• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

are your type-related "harmless jokes" really as funny as you think?

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I wasn't taking a shot at you, Chris. My apologies if it was read this way. Instead, I was trying to communicate that the OPost was clearly misinterpreted by more than a few people--and things were made much more clear after an initial misinterpretation.

'Twas trying to be lighthearted with saying, "miscommunication occurred--read further if you're going to join our friendly discussion."

:)

You are very good at making me look like a total ass you know that? :blush:

Usehername

On a mission
That better not be directed at me :D

Here, stand on this and then repeat what you just said. :happy:

soap_box3.JPEG

All I was saying is that when people spew the same thing at you over and over it wastes your life--sarah wants people to either come up with new jokes or stop repping her things she's heard 10 billion times as an SF on a board filled with NTs.

! :D !

And I fell off your damn soap. It was slippery.

Usehername

On a mission
You are very good at making me look like a total ass you know that? :blush:

:hug: We've all been there from time to time. By its very nature a forum has this sort of miscommunication.
Anyone who hasn't done the same reads with a scary level of intensity and detail! :horor:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ah and to that conclusion you came after my post right now ?

Thats frustrating :D

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
All I was saying is that when people spew the same thing at you over and over it wastes your life--sarah wants people to either come up with new jokes or stop repping her things she's heard 10 billion times as an SF on a board filled with NTs.

! :D !

And I fell off your damn soap. It was slippery.

lol, I know what you were saying, I was just being a lighthearted ass. :hug:

Usehername

On a mission
Ah and to that conclusion you came after my post right now ?

Thats frustrating :D

Who's "you"?

If you were talkin' to me, I was in the busy-ness of ah'exercisin' mah NFJ skillz. :jesus: <rolls up sleeves to now get back to being an NT for an academic paper due at midnight that needs another 1500 or so words and an entire clean-up>

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Who's "you"?

If you were talkin' to me, I was in the busy-ness of ah'exercisin' mah NFJ skillz. :jesus: <rolls up sleeves to now get back to being an NT for an academic paper due at midnight that needs another 1500 or so words and an entire clean-up>

on a side note, what is your paper about?

/threadjack

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Omfg, I have a paper to work on too. I was trying to mentally block that from my brain.. :cry:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Who's "you"?

have fun :)

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
<begin threadjack again>

lol, I was asking cuz I gotta finish my med school personal statement, but I can't even get started . . .

</threadjack>

Usehername

On a mission
on a side note, what is your paper about?

/threadjack

How the education system isn't meeting needs of the new and evolved work world or keeping up to educational research regarding the best ways to educate and evaluate knowledge. (It's off of this quote, "Our school system was invented in teh late 1800s [Canada], and little has changed. Can you imagine if the medical profession ran this way?" Linda Darling-Hammond.)

Luckily it's only a rough draft worth 10% of our grade to do class editing, but it's my first academic paper that we have to submit to a journal and stuff when we're done. The rough draft so far has good ideas but is nowhere near enough supported with research (which I know exists but I haven't put in my paper yet).

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Agreed. And I think a lot of it comes down to Sarah wanting more understanding for her type, while not really understanding that other types might have a different sense of humor than she does, and might not mean to be offensive at all.

Sarah, you seem like a very smart, very interesting person, but I can't help but notice how much of the time you spend on this board fighting for Sensor Rights, instead of just participating in the threads for fun.

You're one of the many, many INTPs on this list, Tallulah? Do you get insulting personal comments sent to you (or read insulting comments posted) almost every day you log in regarding your type preferences? No? I thought not. Since you say you've seen the sort of stuff I post, then you must know that I do not go around only preaching about "Sensor rights". It seems to me that the people who are telling me I'm too sensitive are all people who have popular type codes, and thus have a huge base of support to lean on. No wonder the lame insults feels a lot less annoying when they're directed your way.

I might feel like participating in more discussions if I felt this list were less about people making fun of each other's type codes and/or whining about how much they can't stand everyone of certain type codes. Yes, I do dislike pointless, lame insults posted for no other reason than that it amuses the person dishing it out, and I can't help feeling negatively towards the people who do that. I really wish they'd stop using type as a weapon and started using it more positively. If the insults they posted actually helped people grow and mature, that would be a great thing, but I don't see an awful lot of constructive criticism -- much less the witty variety.

Sarah

heart

heart on fire
Do you get insulting personal comments sent to you (or read insulting comments posted) almost every day you log in regarding your type preferences?

I get such comments frequently, uh Fi isn't exactly everyone's personal favorite nor is INFP... and I agreed with her, so am not sure your counterpoint really invalidates her opinion.

Usehername

On a mission
I get such comments frequently, uh Fi isn't exactly everyone's personal favorite nor is INFP... and I agreed with her, so am not sure this really invalidates her opinion.

IMO, there is a distinct stereotype difference between the NFP and the SFP on the 'net.

Just saying.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Could everyone please divert your isfp insults, stereotypes and jokes over to me? I would be very interested in them. Let me have it! :)

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I get such comments frequently, uh Fi isn't exactly everyone's personal favorite nor is INFP... and I agreed with her, so am not sure your counterpoint really invalidates her opinion.

Yes, I definitely love it when Blue Wing rants about how INFPs are the most illogical and worst type for deep relationships... Ah he is a funny chap.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just saw this thread.

It's interesting to see how the responses have tended to fall among typical "typelines."

I appreciate seeing the discusson that is occurring. I think it's good when people actually listening and try to empathize with how the "other side" might be experiencing and viewing the situation; and along those lines, I'd encourage people not to bail out of frustration, but to continue to represent their side well... as long as you're doing the first part -- i.e., listening.

My two cents?

I can laugh at some pretty hard things that I know some people can't. I usually take into account the person making the jokes and what their intentions probably were. I don't like it when people have trouble keeping that in perspective and can never seem to "take a joke."

At the same time, I'd get really ticked off if I kept getting the same unoriginal joke(s) directed at me time and time again by people trying to be cute... especially if I was the minority, and super-especially if I was a minority that people seemed to have negative feelings towards to start with. It gets old, trust me. It really does, regardless of what type or gender or age or social group you belong to. These are jokes being directed at shaming personal identity, not just general jokes being made; so yes, they are soon enough taken personally.

The goal of this particular forum is to encourage participation between different types of people, not undermine it, and the community can only benefit from that. If you really really hate that idea, there are some other forums that focus on one particular type where you can probably say things in ways you enjoy and not have to worry about being misunderstood.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
To Sarah

Ok, time for me to be serious. First off, I totally understand your side of the story and I also understand the other side (maybe because I am part of them). I think the best option is to be frank and honest with a person about your preferences. My normal mode of conversation is lighthearted and fun loving, but with a few people who I know personally, I show a totally different side of myself that they prefer. On the internet, it is hard to know the preferences of the person you are talking too right away (or who might read your comments) unless you are specifically told, so you end up saying what amuses you.

My advice would be to specifically share your concerns with the person bothering you (I know it might be a lot of people) but if they are mature, they will accept/analyze the given concern. If they still do not respect your wishes, then as jaerae said, put them on the ignore list. I personally can not think of another way other than specifically pointing out what bothers you to the specific person to solve such a thing. Other than that, I think things will continue as always, but I do appreciate what you are trying to do and I really do feel you. Good luck with it.