• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why people say nice things

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
The governor there seems pretty smart. The issue is his policies which are problematic.
Floridians in general are just rude, extremely self-centered, entitled, and pushy. The governor...."ehh screw it all, let's just open everything! We set the record for highest 1 day increase in number of cases/deaths in the entire US the other day? Ahh who gives, let's just reopen nursing homes too now!" Yeah, his policies aren't helping.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Floridians in general are just rude, extremely self-centered, entitled, and pushy. The governor...."ehh screw it all, let's just open everything! We set the record for highest 1 day increase in number of cases/deaths in the entire US the other day? Ahh who gives, let's just reopen nursing homes too now!" Yeah, his policies aren't helping.
My point is he isn't a dumb person. He actually seems pretty perceptive. Big issue is aligning with the republican party led by Trump right now which is fucked

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Comments about Floridians being extra-ornery are not completely off-topic, but can we keep political discussion for the politics threads?

Thanks.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
My point is he isn't a dumb person. He actually seems pretty perceptive. Big issue is aligning with the republican party led by Trump right now which is fucked
Yeah, I can't disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Comments about Floridians being extra-ornery are not completely off-topic, but can we keep political discussion for the politics threads?

Thanks.
Yeah, my bad. Sorry.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you're misunderstanding me. I don't mean that, for example, I would lie and pretend the pizza is perfectly done, that I would coddle and treat disrespectfully, but that if it's still not that bad and is edible, there's no point in rehashing that over and over. Much like what you said you'd do. And I would consider your example of giving criticism kind, helpful, and wanted. Worlds away from someone just deciding they should criticize someone harshly about something they don't want negative feedback about, like attacking their character in an unkind, unwarranted, bullying manner.
In situations like this, I also cannot lie or pretend. I won't criticise, and see no point in the other person getting worked up about it, but the most I can muster is something like "Don't worry about it - we can still eat it."

If someone feels the need to give me a compliment, go ahead. The individual is what makes the compliment sincere, imo not the compliment itself.
Should I interpret this as meaning sincerity of intent is enough, without requiring sincerity (accuracy) of content?

I see "false" compliments given out more in moments when others seem to be struggling (ie. a person is struggling on a task and is clearly upset, sometimes another person will affirm them by saying they are a good job in attempts to motivate them to continue trying to complete the task, for example). Or of course, the obvious "wow that's gorgeous" you give to a child when they show you a picture they drew, even if it's just scribbles to encourage them to continue with art or another activity if it interests them, even if you don't actually think the scribbles are gorgeous. Of course, the latter is typically only done when prompted. At work, I had a girl try to use compliments to build comradery with me (mostly physical comments). I am unsure whether they were genuine or not, but it seemed to be socially based and something I haven't come across a lot (and I had no clue how to respond to this either haha).

Personally, I am mostly complimentary when I genuinely think another person has done well at a thing. Even in a motivation sense, I'm more likely to tell a person that they're almost there or point out when they've made progress rather than telling them they did well, though as I mentioned, with performances and child art sort of situations, I will not always be as truthful unless prompted or the person really needs to hear my opinion (ie. if you did awful, I'm not going to tell you you did good. Not sure if this is because I'm an awful liar or out of pity either). In general, I tend to not pay too much mind to the compliments other people give me, primarily because the only compliment I get is that "I'm smart or nice" (and those don't really give me any information to work with/ have always been used in my direction as space fillers or awkward ticks due to people not knowing how to deal with me). In general, praise/affirmation makes me feel almost as uncomfortable as criticism, so I tend to ignore it (or avoid getting most buy unconscious self sabotage I'm told or purposeful aversion of producing/sharing things I think are of poor quality).
This was a very thoughtful post. See, I cannot say "that's gorgeous" to the child with his scribbles. The most I can do is try to encourage by showing interest, for instance, asking him to tell me what his drawing is about. I agree about praising progress to motivate someone. I am often in this position when judging science fair projects. We want to encourage the students to continue to take an interest in science, and that can be a challenge when their project isn't very good. I won't lie - that is bad practice for a judge anyway - and it can be hard to find positive things to say by way of encouragement. Giving (hopefully gentle) pointers on how to improve is much easier.

Coriolis might get complimented more than the average person (just a guess). And the average person would respond to it all with "I'M GREAT AND I KNOW IT BECAUSE EVERYONE SAYS SO!" Then everyone else would say that is an egotistical maniac and I shouldn't have encouraged it, and also, "I take it back! You suuuuuuuck!"

But we got a thread because it is Coriolis (just another guess).
I don't think I get complimented more than most people. I also don't usually see such an egotistical response from people when they are complimented. If anything, they will try to brush off the compliment somehow, or deny that it is warranted.

I see it as a rather valid and reasonable question. I think [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] is just thinking and analyzing deeper than the average person who basically just assumes they understand things and moves on. Often times, when people think something is very plain or obvious, they're actually just oversimplifying concepts.
Well, I prefer not to make assumptions, or at least to question them when I recognize them. I had assumed people say nice things to others when they genuinely mean it and have something truthful and accurate to say. That has been questioned recently, leading me to ask.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here is another context for saying 'nice' things. Some scenarios set a different baseline, so that not saying something positive conveys a different meaning. When I conduct a student recital and there are several people performing, there is overall a sincere effort on the part of the students to work hard and do well, but each student is different. Some people work hard, but make a lot of mistakes, some didn't practice that much, but play a familiar piece and do well, and generally hard work and level of performance correlate. Still, when I introduce the students or complete the program, I say everyone worked hard and did a good job. I couldn't be absolutely honest and say, "Everyone worked hard except for Johnny and Suzy." It also implies my expectation because I wasn't at their house counting hours. By saying it positive I am showing that it is required and so I am assuming they worked hard. Afterwards there are moments where I need to say something positive to each person or they will likely feel unduly hurt as though more extremely negative things were said.

When in a state of vulnerability or social focus, people become more sensitive to feedback, so the same words can mean something different. During lessons I have to point out errors and areas that need to be worked on, but after a performance I don't focus on that, or at least not until the next lesson.

I also have a philosophy that people become what they focus on, so it's preferable as a teacher to point out when the hand position is correct than every time it isn't. You have to do both, but there is a way of emphasizing the positive that provides encouragement. If you imagine the feeling of being nagged about holding your hands wrong, vs. someone exclaiming, "Yes, you are doing it exactly right! Now remember how that feels in your hands when you hold them at that angle". The second way focuses on saying the nice or positive thing because it internalizes what's correct instead of what is wrong. The same notion can be applied to responding to behaviors or anything.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]

Bosses compliment to feel empowered in their role- positive reinforcement being a behavior shaping tool for their employees, and customer compliments on work typically fall under polite expectation in regards to the somewhat scripted conversation that follows the closing dialogue/appraisal on a particular job.

Its been a long time since I've had a boss, but I will say that I do enjoy it when people empower themselves to their neighbors via recommending our services to them, as that is our only source of new buisness. We don't advertise at all and do quality craftsmanship at low rates (thanks to the no-advertising low overhead), so it serves us to be treated like valuable possession to impress ones friends with.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I knew a lady, an ESFP I think, who was very cheerful and gave a lot of detailed, specific compliments. She complimented me on this shade of my skin once. I admired her for always bringing sunshine. I think she enjoyed feeling excited and seeing positive things, making people feel good. My mother was like that too and I have been sometimes, but got some weird results once, so I've backed off a bit. It can feel good in the moment. That mentality is not, 'what traits or actions truly deserve merit among all possible traits or actions" in a judgment/evaluative sort of way, but more "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good?".

I think I understand you. You raise an interesting distinction, between the sentiment being genuine and the substance of the compliment being genuine, i.e. accurate content. I guess I try to offer both when I compliment someone, and prefer to see both when I am complimented. I would rather receive something genuine on both levels, or nothing at all.

Powehi's post helps me expound on earlier thoughts here.

The extent to which people tend to reach out to have an impact on and/or need to feel some kind of immediate connect to those in their immediate environment varies wildly from person to person, and I think it's probably more accurate to say compliments where "the sentiment is genuine" (with less focus on accuracy) is simply because someone is prioritizing immediate connection to others (and "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good" can make the connection benevolent).

I personally am pretty far on the "don't need to immediately connect with those in immediate environment" end of the spectrum (so much that I think "need for others to not feel constantly connected to me" is one of my stronger needs). As such, I can be really sensitive to whether someone is focusing on "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good" for the sake of itself, as means to satisfy the need to interact with/connect to others *or* if they're focusing on it to satisfy some attachment to be seen by others in this light. If someone is focusing on "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good" for the sake of itself, then they are less likely to take my need for space as a personal affront; that's generally what I'd consider coming from a place of authentic kindness (and the extent to which they are able to grant me the space without *needing* some specific reaction from me is generally the extent to which I consider their kindness authentic). But the latter - if they're focusing on "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good?" more for identity reasons (wanting to be seen/known as someone who focuses on that), then they're likely (probably not even on a conscious level) to 'need' some kind of reaction from me to validate their self-worth and/or feelings, and that feels more like a veneer of kindness than authentic kindness; if someone is only being kind for the reflection they get back, that's garden variety narcissism (not NPD caliber, but the kind most people experience). Authentic kindness takes a lot of emotional competence (cultivating awareness of one's own feelings and needs to such a level where a person doesn't ever blame others for what they're feeling). And it's not like anyone is exclusively one or the other (even Buddhist monks - who practice cultivating emotional competence literally every day - know that 'emotional competence' isn't some kind of plateau that can be reached where a person reaches a magical level of eternal imperviousness so much as it's a fallible muscle that can quickly atrophy if it isn't used), but individuals are pretty consistently seated in one general place on the spectrum.

Or really, sometimes my need for space is taken for a personal affront simply because someone doesn't understand not immediately needing to connect to others in one's environment - it might not intrinsically be part of their identity, to be seen as someone who constantly looks for "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good", but they might need others to acknowledge their presence (and assume others need that same thing) and they take the "what in this moment or person is beautiful and good" approach to establish connection. But that still circles back around to emotional competence (and knowing one's needs well enough to take responsibility for them without blaming others for how it feels when the need isn't being fulfilled).

In sum, the tendency to say nice things (and generally be a "what in this moment or person is beautiful and good" kind of person) without sufficient emotional competence is as dangerous a mix as cheeseburgers and loneliness.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In situations like this, I also cannot lie or pretend. I won't criticise, and see no point in the other person getting worked up about it, but the most I can muster is something like "Don't worry about it - we can still eat it."

I think there might be a misunderstand due to tone... for instance, a person can say that same thing, but in very different ways. They could say it smiling, reassuring, honestly, or they could sigh and be visually annoyed, say it in a snotty tone of voice, and the sigh throughout the entire dinner. But maybe that's getting us off topic.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Powehi's post helps me expound on earlier thoughts here.

The extent to which people tend to reach out to have an impact on and/or need to feel some kind of immediate connect to those in their immediate environment varies wildly from person to person, and I think it's probably more accurate to say compliments where "the sentiment is genuine" (with less focus on accuracy) is simply because someone is prioritizing immediate connection to others (and "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good" can make the connection benevolent).

I personally am pretty far on the "don't need to immediately connect with those in immediate environment" end of the spectrum (so much that I think "need for others to not feel constantly connected to me" is one of my stronger needs). As such, I can be really sensitive to whether someone is focusing on "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good" for the sake of itself, as means to satisfy the need to interact with/connect to others *or* if they're focusing on it to satisfy some attachment to be seen by others in this light. If someone is focusing on "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good" for the sake of itself, then they are less likely to take my need for space as a personal affront; that's generally what I'd consider coming from a place of authentic kindness (and the extent to which they are able to grant me the space without *needing* some specific reaction from me is generally the extent to which I consider their kindness authentic). But the latter - if they're focusing on "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good?" more for identity reasons (wanting to be seen/known as someone who focuses on that), then they're likely (probably not even on a conscious level) to 'need' some kind of reaction from me to validate their self-worth and/or feelings, and that feels more like a veneer of kindness than authentic kindness; if someone is only being kind for the reflection they get back, that's garden variety narcissism (not NPD caliber, but the kind most people experience). Authentic kindness takes a lot of emotional competence (cultivating awareness of one's own feelings and needs to such a level where a person doesn't ever blame others for what they're feeling). And it's not like anyone is exclusively one or the other (even Buddhist monks - who practice cultivating emotional competence literally every day - know that 'emotional competence' isn't some kind of plateau that can be reached where a person reaches a magical level of eternal imperviousness so much as it's a fallible muscle that can quickly atrophy if it isn't used), but individuals are pretty consistently seated in one general place on the spectrum.

Or really, sometimes my need for space is taken for a personal affront simply because someone doesn't understand not immediately needing to connect to others in one's environment - it might not intrinsically be part of their identity, to be seen as someone who constantly looks for "what in this moment or person is beautiful or good", but they might need others to acknowledge their presence (and assume others need that same thing) and they take the "what in this moment or person is beautiful and good" approach to establish connection. But that still circles back around to emotional competence (and knowing one's needs well enough to take responsibility for them without blaming others for how it feels when the need isn't being fulfilled).

In sum, the tendency to say nice things (and generally be a "what in this moment or person is beautiful and good" kind of person) without sufficient emotional competence is as dangerous a mix as cheeseburgers and loneliness.
I largely agree with this, especially the bold, but can you elaborate on how you're defining 'emotional competence?'

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I largely agree with this, especially the bold, but can you elaborate on how you're defining 'emotional competence?'

I like Gabor Maté's explanation:

Emotional competence is the capacity that enables us to stand in a responsible, non-victimized, and non-self-harming relationship with our environment. It is the required internal ground for facing life's inevitable stresses, for avoiding the creation of unnecessary ones and for furthering the healing process. Few of us reach the adult age with anything close to full emotional competence. Recognizing our lack of it is not cause for self-judgment, only a call for further development and transformation.

While it's not a well known phrase, googling it should provide enough explanations to give a well rounded understanding (if the Maté quote doesn't suffice).

Pioneer

Obviously people can say nice things for a variety of reasons, flattery, fakeness, manipulation, or what I find is usually the case - they just are kind and mean it.

I don't think it makes much sense to look into people's motives every time you get a compliment or kind thing said to you - it sounds like a paranoid response to be honest. The exception might be if you notice a pattern of flattery/fakeness in the person's communication, but you probably won't pick up on it right away. I usually observe whether people are consistent especially wrt to how their actions match up with their words.

Also, if someone is constantly giving you positive feedback, there is something wrong. Yoy can trust a friend who corrects you openly. Which isn't the same thing as attacks on character or tearing you down. But correction and criticism, so long as its constructive always makes me think the person is honest with me. Obviously constantly being criticized or contradicted isn't what you seek you relationships for either, but even in the case of someone constantly criticizing you, you at least know there is a problem, it's just that its systematic and a solution is not being found or even sought out.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Also, if someone is constantly giving you positive feedback, there is something wrong. Yoy can trust a friend who corrects you openly. Which isn't the same thing as attacks on character or tearing you down. But correction and criticism, so long as its constructive always makes me think the person is honest with me. Obviously constantly being criticized or contradicted isn't what you seek you relationships for either, but even in the case of someone constantly criticizing you, you at least know there is a problem, it's just that its systematic and a solution is not being found or even sought out.
It's easy to disguise abuse as constructive criticism though. It seems more trustworthy because it's easier to believe, but really, that's part of the danger of it, too: you believe it...when actually, you could be perfectly fine. It's very easy for it to lead to a psychological "scarring" or a pattern of constantly picking apart your flaws and striving for a goal of perfection that you'll always perpetually fall short of. It can lead to feelings of inadequacy, or "not being good enough" regardless of how hard you try. It can lead to feelings of inferiority, particularly in relation to the person offering "constructive criticism" (which it may not actually be despite being disguised as such, and even if it genuinely is, it can still be toxic when it's excessive...and whether it's excessive probably varies according to the individual). Often times, those corrections are actually just subjective preferences, also, and it's simply that the person isn't allowing you to be yourself because they personally prefer that you're some other way they like more instead.

Furthermore, constructive criticism that you mention here is essentially a form of negative reinforcement. People can give positive reinforcement corrections as well though, which saying nice things would be one possible component of / tool in. This is how cats are trained, actually, and negative reinforcement doesn't work on them the way it does on dogs. Despite this, the positive reinforcement is how you can train them to stop doing negative behaviors. I honestly think a lot of people work this way as well...some responding better to positive reinforcement, that is. I also think each of them may be more appropriate, effective, or suitable, depending upon the situation. For instance, you wouldn't use negative reinforcement / constructive criticism when people are being uncomfortably tense and awkward guests at a dinner party.

The danger of constructive criticism is that 1) it's difficult to tell what exactly is "too much" or "constant," (as "constant" may be one thing to person A, and another to person B, another to C, and so forth; it's subjectively defined, typically by the person's internal affective response, and a lot of people won't stand firmly on those boundaries, especially if accused of being obstinate or defensive or something by doing this) and 2) the other danger of it is that someone's honesty is easily mistaken for the truth, and a person who honestly believes it is such and gives a lot of constructive criticism may revisit the accusation and even make more 'constructive criticism' comments about the fact that the person does not receive it as truth. If the person caves or ends up believing it, there is the risk of both leaning on this person's judgment too much (at the expense of independence) and/or conforming to someone's subjective standards, values, and so forth.

By the way, this is a tactic that can often be seen being employed by narcissists who see you as an extension of themselves and mold you to their expectations, standards, values, views, etc. Just because someone is being "honest" (saying something they believe is true) doesn't mean they're more trustworthy, and if it's constant then it's definitely--not just a red flag, but a red banner, honestly. Similarly, just because someone uses a lot of positive feedback instead, doesn't mean they're not encouraging changes in the same way as the individual(s) giving constructive criticism.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also notice that issue of people offering constructive criticism that is basically, "You are doing it wrong. Do this the way I do and then you will be doing it right." The assumption that one's own critique is the objective Truth can be an arrogance and also not true at all.

A good example happens to people who experience chronic pain that is difficult to diagnose. I have experienced some, but have a family member with extreme physical pain issues that cause significant symptoms. Throughout her life people always take in five minutes of info about her life, and they have the answer. "It's strawberries. Stop eating strawberries and you'll be fine. I had headaches myself until I stopped eating strawberries". "Oh I know, you are allergic to cats. I found out I am allergic to cats, so that's your problem too". "Oh, it's all in your mind. My aunt was a hypochondriac, so that's your problem too". For some reason I've heard lots of people tell others that they have the same problem. It's almost goofy.

When someone has something off in their life, they have been investing hundreds, thousands of hours researching and trying to solve the issue. When a stranger comes along, hears a five minute fragment, and has some "constructive criticism" to solve the problem, it is an act of absurdity.

I suppose the same thing can happen with compliments. People can compliment someone for a skill or something that they personally value, but it is offered as an "objective compliment". Although, I think off-the-mark compliments are generally less destructive than the criticisms, although a person could probably make an interesting case to show a way it was harmful like someone being encouraged into a career that they are not able to do correctly.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I got behind in replying again - my apologies. First, I wanted to note that my OP was not limited to compliments, but "nice things" more generally. Statements like, "I'm glad you were able to join us", "Thank you for sharing that", or "I'm sure it wasn't your fault" would count also, even though they aren't compliments. Discussion of compliments is certainly on-topic, though, and probably represents the bulk of the nice things people say to each other.

Second, I will note that the focus was on why people say these things, rather than how they receive them from others. Again, I don't consider the latter off-topic, and sometimes the two are linked. It has been interesting to read about both sides from those members who have addressed both.

My answer will change a little with this addition.

I've been told that I can be a bit 'host-like' in real life. I do say things such as the bolded- even minor 'feedback' like that seems to put people at ease. In real life, I can be stiff/cold/stern to the point of being intimidating (as a default), and adding simple little things like that I notice really lets people ease themselves and converse, speak up more easily. People also comment on it- they will comment on how dry or scary (etc) I seemed, but that I was 'surprisingly nice and polite', which allowed them to relax.

Why do I do this? It's a very fair and easy middle ground of not being entirely off-putting to everybody without expending so much social energy from myself, that I can sustain.

I will specify further however, notice that I bolded only two out of your three sentences. I can only speak for myself- things such as, "I'm sure it wasn't your fault," "I'm sure he meant well," "I'm sure she isn't mad at you," "I'm sure the XYZ will turn out well," are things I don't say, unless I have basis for it. I'm more likely to say something like: "You have worked diligently on this and practiced well. You have a good chance of succeeding," "Remember the things you have revised. You have prepared much- it will serve you well,"

I can't sacrifice accuracy in my speech, and when I receive such things from other people my response is generally, "You can't know that," When I tell someone I am glad they have arrived, or that they did something I appreciate, etc- as clinically and as deadpan as I say it, I mean it.

I did. You identified broad categories of compliments that you would reject/ignore, so I was trying to figure out what was left. Looks like feedback-style compliments from people with the expertise to assess the quality of what you have done.

Did you mean I hadn't included these, or that this was all I had included?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I really dislike the idea of obligated kindness- either through social expectation or internal "get me into heaven" morality. Probably I just dislike the idea of obligation as motivation at all. I think it yields inferior products, and has negative side effects; micro resentments and frustrations that accrue into depression lack of agency and self obliviousness over time.

I ultimately end up concerned about the mental health of people who are constantly throwing scripted compliments around. People who say little, express gratitude and admiration in their own ways for their own reasons, I worry about less.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I also notice that issue of people offering constructive criticism that is basically, "You are doing it wrong. Do this the way I do and then you will be doing it right." The assumption that one's own critique is the objective Truth can be an arrogance and also not true at all.

[...]

I suppose the same thing can happen with compliments. People can compliment someone for a skill or something that they personally value, but it is offered as an "objective compliment". Although, I think off-the-mark compliments are generally less destructive than the criticisms, although a person could probably make an interesting case to show a way it was harmful like someone being encouraged into a career that they are not able to do correctly.

This is a very interesting post. I have had people like this in my life, which is part of what leads me to being very iffy when receiving comments (both ways- compliments, or criticism). I have found that a workaround for that in terms of compliments are things I posted before in this thread.

For criticism, I try not do it unwarranted- this makes sure that the comments really are something that the individual is working for or that they actually want. I can comment on how amazing they will be if they took up architecture perhaps, and even if it may be true- it's useless if it's not something that they are looking for. Some people are more susceptible to this than others, however- to subtle compliments that really are given with the intention of molding / steering the person the direction you want. This is a part of why unwarranted comments that can't be explained I tend to toss aside.

Most importantly however; if I do comment (compliment or criticism) I try explain it and tie it to something they are actually doing. It's part of what makes it (or what drives it to being) 'objective'- it's more of an assessment if anything. "If you study well, you may get good grades," "If you control and process your anger before conversing with your friend, the conversation will likely go better,"- I'm more likely to say those things than standalone comments like, "You study very little- you're uneducated," or "You're very belligerent and unpleasant,"- in my mind, these things aren't helpful and are more likely to be, and be perceived as an attack on the person's character rather than a compliment or comment on their capabilities.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

This is a great post.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bosses compliment to feel empowered in their role- positive reinforcement being a behavior shaping tool for their employees, and customer compliments on work typically fall under polite expectation in regards to the somewhat scripted conversation that follows the closing dialogue/appraisal on a particular job.
I do see plenty of this sort of thing, and don't have much patience for scripted interactions unless of a barebones utilitarian nature. Specifics can be helpful in making even these interactions productive, as they can be cross-checked with other sources of information for accuracy and utility. Compliments, or more to the point, positive feedback, that goes beyond the bounds of these scripted interactions is especially meaningful.

The highlighted is an important distinction, and you explain it very clearly. Do you find it easy to tell which motivation is prompting someone to say something nice? I primarily think of compliments or "nice things" as gifts, given without strings or expectation of getting anything back. I know not everyone has that attitude, and some of the posts in this thread have done well in elucidating the different motivations behind them and what people hope to gain, consciously or not.

I think there might be a misunderstand due to tone... for instance, a person can say that same thing, but in very different ways. They could say it smiling, reassuring, honestly, or they could sigh and be visually annoyed, say it in a snotty tone of voice, and the sigh throughout the entire dinner. But maybe that's getting us off topic.
It's not off topic to the extent that it relates to how compliments/nice comments are received. I needn't try hard to imagine the disappointment or frustration of someone who offered a compliment or nice comment in earnest, only to have it fall short of the mark due to this sort of misunderstanding. I can't guarantee I am not guilty of this sometimes, but without feedback, I might never know.

Obviously people can say nice things for a variety of reasons, flattery, fakeness, manipulation, or what I find is usually the case - they just are kind and mean it.
I always assumed this last, or at least assumed that it was the primary motivation in social interactions (that is, excluding business, sales, etc. where there is some obvious material gain). This thread was inspired by my interactions with a friend who often writes off compliments as "they're just trying to be nice". To which I reply, "Sure, but that doesn't mean the compliment is untrue. No need to lie. It is too easy to say nothing."

I don't think it makes much sense to look into people's motives every time you get a compliment or kind thing said to you - it sounds like a paranoid response to be honest. The exception might be if you notice a pattern of flattery/fakeness in the person's communication, but you probably won't pick up on it right away. I usually observe whether people are consistent especially wrt to how their actions match up with their words.

Yes, a real friend will be honest with feedback, whether positive or negative, and will accept the same from you. This is extremely valuable, as a friend likely knows you well enough to offer detailed and constructive input.

It's easy to disguise abuse as constructive criticism though. It seems more trustworthy because it's easier to believe, but really, that's part of the danger of it, too: you believe it...when actually, you could be perfectly fine. It's very easy for it to lead to a psychological "scarring" or a pattern of constantly picking apart your flaws and striving for a goal of perfection that you'll always perpetually fall short of. It can lead to feelings of inadequacy, or "not being good enough" regardless of how hard you try. It can lead to feelings of inferiority, particularly in relation to the person offering "constructive criticism" (which it may not actually be despite being disguised as such, and even if it genuinely is, it can still be toxic when it's excessive...and whether it's excessive probably varies according to the individual). Often times, those corrections are actually just subjective preferences, also, and it's simply that the person isn't allowing you to be yourself because they personally prefer that you're some other way they like more instead.

Furthermore, constructive criticism that you mention here is essentially a form of negative reinforcement. People can give positive reinforcement corrections as well though, which saying nice things would be one possible component of / tool in. This is how cats are trained, actually, and negative reinforcement doesn't work on them the way it does on dogs. Despite this, the positive reinforcement is how you can train them to stop doing negative behaviors. I honestly think a lot of people work this way as well...some responding better to positive reinforcement, that is. I also think each of them may be more appropriate, effective, or suitable, depending upon the situation. For instance, you wouldn't use negative reinforcement / constructive criticism when people are being uncomfortably tense and awkward guests at a dinner party.
Just another version of the carrot and stick technique. People may find the carrots more pleasant, but as you and others say here they can be even more effective in shaping the behavior of others, even when not in their own best interests. This is why it is always important to consider the content of compliments as well as criticism carefully, and cross-check it with other feedback, what you know about yourself, and what is important to you. This can be especially difficult in abusive situations where a person is often cut off from this other input in various ways.

I've been told that I can be a bit 'host-like' in real life. I do say things such as the bolded- even minor 'feedback' like that seems to put people at ease. In real life, I can be stiff/cold/stern to the point of being intimidating (as a default), and adding simple little things like that I notice really lets people ease themselves and converse, speak up more easily. People also comment on it- they will comment on how dry or scary (etc) I seemed, but that I was 'surprisingly nice and polite', which allowed them to relax.

Why do I do this? It's a very fair and easy middle ground of not being entirely off-putting to everybody without expending so much social energy from myself, that I can sustain.
This is interesting, and puts some specifics on advice I have been given, albeit in a generalized form (e.g. part of leadership training at work) vs. being told individually based on my own demeanor. That advice was to make an effort to be socially warm, to avoid appearing intimidating or stand-offish. Of course, that begs the question of what constitutes "socially warm". Yes, I really do ask dumb questions like that, and I really do listen to the answers. This sort of thing comes naturally to some people, but can be learned by anyone with the desire to do so. I have also found that common courtesy, even formal politeness, can be a good way to maintain social distance without coming across as rude.

I will specify further however, notice that I bolded only two out of your three sentences. I can only speak for myself- things such as, "I'm sure it wasn't your fault," "I'm sure he meant well," "I'm sure she isn't mad at you," "I'm sure the XYZ will turn out well," are things I don't say, unless I have basis for it. I'm more likely to say something like: "You have worked diligently on this and practiced well. You have a good chance of succeeding," "Remember the things you have revised. You have prepared much- it will serve you well,"

I can't sacrifice accuracy in my speech, and when I receive such things from other people my response is generally, "You can't know that," When I tell someone I am glad they have arrived, or that they did something I appreciate, etc- as clinically and as deadpan as I say it, I mean it.
Well, there are no guarantees in life. I do try to back up any statements like the highlighted with reasons, at least, so the other person knows I am not saying it "just to be nice". I can easily be wrong, but I can also usually assign a reasonable confidence level to my assessments.

Adding even more specifics so that it makes more sense and you will have context, I know many people have seen me be very jolly on discord, and some have seen my upbeat presence / manner of speech in discord vc. That is specifically in my 'interacting / socializing' mode. I'm not always like that, and people who catch me out of it (which what the vast majority of people in real life do) will just see a very formal, even standoffish person- a lot of people have difficulty approaching me initially, thus the need to take on ways of combating that that I can sustain- I consider being cordial and polite a fair thing to expect to be able to do, especially because it doesn't demand much of me in terms of energy.
As I mentioned above and as I experience myself, politeness and cordiality work in one's favor on two levels. It is commendable that you are aware of this, and willing to adjust your "default" interaction style to achieve more optimal results for all involved.

Did you mean I hadn't included these, or that this was all I had included?
I meant that your previous remarks excluded pretty much everything but this.

Most importantly however; if I do comment (compliment or criticism) I try explain it and tie it to something they are actually doing. It's part of what makes it (or what drives it to being) 'objective'- it's more of an assessment if anything. "If you study well, you may get good grades," "If you control and process your anger before conversing with your friend, the conversation will likely go better,"- I'm more likely to say those things than standalone comments like, "You study very little- you're uneducated," or "You're very belligerent and unpleasant,"- in my mind, these things aren't helpful and are more likely to be, and be perceived as an attack on the person's character rather than a compliment or comment on their capabilities.
Exactly. Comments like that, even if accurate, don't give the other person much to work with. As you say, it is best to tie the comment to something they are actually doing, and explain as clearly as you can what they are doing right or wrong. It can be very frustrating to receive criticism that does not include an explanation, especially if it pertains to something one is really struggling to improve at. That is no better than a complaint, and often worse.

Finally, writing this reply gave me another relevant thought. Yes, my initial reaction, as to other posts here, was "I like this post", but I would not say so in those words. Why? because it seems to be an empty comment. I instead skip to the reasons why I like the post, and explain that instead. I've been told sometimes that obscures the complimentary nature of the comment.

Last edited:

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is interesting, and puts some specifics on advice I have been given, albeit in a generalized form (e.g. part of leadership training at work) vs. being told individually based on my own demeanor. That advice was to make an effort to be socially warm, to avoid appearing intimidating or stand-offish. Of course, that begs the question of what constitutes "socially warm". Yes, I really do ask dumb questions like that, and I really do listen to the answers. This sort of thing comes naturally to some people, but can be learned by anyone with the desire to do so. I have also found that common courtesy, even formal politeness, can be a good way to maintain social distance without coming across as rude.

Socially warm appears to be ... whatever is shown with positive affect. Smiles, open gestures (instead of being stiff and crossing your arms in the corner of the room), welcoming. That goes beyond what I can sustain, so yes, being polite and courteous is a manageable middle ground compromise.

Yes to the bolded! People generally treat me with an equal amount of respect and politeness back and they can't say anything, just mutter that I'm distant. I don't mind that.

Finally, writing this reply gave me another relevant thought. Yes, my initial reaction, as to other posts here, was "I like this post", but I would not say so in those words. Why? because it seems to be an empty comment. I instead skip to the reasons why I like the post, and explain that instead. I've been told sometimes that obscures the complimentary nature of the comment.

I can be a bit similar, but I have found out that sometimes some types of people really need blatant shows of social warmth / validation / that they're being accepted, otherwise, they cannot see it, or consider that it doesn't count. The bolded also happens due to my rl lack of affect- some have wondered if I was being serious when I said something. At worst, it can even mistakenly come across as being critical in a stifling way, even if I was saying positive things.

Some people advise to say a nice thing / open words of compliment along with your criticism / comment, but I tend to really... Really hate scripting things that way. I can reword the things I had originally intended to say or go the extra mile and offer reassurance that I'm not angry or whatever it is, but including things I hadn't previously thought of just to make it palatable is pushing it for me.