User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 14

  1. #1
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,356

    Default Might I be stupid because I can't make people understand?

    I can't make people understand some things so I can't be sure if I have any clue in the first place.
    It's been said that intelligent people might not understand what someone else is telling about, because it is below their communication range. So, if I am telling stuff and people do not understand, am I below their comminucation range? In other words, I'm too stupid to be understood.
    How would I tell that from the opöosite situation where I have it covered but the other party isn't equipped to understand it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    Kokoro no Yami Dareyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    459 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    4,879

    Default

    You can be below, or above their range. Some people are abstract others concrete. Some people don't want to understand either. Do not blame yourself for not always succeeding at communication.

    There really is no definate truth, so often times smart people can believe in dumb things. Just as dumb people can believe in something really smart. So it doesn't matter anyways at the end of the day. You do you.

    Its the average person that succeeds the most in life usually, because intelligence isnt universal, its specialized.
    The beginning of the end is beginning.

  3. #3
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    33,418

    Default

    or you could be above their communication range
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so :hi:

  4. #4
    Inactive For A Bit RadicalDoubt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnitOfPopulation View Post
    I can't make people understand some things so I can't be sure if I have any clue in the first place.
    It's been said that intelligent people might not understand what someone else is telling about, because it is below their communication range. So, if I am telling stuff and people do not understand, am I below their comminucation range? In other words, I'm too stupid to be understood.
    How would I tell that from the opöosite situation where I have it covered but the other party isn't equipped to understand it?
    Communication not an automatic skill for everyone, there's a lot of very intelligent people who struggle with wording or communicating their thoughts externally, regardless of how correct or tangible they may be (personally, despite being called intelligent often, I am told that my means of expression are very convoluted or don't always express what I'm trying to express as just a singular example). Not being as talented at communication as others has no bearing on your intelligence.

  5. #5
    ヒカラのミコト Earl Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    837 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,253

    Default

    You seem to be mentioning 'communication range' in the context of intelligence, so I am taking it to mean the intellectual capacity for meaningful conversation.

    There are many aspects of this, not just the individuals' intelligence. The skill and capacity of understanding and being understood is a spectrum of traits with each traits having their own varying strength. One may very well be intelligent but lacking the knowledge or expertise in certain areas or certain methods/forms of thinking. It sounds like an error for it to be summed up as; 'intelligent people might not understand what is below their communication range'; being intelligent in something implies an understanding of at least the basics of that something, just like if you could do calculus, you can certainly do algebra, or simple addition and multiplication- there is more to it than just the overall levels of intelligence being different.

    How can you tell you have it covered? Test yourself. If you can explain what you want to in a consistent way that makes sense and can be proven, then you have your stuff down. Communicating that is another thing in entirely, unrelated to how much you know, or how well you know it. Likewise, you can test others to know what skill / knowledge level they are at.





    This is so much easier with stuff like Maths.
    恒星野神
    祓いたまえ、清めたまえ
    Likes UnitOfPopulation liked this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    28,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnitOfPopulation View Post
    I can't make people understand some things so I can't be sure if I have any clue in the first place.
    It's been said that intelligent people might not understand what someone else is telling about, because it is below their communication range. So, if I am telling stuff and people do not understand, am I below their comminucation range? In other words, I'm too stupid to be understood.
    How would I tell that from the opöosite situation where I have it covered but the other party isn't equipped to understand it?
    I just want to check at the out set, when you say understand do you mean agree?

    I have encountered lots of people before now who can not tell those things apart.

  7. #7
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,356

    Default

    I'm equipped to mostly tell when those two are different. For example on a simple matter, I might tell some grandmother to look on her volume settings on the computer to find why her voice isn't been heard in our meeting. I tell her that the Windows settings are such and such. She might communicate that she doesn't understand anything that I tell. Then I resume to my teacher voice and tell extra simply: there are buttons and buttons all over the computer. Each of them makes what we hear. You might not know which those buttons are, but I will tell you. And when we've gone through every one of them, everyone can hear what you say.

    In this case I got understood. But there are cases where understanding didn't come.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #8
    Senior Member noname3788's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnitOfPopulation View Post
    I can't make people understand some things so I can't be sure if I have any clue in the first place.
    It's been said that intelligent people might not understand what someone else is telling about, because it is below their communication range. So, if I am telling stuff and people do not understand, am I below their comminucation range? In other words, I'm too stupid to be understood.
    How would I tell that from the opöosite situation where I have it covered but the other party isn't equipped to understand it?
    The trick is to adjust your way of speaking to the audience. If you think someone will have trouble understanding something, then it's a good idea to speak slowly and to use concrete examples, maybe a few analogies as well. Something that the other person will understand for use. About the other case, it's usually fairly easy to see when you bore someone by being too slow, so... just do the opposite then.

  9. #9
    Vulnera Sanentur Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    25,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnitOfPopulation View Post
    I can't make people understand some things so I can't be sure if I have any clue in the first place.
    It's been said that intelligent people might not understand what someone else is telling about, because it is below their communication range. So, if I am telling stuff and people do not understand, am I below their comminucation range? In other words, I'm too stupid to be understood.
    How would I tell that from the opöosite situation where I have it covered but the other party isn't equipped to understand it?
    Communication is a two-way street, depending on both your ability to "transmit" and the other person's ability to "receive". This is related to intelligence, but that is hardly the whole story. Imagine, for instance, that you speak Polish and I speak Portugese, and we do not share any common language. I can talk to you all I want, and the fact that you don't understand me has nothing to do with the intelligence of either of us.

    Even with a common language, you could have trouble making yourself understood for a number of reasons. You could be not very verbally articulate, or perhaps simply nervous when you have to explain things. Perhaps you don't have a good grasp of what you are trying to explain yourself. Even this last might have more to do with lack of education (you never learned it properly) rather than lack of intelligence. In any case, perhaps you are articulate and have a good working knowledge of your subject. There are some people who still won't understand, which will be due to their own limitations.

    If you are consistently unable to make yourself understood, no matter the subject or the audience, it still doesn't mean you are stupid. Perhaps you are just not that articulate, or need to put more effort into organizing your thoughts before sharing them. If you find you can make yourself more easily understood in some situations than others, considering the differences between the two can help you see where the problem is. Sometimes, though, the problem lies with the other person and there is just no getting through to them.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Powehi liked this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member ???'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    954
    Socionics
    ? None
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Might I be stupid because I can't make people understand?
    I don't know, but if you replace "stupid" with "ignorant", I'd say yes, you "might" be, as we all "might" be.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnitOfPopulation View Post
    I can't make people understand some things so I can't be sure if I have any clue in the first place.
    It's been said that intelligent people might not understand what someone else is telling about, because it is below their communication range. So, if I am telling stuff and people do not understand, am I below their comminucation range? In other words, I'm too stupid to be understood.
    I don't know, but it's funny to me that from "It's been said that intelligent people might not understand what someone else is telling about, because it is below their communication range." you inferred it could mean you are below their communication range, while I immediately inferred it could mean you are above their communication range...which actually might be the problem to begin with.

    How would I tell that from the opöosite situation where I have it covered but the other party isn't equipped to understand it?
    Well, I don't think you can ever know for sure. Most communication is trial and error because we don't all hold the same meaning or understanding behind things to begin with. And we all perceive things differently, if even only slightly sometimes. I think we all have to come up with our own criteria and intuitions about these things and accept that it will never be perfect and there will always be misunderstanding and/or conflict, regardless of how hard we try to avoid that. Maybe. Hell I'm not even sure I understand my own thinking sometimes, let alone expect someone else will or even can, if I don't.
    We are Bob.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO