issues to handle than someone's drugs.

:popc1:

Well, he didn't take long to break.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, just have you met a psychopathic killer with an 80ish IQ before? The reasoning and compassion bit might not work at that point (amped on adrenaline, perhaps experiencing withdrawal from meth etc. - I mean as far as that guy is concerned you're just an annoyance on the way to his goal).

Realistically speaking, most people are not psychopaths. High probably, but even more a reason to be nice to not trigger a bad episode till the police come.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't believe in adding any more cruelty or hurt in the world, but have encountered the problem of the deeply cruel. There are a few ways I've encountered it in my life including being friends with someone who had a family member tortured to death and listening and supporting them, seeing what it did to their eyes. This topic is also a difficult one for me because it isn't as abstract as it is for young kids talking tough like it's a cartoon or something.

I'll confess to one technique that has occurred to me for dealing with the profoundly cruel and false, people who are sociopathic. Some of these types are extremely non self-reflective and are focused on the external world as a game to manipulate. They are 100% self centered, but ironically lacking in self awareness. I don't believe in adding suffering to the world, but I have wondered what would happen if you put such a person alone in a room with all reflective surfaces so they could only see themselves, and perhaps include a recording or delayed microphone so they only heard their own voice. Impose Self with a complete absence of Other would likely have a significant psychological effect because that is exactly what is out of balance. They could not impose any control onto anything and nothing could be the recipient of their subconscious rage. I don't know if they would confess, but something significant would happen. I have a notion that the universe rebalances itself and that each individual creates their own punishment. Also, there is no one more equipped to hurt oneself than oneself, so placing the cruel in direct confrontation to Self is getting to the core of everything. Perhaps even the truth.

Edit: This is the sort of thing I would consider doing to the people who like to torture the truth out of others. Going meta.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ok the hostage torture scenario isn't inspiring for you. I think this proves that asking about torture is an ineffective way of interrogation? :D What would you then do within the boundaries of the law to interview a relucant person whom you've just captured during their attempt to burn down your house, while you wait for the police to arrive?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ

That is a very good point. Thank you. Indeed I've met angry people with diminished capacity to reason. If I've wanted to get some answers from them before, I've followed this kind guideline:
  1. Do not challenge the person
  2. Talk about what the aggressor has on their agenda
  3. Let them state their demands
  4. Do not side in with the aggressor
  5. Ignore any delusions the aggressor might have
  6. Alert others about the aggressor without provoking him
  7. If absolutely required to guard life and health, offer something which the aggressor wants and which is in your power to give
  8. If you have no physical means to fight, the situation is threatening and there are means of escape, do escape
  9. If threats against health and life have been made and you have the physical means to detain the aggressor, do it, and call authorities